Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

fare dodging

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Interesting to read on another thread about car parking that the various railways cannot fine you for fare dodging, you are only obliged to pay the standard fare not a penalty.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Interesting to read on another thread about car parking that the various railways cannot fine you for fare dodging, you are only obliged to pay the standard fare not a penalty.

A penalty fare is legally enshrined in the law so if you get charged one it has the same legality of not paying a court fine and you can and will be sent down if you don't pay it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A penalty fare is legally enshrined in the law so if you get charged one it has the same legality of not paying a court fine and you can and will be sent down if you don't pay it.

This was stated on here to be incorrect and that the legal obligation is to pay the correct fare. I am sure that somebody will be able to find and highlight the actual ruling if it exists.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Yes and no. A lawyer friend of a friend was the one who wrote this up for Andrew Gilligan for the Evening Standard a year or two back.

10 ways to avoid penalty fares on trains | News

You can be cautioned by an inspector if your details come up as an unpaid penalty fare and then you will be arrested. Simplest way to avoid a penalty fare is pay the correct fare and buy your ticket and don't arse about trying to be clever.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You can be cautioned by an inspector if your details come up as an unpaid penalty fare and then you will be arrested. Simplest way to avoid a penalty fare is pay the correct fare and buy your ticket and don't arse about trying to be clever.

Yes. I don't dispute that but there are circumstances where inspectors can't fine you and you are never under any obligation to pay the fine there and then. You are obliged to pay the minimum fare and then the penalty within 21 days apparently. My mate's friend who wrote that piece for Gilligan is paid a lot of money to be clever.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think the article in The Evening Standard as highlighted in post no 7 shows that even employees like Ernest who with the best will in the world to do the right thing for the employers, do not know the law. and can only act on what they have been told to do.

Yes. I don't dispute that but there are circumstances where inspectors can't fine you and you are never under any obligation to pay the fine there and then. You are obliged to pay the minimum fare and then the penalty within 21 days apparently. My mate's friend who wrote that piece for Gilligan is paid a lot of money to be clever.

...But I suspect p*ss*d off Scottish big man who wants to get home would trump your clever mate if he was trying to argue the toss about whether or not he was liable for a penalty fare on a rush hour train in the Edinburgh suburbs.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
...But I suspect p*ss*d off Scottish big man who wants to get home would trump your clever mate if he was trying to argue the toss about whether or not he was liable for a penalty fare on a rush hour train in the Edinburgh suburbs.

...by committing assault. Well done Big Man, well done Inspector.

(and by the way, I don't disagree that the fare dodger was a stupid tw*t, but that doesn't mean what the inspector and the Big Man did was right).

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Simplest way to avoid a penalty fare is pay the correct fare and buy your ticket and don't arse about trying to be clever.

I don't think anyone would dispute this, but it is based on the assumption that ticket inspectors are never wrong - of course with them being human we know that mistakes will be made and occasionally guards will get things wrong, so it is best to know your rights. This isn't a dig at railway staff btw, it's fact in any line of work.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
As a lad in the late 70's - early 80's I used to go to the goldstone from HH. I don't think I ever bought a ticket. Would not have been able, I only earned enough from my paper round to get in the ground.

Used to pick up any pink ticket and go through Hove station in the middle of a crowd, never caught

(no doubt I should be hung)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
In the Seventies my bruv worked for British Rail. Staff were allowed a small number of free tickets a year. In those days the destination on the tickets had to be hand-written. Bruv used to be based at Rainham, Kent. He used to always write 'Stone Crossing' as the destination, and travelled the length and breadth of the UK counting on the assumption that not a single ticket inspector would know where such a place was, or if it even existed. :lol:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I've got some simple rules that could rival those of the Evening Standard

1 If you don't want a penalty fare, buy a ticket, the right ticket, arrive at the station in time to buy one. Would you try and get on a plane claiming you hadn't had time to buy a ticket?
2 If you don't want a parking fine, park where you're supposed to, buy an appropriate ticket for the length of time you wish to park
3 If you don't want a speeding ticket, don't break the speed limit. Don't give me sh*t about the camera being the wrong colour or not being calibrated properly so in fact, could have been .01 mph hour out when you were caught doing 98....

It's really very simple!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
...But I suspect p*ss*d off Scottish big man who wants to get home would trump your clever mate
I'm struggling to think of any situation that can be trumped by a big pi$$ed off Jocko.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
I've got some simple rules that could rival those of the Evening Standard

1 If you don't want a penalty fare, buy a ticket, the right ticket, arrive at the station in time to buy one. Would you try and get on a plane claiming you hadn't had time to buy a ticket?
2 If you don't want a parking fine, park where you're supposed to, buy an appropriate ticket for the length of time you wish to park
3 If you don't want a speeding ticket, don't break the speed limit. Don't give me sh*t about the camera being the wrong colour or not being calibrated properly so in fact, could have been .01 mph hour out when you were caught doing 98....

It's really very simple!

No it isn't. Although I agree with number 3.

1. I turned up at Preston Park last week, had five minutes before the train was due. Bob had closed the ticket office and gone home. Big queue at machine largely filled with people who didn't know how to work it (I must confess I find it quite complicated too). Managed to get the tickets as the train was pulling in but what if I hadn't? I had theatre tickets and would have missed the show. Am I expected to turn up five minutes earlier because I was clairvoyant enough to know that the ticket office had been closed that day for no apparent reason?

2. What if you're 'fined' for an amount the parking company isn't legally entitled to? For example you park in a private pay and display for an hour at £1 an hour, and you get held up and return 15 mins late? And you get a 'fine' for £60? The parking company is only legally entitled to 25p but they threaten you for £60? Knowing your rights in instances like that can save you a lot of money.

No one's advocating fare dodging, only that the law is applied correctly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here