Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fatboy Slim to hold NYD party on beach

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
DJ Fatboy Slim is planning to stage a massive beach party in Brighton on New Year's Day, it has been revealed.

The Hove-based DJ, real name Norman Cook, provoked fears over public safety the last time he held a gig on the East Sussex city's beach in July 2002.

Revellers converged for the party in numbers which vastly exceeded expectations, and during the event a woman fell to her death from railings.

Public transport was overwhelmed while emergency services had to weave through crowded streets as the party attracted 250,000 people instead of the anticipated 60,000.

In the aftermath of the free event, there was anger among locals when council staff, helped by the show's organisers, spent days clearing up huge piles of rubbish on the beach, including broken bottles.

Only 20,000 people will be admitted to this New Year's event, titled Big Beach Boutique 3.

It will be ticket-only and open to people who have a BN postcode, subject to a licence being agreed.

The internationally-acclaimed DJ told the Brighton Argus: "I can't believe it is finally happening but it is. I can promise the people of Brighton this is going to be one hell of a show."

Brighton and Hove City Council leader Simon Burgess said: "We have really tried our damnedest to make this happen.

"It's the type of fun event that people want to associate Brighton and Hove with."

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Yay!

now confirmed, 20,000 tickets free with a brighton post code.

just hope it doesnt rain!

f*** the bournemouth game.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
FATBOY SLIM GETS GO AHEAD FOR NEW YEARS DAY BRIGHTON BEACH PARTY - But tickets only available to Brighton residents

CaptainHookCHAMELEON I'm glad that I'm now living in a BN postcode! F*ck NYE - this is going to rock!

"After four years of frustration, Fatboy Slim has finally been given permission to bring his legendary beach party back to Brighton.

The Hove DJ, real name Norman Cook, has exclusively revealed he will be staging Big Beach Boutique 3 on New Year's Day - and said much of the credit was due to The Argus.

The international star said: "I can't believe it is finally happening but it is. I can promise the people of Brighton this is going to be one hell of a show."

The gig at Madeira Drive will be the first the DJ has been allowed to hold on the seafront since July 2002, when 250,000 revellers flocked to Brighton and the crowd spiralled out of control. Two people died later in the night after his performance, one falling from the promenade in King's Road and one having a heart attack.

After the event, emergency services, who had expected 60,000 people, said it had been impossible to manage the crowd. The beach and city was left strewn with litter and broken glass.

Only 20,000 will be admitted to this New Year's event and both the police and Brighton and Hove City Council have given it their backing. Security and safety measures have been meticulously planned and the authorities said they were satisfied there would be no problems.

Since 2002, Cook and his team have staged 12 large events in locations including Loch Ness, Romania and Brazil. He said he was delighted to return to his home city.

"It all came about after I spoke to an Argus reporter when Razorlight played on the beach in the summer.

"He asked me why they could play and I couldn't and I told him the police had banned me. The story went in to the paper and a couple of days later I had a call from the police saying they were willing to talk about it. We've worked with them and now it's actually happening."

The event will be by ticket only, unlike the free-for-alls in 2001 and 2002, but prices and the method of sale have not yet been confirmed.

Most importantly, tickets will only be available to people who have a BN postcode.

Cook said: "This is going to be a local gig for local people."

He said: "Every time I have been shopping in Brighton for the past four years at least one person has come up to me and asked when I'll be doing it again. Every time I have had to say I can't because I've been banned. It's such a relief not to have to say that anymore."

The line-up and timings of the event are due to be released today. Organisers have made a license application for live music, recorded music, video screens, alcohol sales and dancing between 11am and 9pm on January 1.

The stage will be set up near Concorde 2 nightclub facing towards the Palace Pier and revellers will pack the road back towards the city centre.

Fences and stewards will stop people getting on to the beach or on to the promenade at Marine Parade above.

City council leader Simon Burgess said: "We've done everything we could to enable this event and to make sure if it happens it will happen safely."

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Good luck to him! I'll be avoiding Brighton like the plague then on NYD but hopefully if its organised well it'll be great!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
bristolseagull said:
Yay!

now confirmed, 20,000 tickets free with a brighton post code.

just hope it doesnt rain!

f*** the bournemouth game.

will the tickets be free, i thought it was that you had to have a BN postcode to apply but still buy tickets??

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
BN Postcodes cover all the way across to Eastbourne so Its not only people from Brighton then?

Also, wont it be freezing and likely to be pissing it down?

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
Albion Dan said:
BN Postcodes cover all the way across to Eastbourne so Its not only people from Brighton then?

Also, wont it be freezing and likely to be pissing it down?

well you stay infront of the fire nursing your hangover watching the great escape on bbc, i know where ill be, even if it is pissing it down!!

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
surrey jim said:
will the tickets be free, i thought it was that you had to have a BN postcode to apply but still buy tickets??

Oh, not sure.

either way -who cares!

gonna be HUGE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here