Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Faster than the speed of light?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
My money is still on this experiment being proved wrong when it is repeated independently. But I guess we'll have to wait for that...

my money is on new scientific discoveries to flow from new knowledge. remember, once upon a time the world flew through a universal aether, but when they carried out experiment to prove this, it was found to be false. related science from before that discovery wasn't discarded, amended instead, with relativly and quantum theory coming forward to explain the new understanding.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
my money is on new scientific discoveries to flow from new knowledge. remember, once upon a time the world flew through a universal aether, but when they carried out experiment to prove this, it was found to be false. related science from before that discovery wasn't discarded, amended instead, with relativly and quantum theory coming forward to explain the new understanding.

I completely agree with this, no arguments at all. However, along the line there will also be several claims that are later disproven, and I just think that the faster-than-light neutrinos will be one of them.

And don't forget what it was that ultimately proved there was no ether....... relativity.

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
I'm gonna check all this out with the hairdresser in the morning, he knows everything about anything, I think?

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
As I understand it, (poorly), the theory of special relativity does not forbid faster than light travel.
Anything moving AT the speed of light would aquire infinite mass, and therefore require infinite energy to get it to that speed.

Hence the proliferation of SciFi stories proposing hyperspace, and warp speed, which entail a "jump" from sub-light travel to faster than light travel.

In other areas of science, we have the concept of inviolable areas which particles simply "jump" around. (I'm specifically thinking about electron orbits, (or more accurately, quantum energy trasitions) here), so why should a particle not have an ability to jump around the light speed barier.

Rather than proving Einstein wrong, IF this observed effect is real, then we may see the beginings of a theory to tie Einstenian physics to Quantum physics.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15791236

So they've done it again. I might as well ignore my Physics A-Level, I wonder how many other LIES they taught me.

It has been submitted to the Journal of High Energy Physics, but has not yet been reviewed by the scientific community.

Calm down, dear, it's only a preliminary result.

As other reports say, even if this re-worked version of the experiment is confirmed:

The scientists who appeared to have found in September that certain subatomic particles can travel faster than light have ruled out one potential source of error in their measurements after completing a second, fine-tuned version of their experiment.

It's not 100%... yet.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
faster than the speed of light I wanna make a supersonic man out of you...

Wow, a fundamental cornerstone of modern physics could be unravelling in front of our eyes.

SPEED OF LIGHT

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seems to me if there is something wrong with the way the CERN kit operates and they rerun the experiment, then they could well get the same faulty result. According to the BBC website 'The US Minos experiment and Japan's T2K experiment will also test the observations. It is likely to be several months before they report back'. If these experiments give the same findings, then that will be the time to tear up the text books. IMHO, like.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Think how fast they would go if they didn't have to travel through all that rock. Something that light can't do anyway!
How do they know that the Neutrinos that have been received are the same ones that were sent. Are they addressed, like my mail so that I would receive my electricity bill before I have even used the electricity I have been charged for.
My head hurts.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm not sure how it unravels the theory of relativity. Surely it just means that the maximum speed is simply slightly higher than the speed of light, and that time stops at that new maximum speed as opposed to the slilghtly slower speed of light?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm not sure how it unravels the theory of relativity. Surely it just means that the maximum speed is simply slightly higher than the speed of light, and that time stops at that new maximum speed as opposed to the slilghtly slower speed of light?
That is still the one bit I really can't get my head round. The neutrinos are emitted, then they're received. If they're still being received after they've been emitted then what's the problem? I don't see how that destroys the law of Cause and Effect and proves that I'm my grandfather's grandfather or whatever.

I think I asked this when the original thread was first posted, if one of the more clever souls who answered it before could point me in the direction of their answer I'd be grateful.

The problem being that lots of our current understanding of physics is based upon the speed of light being the upper limit, and this understanding works, in that the adjustments that we make based upon this understanding give us correct results.

Sorry for being slightly O/T, but I heard this great talk in the Guardian Science podcasts over the last few weeks which explains the implications of some of this higher level physics. He was talking about the everyday application of the general and special laws of relativity in GPS tracking. (Very) Basically, GPS relies upon measuring the time that it takes a signal to bounce between a satellite and and a reciever - but time travels slower on the satellites because they are travelling around the earth at 7,000km an hour. At the same time, the curvature of space around the earth means that time is a little faster on the surface than in orbit; basically these two forces oppose each other (but not exactly). GPS calculations have to take account of these two separate movements, or else it would quickly become completely inaccurate. If our understanding of (the specific nature of) relativity isn't correct, then there's no way that we'd make the right adjustments, and GPS would be completely useless. I would imagine that a similar thing is true with regards to the speed of light - either our understanding of the magnitude (if not the reasoning) is correct, or we've been ridiculously lucky to have just happened to have reached a correct estimate of the effects based on a completely wrong methodology.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The problem being that lots of our current understanding of physics is based upon the speed of light being the upper limit, and this understanding works, in that the adjustments that we make based upon this understanding give us correct results.

Sorry for being slightly O/T, but I heard this great talk in the Guardian Science podcasts over the last few weeks which explains the implications of some of this higher level physics. He was talking about the everyday application of the general and special laws of relativity in GPS tracking. (Very) Basically, GPS relies upon measuring the time that it takes a signal to bounce between a satellite and and a reciever - but time travels slower on the satellites because they are travelling around the earth at 7,000km an hour. At the same time, the curvature of space around the earth means that time is a little faster on the surface than in orbit; basically these two forces oppose each other (but not exactly). GPS calculations have to take account of these two separate movements, or else it would quickly become completely inaccurate. If our understanding of (the specific nature of) relativity isn't correct, then there's no way that we'd make the right adjustments, and GPS would be completely useless. I would imagine that a similar thing is true with regards to the speed of light - either our understanding of the magnitude (if not the reasoning) is correct, or we've been ridiculously lucky to have just happened to have reached a correct estimate of the effects based on a completely wrong methodology.
I understand what you're saying (no I do, really), but surely the differences here aren't sufficient to throw off yer bog-standard £100 satnav system? In much the same way as wind-up clocks work perfectly well in daily use and also the way that Newtonian science explained the basics of gravity and planetary orbits?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

If only it were that simple. E=mc2 is supposed to be a universal equation to be able to calculate the energy of all particles, however it isn't going to be applicable to a particle that could supposedly go faster that the speed of light when Einstein's theory maintains in that event, the particle would have infinite mass (special relativity dictates that a particle gains mass the faster it goes, and therefore requires more energy to go faster). Therefore you can't just adjust the speed of light that Einstein held as a constant in the universe, because we can measure that speed and know what it is.

The problem is, if the neutrinos are going this fast, we currently have no scientific theory or explanation as to why this is the case, or to make any calculations thereafter.

I remember doing this proof for my A-level, very rewarding to get to such a simplistic equation at the end of it. To be honest, can hardly make head nor tail of it now!

file0011.jpg
file0012.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here