Votes: 23 50.0%
  • I don't own either but GAS is BEST

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • I don't own either but COAL is BEST

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Why are you in such a tearing hurry ? I like nothing more than to spend an entire afternoon / evening in the garden doing a BBQ. Its not a RACE to get things lit, cooked and scoffed in as little time as possible is it.

Slow down. Enjoy the faff. Its all part of it.

Normally I'm a hurry because of disorganisation. If I had a coal BBQ, anyone waiting for food in my household would have died of starvation or at the very least grown a beard before dinner was served.

I blame the kids. I used to sit on my arse, read the paper and watch Football Focus before they came along.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I have one of each....a small table top gas barbie for just me or the immediate family (3 of us) and a large charcoal barbie for parties.

I love the ease of gas but i love the ambience of charcoal. The waiting for it to heat up is all part of the fun....having a chat with me mates over a few cold ones...who cares if it takes an hour before it's ready !!!

Got a party this sunday with about 15 coming over. Hopefully the weather will be good.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
We do this BBQ thing every year, comes round like Christmas. I regularly cook for 30-40 people, on at different times charcoal and gas. Gas is far superior because of it's controllability. As far as the BBQ taste goes, that comes from the fat in the meats dripping on the cooking medium, the smoke drifting up and mixing with the stuff you are cooking, so any difference in taste is purely imaginary.
To get the real outside cooked taste you need to cook over wood as then you get the flavour of the burning wood as well on the food, this is why they smoke stuff over oak chips etc.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Well, I forgot to mention that I shall be cooking on my BBQ from a top floor balcony :lol:
Thankfully there aren't too many windows near me, so I may get away with coal...

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I recently bought a Napoleon LE25 Burner Gas Barbecue from M&S as the webpage said that only "some assembly required"

Well it was delivered, I looked at the instructions, I used it as a table and finally got someone else to build it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Funniest thing I've seen on NSC!

:thumbsup:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
There’ll be some serious BBQs out here on July 4. They may have their faults but the Yanks do make a damn fine barbie.

BBQ.jpg

Doh - that's not what it looks like on the instructions

Last edited:

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
As an aside, has anyone else tried the Insanity Chilli sauce sold in the shops? I bought some the other day and it has a warning not to be consumed if you have respiratory or heart problems! Truly quite hot.!!!

Gas BBQ everytime. Just make sure you put more charcoal in the middle so that you can distribute the food temporarily around the outer edge of the BBQ to slow down the cooking time if you have to. I bougght my brother a gas BBQ a couple of years ago and it was pretty inept imo.

The butchers in Southwick do some tremendous burgers. I am especially partial to their chilli burgers.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I went to a BBQ at a mate's a couple of months ago, and it was the usual story. A pisshead failing to cook the meat properly, and people commenting on the pinkness of the chicken :sick:

The day was saved by another mate bringing pre-cooked BBQ food, that just needed warming through :thumbsup:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
One day, before I die, I shall gatecrash a BBQ at Easy 10's.

It will be a lifetime's ambition fulfilled.

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
I have both, a nice webber kettle charcoal one for cooking whole legs of pork or larger joins.

A nice gas webber ( £150 last year end of season) now £429 in B&Q.. this one we use at least 4 times a week, we even cook breakfast on it at a weekend, try it bacon is fantastic.....
on the gas one i have a covering of lava rock ( stolen from Ascension Island) which absorbs the fats and greases and adds flavour.

BBQ should be cooked slow and turning ALL the time.....its a strange British misconception that BBQ food should be burned...

My wife taught me all to know about BBQ and I agree with an earlier poster...try BBQ sweetcorn its fantastic.

AnD what the fu@@k is BBQ season? I cooked a boxing day BBQ last year 6" snow on the table made an instant beer cooler.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here