Votes: 23 50.0%
  • I don't own either but GAS is BEST

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • I don't own either but COAL is BEST

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
Ok cool. So what do you suggest cooking for 70 people then. Thinking along the lines of a couple of butterflyed lamp legs, as well as the usual home made burgers, good quality susages etc.

What about side dishes - hope you dont mid me asking ?

cheers

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
We have a gas one (in fact we bought our latest in April £300 down to half price the used Tesco vouchers to get another £100 off so it cost £50 - bargin).

You have to put a deposit on your first gas bottle which was push up the but once you have it you only pay for gas.

I use ours at least twice a week in summer to cook tea so I wouldn't want the hassle of a coal one as its ready to cook a couple of minutes after switching on.

Other cons of coal is it can be smokier for neighbours
You might as well cook indoors on the normal hob imho.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I have a gas BBQ and its ace (Weber). Connect up to the gas and whoosh. 10 mins for burgers, 20 for Sausages and half hour for chicken and all cooked (not half done and the other half burnt)

Coal BBQ’s are for anoraks. No-one will notice the difference in taste and you have to mess around lighting the thing. If your patience is as thin as mine, this results in a can of petrol being thrown on followed by a near death experience. I have neither, the time, patience or energy levels to mess about with all that.

For all those who say ‘It’s like cooking indoors’ it’s not

I can cook in the Sun (if there is any) with a beer
It doesn’t stink the house out or set the smoke alarm off
It also means that Salad and other such girly activities are firmly in the court of my wife.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
GO ON MY SON...:thumbsup:

have you tried a leg of pork in it...?? will take about 4 hours and two bags of brickettes but well worth it...

Yes, and it is, bloody lovely way to cook a joint of meat. Lots of coca cola and brown sugar for the glazing.

I need to know how to do the whole chicken in a barbie.

Please tell.

You need a kettle BBQ, and use the indirect heat method (true barbecueing). The Weber has 2 frames in the bottom grate, you set your briquettes alight in each side, and place a foil tray in the middle (to catch the juices). Then put the grill on, and put your chicken, turkey, duck, pheasants, pork joint, rib of beef, venison haunch, saddle of hare, or leg of lamb in the middle, open the bottom vent and the vent on the lid, and put the lid on. Leave it for 1 hour, do not lift the lid. Then go in and check with a meat thermometer, and probably add a few more briquettes. Lid back on, do not remove lid for another 30 mins or so, and you'll probably find the chicken is cooked to perfection, and is wonderfully juicy, not at all dried out. A large chicken will take about 1 -1.5 hours, the Xmas turkey took about 3 hours, so it is quicker than in the oven too (it gets really hot in there)

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
Gas powered is NOT a BBQ. It is just outdoor grilling.....food doesnt look smell or taste the same....use real charcoal and wait until completely white before bunging on your chosen cuts. Do not use firelighters or accelerants (sp?) as they just taint the food....IMHO of course....

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
and even after nearly 30 years of cooking,I STILL USE A FOOD PROBE,TO CHECK THE ITEMS,EVEN IF I ATTEND SOMEONE ELSES,

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Coal BBQ’s are for anoraks. No-one will notice the difference in taste and you have to mess around lighting the thing. If your patience is as thin as mine, this results in a can of petrol being thrown on followed by a near death experience. I have neither, the time, patience or energy levels to mess about with all that.

I would have to call you out on that, there is a definate difference in the taste, not that gas BBQd food is bad, in fact, done properly it is as good (but different) to charcoal.

As for lighting it, well, that's more about technique and practice, I light mine with screwed up newspaper, an old milk or juice carton and a BBQ lighter chimney thing, no dramas.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
You might as well cook indoors on the normal hob imho.

When you say hob I assume you mean grill, otherwise you will need a frying pan, far less healthy.

The grill on my cooker is not as efficient as my barbeque, it is no where near as big, I'd have to cook one steak at a time and I'd much rather cook out in the fresh air.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Coal all the way for me, and lighting it is half the fun. I usually build the coals into a little pyramid shape, surround it with firelighters and light up. Leave it for 20-30 minutes till the coals are nice and white, poke it about a bit, then spread them out, chuck a few extra lumps on, put the grill over the top and I'm ready to rock.

Nothing ever gets burnt on my BBQ, I am highly attentive and keep things turning constantly. My one bit of cheating though is that I give chicken 20 minutes in the over first before putting it on my grill. I also like closing the lid a few times to really smoke the meat through. Much as I love the meat, I think my FAVOURITIST thing off the BBQ is fresh corn on the cob cooked in butter. Its so good I could cry.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Coal Chimneys rule for lighting the BBQ, peice of piss and get the coals white hot in no time.

Sit back and have a bottle of beer while it warms up, simple.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I would have to call you out on that, there is a definate difference in the taste, not that gas BBQd food is bad, in fact, done properly it is as good (but different) to charcoal.

I'd concede that coal BBQ might taste different (although If I was forced to a blind test, I'd struggle to tell you which is which) but better taste is almost always because of the quality of meat. I'd back up TLO's comment that you should make your own burgers etc as its piss easy to do (even accounting for my laziness described above). There is no contest between make your own burgers and those abomonations sold in the frozen isle in ASDA.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The butchers in Southwick do some tremendous burgers. I am especially partial to their chilli burgers.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Coal all the way for me, and lighting it is half the fun. I usually build the coals into a little pyramid shape, surround it with firelighters and light up. Leave it for 20-30 minutes till the coals are nice and white, poke it about a bit, then spread them out, chuck a few extra lumps on, put the grill over the top and I'm ready to rock.

This is my point. Whilst Easy is poking hot things with a stick like someone at Scout camp, I'll be eating Burgers, Sausages and Chicken as it only takes half an hour to do the whole lot.

Gas BBQ's are for anyone who hates pointless faffing about.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
The butchers in Southwick do some tremendous burgers. I am especially partial to their chilli burgers.

Yup, a decent butcher will knock up a spot on burger, as good as if you make it yourself. Me, I prefer my burger un-minced, I like a steak.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This is my point. Whilst Easy is poking hot things with a stick like someone at Scout camp, I'll be eating Burgers, Sausages and Chicken as it only takes half an hour to do the whole lot.

Gas BBQ's are for anyone who hates pointless faffing about.

Why are you in such a tearing hurry ? I like nothing more than to spend an entire afternoon / evening in the garden doing a BBQ. Its not a RACE to get things lit, cooked and scoffed in as little time as possible is it.

Slow down. Enjoy the faff. Its all part of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here