Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

fare dodging

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Because every div does the same, turns up five minutes before the train is due, not knowing if the ticket office is open or closed, the ticket machines are in or out of action or have a twenty div long queue.

Tip for the future: buy a Permit To Travel ticket from the machine on the Brighton-bound side of Preston Park station. Pay the minimum it accepts (10p if memory serves) then if challenged you got proof you at least tried to buy a ticket.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
My best mate Jez Webber RIP proudly travelled to Rochdale away in 1972 jumping trains all the way there and back , dodged every fare bar one of 50p !!!

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Thanks for that, and well done for knowing I am a div.

You've spectacularly missed the point I was making. OK, it was 10 minutes, or maybe it was 15. That bit's irrelevant. My point is that why should everyone be expected to know or anticipate in advance if buying a ticket is going to take twice or three times as long as it normally does due to unforseen circumstances? And at what point do you give up your place in the queue to dash through the tunnel to the other platform to get a permit to travel, providing you already know about that (although I do now, so actual real thanks for that bit)?

The point is, that it's not always that simple. That's the bit I was responding to in the other post.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
been fined for only having a permit to travel before, whilst looking for a train gaurd to buy a ticket, apparantly they are meaningless. was gutted

...by committing assault. Well done Big Man, well done Inspector.

(and by the way, I don't disagree that the fare dodger was a stupid tw*t, but that doesn't mean what the inspector and the Big Man did was right).

This is one intrinsic fact of that matter. It's not a citizen's arrest situation, nor a heroic act by 'Big Man' to forcibly remove the kid.
The lads' rights were violated - even if he was violating the rules of the railway company.

Amusing to see:

Fare-Dodger Train Tussle Is Internet Hit - Yahoo!

(probably fixtures)

But when I went looking on youtube for it, I stumbled across this short film, which I thought was proper funny so I'm sharing it with you lucky people. :thumbsup:

[yt]OhM52NBqDM8[/yt]

That was quite good.
It reminded me of an episode when I caught my first German bus from Dusseldorf to Metman; got on the bus at the side (middle of bus) and sat next to a middle-aged lady. Several people on the bus turned and stared at me, rather nasty looks flashed my way, and the biddy shuffled a couple of inches toward the window to show 'he's not with me'.
Then I felt, after a minute or two of this procedure, uncomfortable enough to ask (in English) if she next to me knew what was going on?
"do you haff ein ticket?" she muttered. "Yes of course", and I produced the article. "ER IST EIN AUSLANDER" she announced to the whole bus, and then let me know I had to cancel the ticket at a little machine near the door.
Natch, I got up, directed by her pointing to this machine which clunked a pattern of holes in the ticket, then re-took my seat while waving the perforated item aloft - whereupon the busload of natives nodded their approval and tangible relief.
Wonderful race, the Chermans.

Last edited:

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
This is one intrinsic fact of that matter. It's not a citizen's arrest situation, nor a heroic act by 'Big Man' to forcibly remove the kid.
The lads' rights were violated - even if he was violating the rules of the railway company.

In one quote we have the main thing that is wrong with this country today! Less obsessing with the rights of the individual & more emphasis on responsibility to the rest of society & we'd be alot better off.

In one quote we have the main thing that is wrong with this country today! Less obsessing with the rights of the individual & more emphasis on responsibility to the rest of society & we'd be alot better off.

Until you get your rights violated, of course.

And...who are these "rest of society" and when does one sector become the one with the enphasis - only when they are the majority?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
First clip wasted 10 minutes of my life - A Guardian Readers Wet Dream - enjoyed the second clip though, reminds me of some the Gents I come across Offshore... :D

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
My best mate Jez Webber RIP proudly travelled to Rochdale away in 1972 jumping trains all the way there and back , dodged every fare bar one of 50p !!!

Who remembers the guy from Bexhill in the late 70's who was Britain's most notorious fare dodger? So much so, the local police nicknamed him "awayday" & he even made The Sun!

The man who had mental health issue's would simply get on a train at Bexhill without a ticket & ride to all points of the country until he was caught. Due to his mental state, prosecution cases were usually thrown out. After time, British Rail even issued him with a letter to show inspectors should he get caught, instructing them to stick him on a train back towards Sussex. By this time, Bexhill Police were fed up of collecting him from wherever he'd been caught.

A legend who BR didn't know what to do about & had them well & truly owned!:D

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I was in Bologna at the weekend. Fantastic local bus service. Reliable, frequent, cheap (1'50 Euro) for unlimited travel for about 90 minutes. But nobody buys a ticket. You don't buy a ticket off the driver, there's a coin machine and a swipe card thing on board but literally nobody bothers using them. Well I did once, then thought f*** it, nobody else is. Apparently the machines are seldom in working order anyways. You can sort of see why Italy's run up such a large budget deficit :lol:

In the Seventies my bruv worked for British Rail. Staff were allowed a small number of free tickets a year. In those days the destination on the tickets had to be hand-written. Bruv used to be based at Rainham, Kent. He used to always write 'Stone Crossing' as the destination, and travelled the length and breadth of the UK counting on the assumption that not a single ticket inspector would know where such a place was, or if it even existed. :lol:

It is just by the Dartford River crossing, lovely spot, not. Gets anorak.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I'm struggling to think of any situation that can be trumped by a big pi$$ed off Jocko.
Someone who isnt impressed with overweight jocks giving it the large one ? for what it's worth , we dont know whether the inspector or the kid was in the right , and as somebody stated earlier , they aren't always right, if it was my son in the video i'd be looking for the fat jock to give him some of his own medicine.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Someone who isnt impressed with overweight jocks giving it the large one ? for what it's worth , we dont know whether the inspector or the kid was in the right , and as somebody stated earlier , they aren't always right, if it was my son in the video i'd be looking for the fat jock to give him some of his own medicine.
What if you were the ugly woman with three kids, cold and pissed off that some little scrote who seemingly hadn't paid his way was holding the whole train up?

Worth also bearing in mind that the twat in question had been potty-mouthed for over 5 minutes before the film started.

The father of the 19 y/o scrote has said he had been sold two single tickets by mistake. CHINNY fecking RECK ON.

cyanide-sid

May 20, 2010
Worthing

Ha ha I remember Jez. Worlds loudest burper if I remember right.I still remember where I was when I heard the news. Up Viccy park with evryone.

Nige Erskine would never have had to stump up ten bob......amateur.

Last edited:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
What if you were the ugly woman with three kids, cold and pissed off that some little scrote who seemingly hadn't paid his way was holding the whole train up?

Worth also bearing in mind that the twat in question had been potty-mouthed for over 5 minutes before the film started.

The father of the 19 y/o scrote has said he had been sold two single tickets by mistake. CHINNY fecking RECK ON.
He wasnt really holding the train up was he ? the ticket inspector could have got the train moving and called ahead for someone to meet the train, and as i've said , ticket inspectors are often jobsworth tossers, the one on the video was grandstanding for effect imo, and as for the fat tosser picking on a kid half his size , bet he wouldnt have been so keen to sort out the "problem" had it been a big lump in question, wanker.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
if it was my son in the video i'd be looking for the fat jock to give him some of his own medicine.

Why? If it was me in the video my father would have called me a f***ing twat and told me to buy a ticket in the future.

This approach is becoming all too common these days. It happens in schools all the time. In the past if you misbehaved you got told off at school and then a telling off at home when your parents found out. These days the parents march up to the school and defend their children regardless. It's not right.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton

He wasn't holding the train up, the inspector was.

And much as though I agree he was indeed a foul mouthed little scrote, he didn't deserve to be assaulted for it. As bushy says the inspector could have done a number of things in this situation, but he made the decision to hold the train up, not the scrote.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here