Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FAO: Anyone who wishes to show their support to students...

sammy g

I have no problem with the students views and their way of protesting, but when I am starting to call the bus stop at Coldean Lane home due to the many painfully cold hours I have waited in vain for a 28 or 29 to pull up, whilst watching the numerous half empty 25s trundle past depositing the protesting children back to their halls of residence I could cheerfully murder a couple of them.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Because it was bitterly cold? I had my scarf up today as well. It was freezing out.

This. Many students had their scarfs up even at college! Cold cold day today.

:lolol::lolol: of course.

2501156947-fresh-student-protests-kick-across-uk.jpg

Student-protests-006.jpg

Student-protest-takes-over-Whitehall-London-UK_516981.jpg
Student-protest-takes-over-Whitehall-London-UK_517042.jpg

66408580-student-protest.jpg

Last edited:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
:lolol::lolol: of course.

2501156947-fresh-student-protests-kick-across-uk.jpg

Student-protests-006.jpg

Student-protest-takes-over-Whitehall-London-UK_516981.jpg
Student-protest-takes-over-Whitehall-London-UK_517042.jpg

66408580-student-protest.jpg

Hey, I could post several pictures of the peaceful smiling students marching!

But then i wouldn't be telling the whole story. Kinda like your trying to do.

You can't see but the picture of me standing infront of those riot police - I had my scarf up. I was freezing. I took it down when i started to eat and drink though (I had a chocolate bar and some pepsi! Yum).

I had my scarf up at college, on the way in at 8ish, on the way to the march. It was COLD.

If your going to post pictures like that please make sure you post the other side that reflects the majority instead of just try to make us all look bad. Its all about proportions.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

You can't see but the picture of me standing infront of those riot police - I had my scarf up. I was freezing. I took it down when i started to eat and drink though (I had a chocolate bar and some pepsi! Yum).

I had my scarf up at college, on the way in at 8ish, on the way to the march. It was COLD.

If your going to post pictures like that please make sure you post the other side that reflects the majority instead of just try to make us all look bad. Its all about proportions.

:yawn:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009

If everyone out of the 600 who went yesterday was like that, why were there only 5 arrests? Yawn all you want, your only yawning because the same shit gets said about us prompting the same response.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
oh look, and that's one ,two, three ,four ,five press photographers on hand to take a piccy of the naughty "student" sticking the welly into a defenceless shop front....yaaaaaawn

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Because it was bitterly cold? I had my scarf up today as well. It was freezing out.

Nothing like it, I asked "Why did some of the 'students' in the marches have their faces concealed behind scarves? " The photos I posted showed plenty of people with their faces on view, some of them smiling, so why did the others hide their faces? You suggested the only reaosn people did that was becasue it was cold, when that is not the case. So again, if it was a peaceful protest, why did some of them conceal their faces? Do you know?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Nothing like it, I asked "Why did some of the 'students' in the marches have their faces concealed behind scarves? " The photos I posted showed plenty of people with their faces on view, some of them smiling, so why did the others hide their faces? You suggested the only reaosn people did that was becasue it was cold, when that is not the case. So again, if it was a peaceful protest, why did some of them conceal their faces? Do you know?

The majority? To keep warm. Some chose not to or didn't have a scarf.
The others? Those photos were taken once events were hi-jacked so its to avoid identification.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Well good on the students for keeping to their principals and indulging in peaceful protest, it's a shame the others are trying to hijack your cause for their apparently politically motivated reasons; it doesn't help your cause in the eyes of some. It's a shame the government has done this in such as way as to have caused all this, try not to confuse the current situation with party politics though, it was inevitable, and was always going to happen. I think the current coalition government has been very heavy handed in how they have introduced this and other austerity measures, but perhaps that is what this country needed, either way, keep up the peaceful stuff, perhaps there is a compromise in there somewhere.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Well good on the students for keeping to their principals and indulging in peaceful protest, it's a shame the others are trying to hijack your cause for their apparently politically motivated reasons; it doesn't help your cause in the eyes of some. It's a shame the government has done this in such as way as to have caused all this, try not to confuse the current situation with party politics though, it was inevitable, and was always going to happen. I think the current coalition government has been very heavy handed in how they have introduced this and other austerity measures, but perhaps that is what this country needed, either way, keep up the peaceful stuff, perhaps there is a compromise in there somewhere.

Superphil. really good points there. This problem was and should be laid at labours door, we all know the mess they left and probably more so when they realised they couldn't address, hence their election defeat.... Off work at the moment so took the opportunity to visit Hove town Hall yesterday. Have to say for every student there had to be at least 10 anarchists. My suggestion to the students is you can see who they are, tell them to do one. Unless you do you are fighting a losing battle !!! Simple fact

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
NO IFS. NO BUTS. NO EDUCATION CUTS!

I don't think that tuition fees represent a cut do they, rather a different way of funding Universities?

I'm against tuition fees btw, but then I'm also against thickos demanding the right to go to University just as a way of avoiding work for a few years too.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
If everyone out of the 600 who went yesterday was like that, why were there only 5 arrests? Yawn all you want, your only yawning because the same shit gets said about us prompting the same response.

Well the BBC (not the Mail) reported yesterday that 100 out of the alleged 600 marchers decided to enter a multi story car park and hurl missiles and the BBC also reported that another group decided to not follow the agreed course of the march. Whilst I'm sure that you were on your best behaviour 16%+ is a fairly large percentage of criminals. Not really making a good impression are it ? Now I know that many people claim that the Police were heavy handed but at the same time how much provocation did they have ? Agreed two wrongs don't make a right but who started the ball rolling ?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I don't think that tuition fees represent a cut do they, rather a different way of funding Universities?

I'm against tuition fees btw, but then I'm also against thickos demanding the right to go to University just as a way of avoiding work for a few years too.

Its a chant.

We're against the rises but also against the funding cuts that mean subjects like Arts and Humanities can't run - discriminating based on peoples talents.

Oh and its a chant, something that unites students since some of us don't mind a small rise because of the times and simply find 9k a year a rip off and disproportionate, some want no fees full stop, some want no rise full stop. We all don't want to see cuts to Education that will give the government justification for cuts because we're making up the difference (or part of it).

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Well the BBC (not the Mail) reported yesterday that 100 out of the alleged 600 marchers decided to enter a multi story car park and hurl missiles and the BBC also reported that another group decided to not follow the agreed course of the march. Whilst I'm sure that you were on your best behaviour 16%+ is a fairly large percentage of criminals. Not really making a good impression are it ? Now I know that many people claim that the Police were heavy handed but at the same time how much provocation did they have ? Agreed two wrongs don't make a right but who started the ball rolling ?

And to clarify: The beeb said 100 entered Norton Road car park. Stuff was thrown by about 2 stupid children, who were then stopped BY OTHER STUDENTS from throwing stuff as well as being told to "stop throwing shit" (a la Millbank actually)

Also: This "we didn't follow the agreed route" is where at Brunswick square the unnessecery ketteling that started, meant that people did run on to the squre to get around a police line AFAIK. (If i'm wrong, i'm happy for Edna to quote me wrong since she's a pig :wink: :kiss:)

ALSO: The students on the carpark walked off teh car park after they unfurled their banner.

The two twats throwing and causing damaged deserved to be arrested even though they weren't. I still stand by the point that our marches are being misrepresented though but we've got to accept that its going to happen and it just means that these times between the marches we must keep calm and explain what actually happened beyond the shock photos.

Last edited:

Its a chant.

But it's a chant that gives the impression that students don't really know what they are talking about. I'm not sure it helps the cause greatly.

We're against the rises but also against the funding cuts that mean subjects like Arts and Humanities can't run - discriminating based on peoples talents.

In my view it's not at all about discriminating based on people's talents, but based on people's needs. Not all career paths utilise skills that are acquired exclusively at university; in that case why are we spending public money to send them off to get a superfluous qualification?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
But it's a chant that gives the impression that students don't really know what they are talking about. I'm not sure it helps the cause greatly.

In my view it's not at all about discriminating based on people's talents, but based on people's needs. Not all career paths utilise skills that are acquired exclusively at university; in that case why are we spending public money to send them off to get a superfluous qualification?

You mean when we say McGleish is a wanker, we're showing we don't know what we're talking about? Its (i'm guessing) quite an old chant. We sing it about the cuts to FE funding, the fact the raises ARE linked to the cuts, and because we are protesting against cuts at all levels.

Every area needs experts, then theres the crossover skills that come from research, documentation, showing committment, being able to link information at a more advanced level. Society needs a workforce that can do those things... but how much is debateable and I think that every student has the right to study what ever course represents their talents because it'll have benifits no matter what job they go in to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here