Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FAO: Anyone who wishes to show their support to students...

D

Deleted User X18H

Whats this for again? Are they trying to be anarchistic? In other words showing off. Maybe the condems will toughen up the A Level exam and make it more advanced so some of these ordinary students aren't able to fulfill these faux aspirations and go to university, to study some pointless subject that ends them up working in a call centre.
If you canvassed these lemmings on the march I doubt much more than 10% would have a clue what it is they are protesting about.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
In 1975 England had an industry that didn't require Uni attendance. We don't have that anymore.

And there is one statement is the reason that Great Britain is no longer Great. The nouveau students turned their noses up at manufacturing and went into jobs like IT.

In 1975 England had an industry that didn't require Uni attendance. We don't have that anymore. Like it or not modern and technical industry is the new factory/mine work, and if a degree from Uni is the only way of getting the skills for todays work force then thats how it is going to have to be.

I would agree with that if all these extra students were coming away with technical degrees in subjects such as engineering, but that is not the case is it.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
'Animalistic and dirty' would NOT have been better. You're digging a deeper hole for yourself and your cliched views of people with money does you no favours either.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
So is the objection to higher tuition fees an objection on psychological grounds rather than the principle of paying more to the cost of your university education?

Personally, I think the cuts to sports in schools is scandalous. However, I'm less won over by the case being put objecting to university tuition fees.

I typed out a long list of reasons why we're protesting against cuts to education and also the fee rises, and it didn't f***ing send! :angry:

In short: the amount we're being asked to pay because governments before we knew what a pot noodle was is unfair, why should we have to pay 300% of what we already pay just because of some f*** ups that had nothing to do with us in every way (we didn't vote in New Labour nor the previous tory government nor did we keep them in power).

There is also the fact you get very little value for money. Although there are some class facilities and some top academics in the system we have, 15 hours of lectures and 1 hour of one to one help for even (as you said) 6k a year is a joke.

Furthermore there is the fact that a large number of courses can not afford to run because of cuts by the government meaning those who's tallents lay in humanitarian subjects or the arts (which are all equally important to society) are going to be left without much choice of where to go if anywhere.

EMA being cut is infair. The EMA system its self is infair as it acts as an incentive to those less well off and assumes those who have money behind them are going to automatically go to college. Many of the most dissalusioned people at my college are those who don't get EMA. I'd advocate a £15 a week fee to all college attendees but that isn't something that the student movement is pushing just my personal opnion.

The cuts to sixth forms (not colleges) to bring sixth forms inline with what have been descriped as "appauling"[paraphrased, i can't remember the exact word but it was to the effect of] collge budgets are harsh. I realize there is a large gap between FE Colleges and School Sixth Forms funding but cutting Sixth Forms funding is not the way to do things. A gradual rise in funding to college needs to be put in place, with a slight cut to sixth form funding if any (realistic head on there, I don't think that any cuts to colleges should take place but if its going to happen lets limit the damage).

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
'Animalistic and dirty' would NOT have been better. You're digging a deeper hole for yourself and your cliched views of people with money does you no favours either.

I can't get the right words down! :facepalm:

Note: (for your difficulty in reading) THESE. ARE. NOT. MY. PERSONAL. VIEWS

These are opinions i've heard, and debated AGAINST because of the very things you've said in the previous post.

I think that you just enjoy picking a fight with me.

Just to clarify I AGREE WITH YOU. AS IN, WE HAVE THE SAME OPINION ON THE USELESSNESS OF CLASS SYSTEMS BECAUSE OF THE SOCIAL AND PSYCHOLOGICAL FACTORS.

Got it?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Hey KneeOn, just out of interest, what do you want to get out of university? What do you think it will make available for you?

(When I went to uni in Southampton, I studied politics and economic history. I came into uni wanting to become a journalist, and came out of it wanting to become a graphic and web designer. So, although I had a great time most of the time, I'm not sure how much use three years of studying British social history and international politics was, career-wise. I know lots of people who are now doing very different things from what their course pointed to.)

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
[/B]

I would agree with that if all these extra students were coming away with technical degrees in subjects such as engineering, but that is not the case is it.

Technical or vocational subject uptake at Uni's HAS increaced though (AFAIK).

There is now only really one way to get skills in areas ranging from Media to Travel to IT to Engineering and that is via Uni.

As industry decreaces, uptake of all subjects will increace but (afaik) the uptake of technical or modern vocational courses has increaced the most.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
And there is one statement is the reason that Great Britain is no longer Great. The nouveau students turned their noses up at manufacturing and went into jobs like IT.

Or, we've moved on with the times and have a new industry that with a bit of training can mean GB is on the forefront of new technology that will do everything from save lives, to make the world more connected socially, develop more platforms and use technology in ways that its not even been dreamed up of yet by those currently in the industry.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Hey KneeOn, just out of interest, what do you want to get out of university? What do you think it will make available for you?

(When I went to uni in Southampton, I studied politics and economic history. I came into uni wanting to become a journalist, and came out of it wanting to become a graphic and web designer. So, although I had a great time most of the time, I'm not sure how much use three years of studying British social history and international politics was, career-wise. I know lots of people who are now doing very different things from what their course pointed to.)

I would like to go to Bournemouth Uni to study computing (they run a system software frame work with specialization in the second and fourth year with the third being a sandwhich year everone takes).

I'm looking at either software development, maybe game design although everyone wants to do that and I don't know how much i'd enjoy it really or digital forensics.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
In 1975 England had an industry that didn't require Uni attendance. We don't have that anymore. Like it or not modern and technical industry is the new factory/mine work, and if a degree from Uni is the only way of getting the skills for todays work force then thats how it is going to have to be.

But are there not thousand of graduates who cannot find 'degree' standard work as there are so many people with degrees?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Or, we've moved on with the times and have a new industry that with a bit of training can mean GB is on the forefront of new technology that will do everything from save lives, to make the world more connected socially, develop more platforms and use technology in ways that its not even been dreamed up of yet by those currently in the industry.

So, what glossy brochure did you read that in.
If students really believe that crap then this country is in a worse state than I thought.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I forgot in my history lessen where it said everyone worked down the mines or in a factory in 1975.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
So you mock my intentions because i'm not 42 years old?

That right there is why we are protesting. Ignorance of the older generations.

Do f*** off-who the hell do you think funds your 'education' until you get yourself a job when you finally start paying back your loans? It certainly isn't you. Let me ask you one question: Are you happy to have 'blue collar' families fund your education while you swan through Uni until you graduate and then look down your nose at 'working class' people once you start earning more than them? If you want further education, pay for it yourselves because I'm not happy funding you-especially when I encounter little twats with 'attitude' like you.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
But are there not thousand of graduates who cannot find 'degree' standard work as there are so many people with degrees?

Yes, but there is a difference between not being able to find work and having too high expectations when you graduate in the first place. Many graduates won't look at work that could be done with an A-level qualification because its "below" them.

There are also those who get a degree in something with no direct skills to the job they get, so they wait about for a degree relevent job which won't happen since they've taken Fine Art. Its not the course or the fact its offered in the first place thats the issue its an issue with the expectations that students and graduates place on them selves. Part of our throw away culture I guess, "if its not what I want, i'll throw away the chance"... of course not everyone is like that and it is a minority but its only the minoirty that get reported because its more interesting to hear about.

Nov 27, 2009
Sorry but we can't help with your ignorance of the older generations! Frank of you to admit such a fault though, bravo you. Have you ever met an older person and listened whilst they impart their knowledge and wisdom, gathered during the folly of their youth? Oh no sorry I forget, you are a student and you don't listen or accept other peoples opinions do you. Enjoy your protest, shout loud and hard but please don't break or burn anything belonging to someone else eh? Unless of course it belongs to an evil capitalist corporation in which case its fair game right?

Unfortunetly a little bit of violence did a little bit of good . How the hell do you expect to get any support with that attitude?

Us "Older" students of the eighties had our own problems, grants went, so WE had to pay our way, the cost of housing around Brighton and Hove if you could find it.

Oh and you ask any student of that day how the fantastic facilities you have today, for example up at Falmer, on the University of Brighton site, compare to the shit we had to put up with, and you'll see why more might have to be paid to go to uni now. FFS, is there anyone who lived in the halls at Falmer or Coldean Lane back in those days?

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Yes, but there is a difference between not being able to find work and having too high expectations when you graduate in the first place. Many graduates won't look at work that could be done with an A-level qualification because its "below" them.

Whats the point in them getting a bloody degree then?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
So, what glossy brochure did you read that in.
If students really believe that crap then this country is in a worse state than I thought.

I do believe it actually. Because I didn't read it in a brocure but I follow technology closely.

Minecraft was made by one person. Its made him a very rich man.
Facebook was made by four people. They've had a flim made about them.
Myspace, bebo, youtube, wikipedia, wikiLeaks are all examples of where education has helped people achieve and create things that we now (although not bebo and myspace) use constantly and would struggle to get by with.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I forgot in my history lessen where it said everyone worked down the mines or in a factory in 1975.

No one said that everyone works in a factory or in a mine but it was far easier to get in to compared to now with traditional industry making way for modern industries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here