Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fanzine Next Issue

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Monthly is going to take an awful lot of work and new material.

Maybe 3 monthly or twice a season may be better imho

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I am doing a two day a week NCTJ so will have at least another two days I can give to the fanzine. Perhaps every two months and make it a decent size.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The printing costs would but I am hoping to get some people to put adverts in it, so hopefully that would balance it out a bit. keep the price one quid of one fifty.

Inkerman

Sep 3, 2003
Berkshire
2 bits of (hopefully not gratuious) advice

1. don't underestimate the amount of work involved in bringing out an edition of a Fanzine in terms of getting sufficient material to fill it

2. don't underestimate the number of matches that you need to be selling each issue at in order to sell enough copies to cover costs.

both of these pieces of advice say - don't commit to monthly.

I was involved on the periphery of Keep The Faith and these two pieces of advice would rank as the two most important things that I learnt.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
An interview with the councilors from Westdean ward. One is fully behind Falmer, and belives that we need to move there asap.

This is in the free City News paper, and he (sorry but his name escapes me) states we need to move for our future. And also to return Withdean as an athletics track, therefore benefitting local athletics.

Albion Rob

I think if you are going to have regular issues then you need regular features that people can identify with and therefore will buy the fanzine to look at.

When I lived in Stoke I used to go to games and used to really enjoy their Oatcake fanzine. It came out for every home game (a bit different to what you are looking at) but stuck to generally the same format each issue.

From the top of my head, the opening pages always discussed what was going on at the club at the time. They also had a very good away match section - if you're bringing it out bi-minthly then you could fill about two or three pages just with that and it will interest people as they were either there or would like to have been.

I also think match reports have a lot to be said for them, or at the very leat rating the players and keeping a running total so that maybe you boys could worm your way onto the pitch at the end of the season for some sort of presentation!

Aside from that I think it is just a case of keeping a clear head of what you are looking for. Say if it was 24 pages then a bit of Falmer, a player interview, some comment on aspects within the club, Krispies cartoons, awayday analysis accompanied by a wider view of what's going on in our division, combined with previews of who we will face before the next edition comes out and I belive you will be on to a winner.

Or I could be wrong.

What?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I would go for something like two monthly production - there is not enough material to do it monthly / per match day.

Also it is a huge commitment, those that start it may not be able to contribute regularly.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Albion Rob said:
I think if you are going to have regular issues then you need regular features that people can identify with and therefore will buy the fanzine to look at.

When I lived in Stoke I used to go to games and used to really enjoy their Oatcake fanzine. It came out for every home game (a bit different to what you are looking at) but stuck to generally the same format each issue.

From the top of my head, the opening pages always discussed what was going on at the club at the time. They also had a very good away match section - if you're bringing it out bi-minthly then you could fill about two or three pages just with that and it will interest people as they were either there or would like to have been.

I also think match reports have a lot to be said for them, or at the very leat rating the players and keeping a running total so that maybe you boys could worm your way onto the pitch at the end of the season for some sort of presentation!

Aside from that I think it is just a case of keeping a clear head of what you are looking for. Say if it was 24 pages then a bit of Falmer, a player interview, some comment on aspects within the club, Krispies cartoons, awayday analysis accompanied by a wider view of what's going on in our division, combined with previews of who we will face before the next edition comes out and I belive you will be on to a winner.

Or I could be wrong.

What?

Nice ideas. I suggest player ratings after each match, but keeping a running total is much better. As you said if its bi monthly we can look back at who were played (match reports) and look forward to who were playing next. This is brilliant. Cheers rob :clap2:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Of all our previous fanzines I think Scars and Stripes got it about right.But the internet has made people want news and views instantaneously . Perhaps the fanzine has had it's day.
But good luck anyway,I'll buy one.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I don't want to pour any cold water on this idea because 'One F in Falmer' did so well but if it were possible to bring out a monthly fanzine then the editorial team of Keep The Faith/Brighton Rockz would still be doing it!

Don't underestimate the need for material, dosh and the time to get the mag produced. It's easy to say "I'll have plenty of time" until the time comes and you've only got 15 pages-worth of copy! You can always invent material but there's nothing so obvious as a mag that is mainly hastily put together "fillers" and even at the modest price of £1, there's only so much of this sort of indulgence that the punters are prepared to pay for. Talking of paying for things, you need to underwrite the production costs by several hundred pounds. Have you got that money guaranteed or sitting in a bank account?

The reason WHY paper fanzines are much harder to produce is almost entirely down to the immediacy of information that people now get from the internet. In the classic days of "Gulls Eye", for example, it was often the ONLY source of what was going on and people would wait until "Gulls Eye" came out to get their info on the various dirty dealings of Bellotti & Co.

That's simply not the case today so the material in a fanzine has to be of an extra high quality in order to make it worth waiting for. Which means WRITING it the "hard" way. Interviews need to be properly arranged and then transcribed accurately - take a mini disc! Plus other contributors have to be nurtured rather than taken for granted. You have to make editorial decisions about quality - do you run EVERYTHING you get sent because you need to fill the mag or do you operate some sort of rejection criteria? You CAN paraphrase material on NSC but it's a lazy (and often desperate) way of filling a fanzine unless done properly. So if you are going to post polls asking for opinions you've got to make it very clear where the information will end up. Since you need to sell at least 750 copies to cover costs you need more people than NSC users to buy it so you've got to hit a happy medium in terms of copy!

I mention all this, not to put you off the idea but to identify just where all that "spare time" goes and why producing a fanzine isn't the breeze in practice that it can sometimes seem in theory. It's always better to leave punters wanting more than it is to produce something so regularly that the quality slips and, believe me, there's nothing as depressing as discovering this unfortunate truth!!!!!

Last edited:

Albion Rob

I'm inclined to agree with Roz to a large extent, the internet has made it possible for people to know everything they want about the Albion pretty much instantly.

However, I do think a fanzine can find a niche as long as it is done in such a way as to make people want to read it not do much as an information source but more of a review and preview guide.

Harking back to the Oatcake again, it was full of reviws (away days being just one, any new Stoke City product being another) and alos packed full of personal comment which people could identify with.

Roz is also spot on about th quality. I have picked up fanzines from across the country and you can spot the self indulgent and rushed ones straight away. I would say got for quality. People will happily part with a quid for a well produced, interesting 24 page fanzine rather than a 32-pager that doesn't hold their attention.

In essence, what I believe you are looking for is something that people can read at the ground before the game and during half time. This means keeping the articles fairly short and punchy rather than going on for three pages at a time. Bear in mind there are loads of distractions at the ground when they will be reading it, so most of the pieces would need to be readable in a couple of minutes with a few bigger articles to read when they get home.

The internet has made fanzines harder, but not redundant. If you can get the right mix of interesting, well written and concise featires you should fare quite well. Although bear in mind that a maximum audience of 6,300 is available and remember it will double when we get Falmer! :clap2: :clap2:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Re: Re: Re: Fanzine Next Issue

Yorkie said:
Agree with that although I had difficulty with shouting it out loud.

I'd have to find my helper again or stand near Easy 10 :lolol:
"ONE EFFIN FALMER !"
I'm shameless, me. But then you knew that anyway ;)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Right deep breath...I've taken in the points raised here and am going to answer them the best I can.

What is being said is nothing new. This is common knowlege. The fanzine was never going to be a source of information but a review/preview with articles of interest. We cannot do a gulls eye now - like you say news travels faster on the net. This is why we never set out to do that.

I believe we shouldn't tie ourselves down to a 'one of' or a 'bi monthly' we must simply make them, when their good enough to be sold. If this means 2 in the space of a month then maybe hold it back...but my no means produce shyte just to hit a schedule.

It can and it will work. People know what to expect from todays fanzine. It can be made good if we get enough contributers and it is filled for quality. One of the things that did get me about the last issue was the amount of pages one article took. Two or three of these would work, but like rob says, you want to stick to smaller articles that get to the point.

Fanzines are not redundant. They can still work. They simply cannot aim for the same audience as the predicessors like gulls eye etc. A niche market can be found. The zine wouldn't boast to be 'the latest news' it would simple be a resource. Of course there are people who dont use the net. They would still find the fanzine educational, but to make sure it dont bore to death the majority who do read the net - we have to intermix the 'latest' news with opinons, sometimes contrasting.

As roz rightly says, if we can produce quality every so often people will pay £1/£1.50 for it. If we produce...say...one good fanzine in five then people wont know what to expect and are less likly to part with the cash.

IF/WHEN we get to falmer and its still going we can easily print and sell 750 (maybe more) and sell them. It can work.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I am with Biscuit.
The points everyone makes are valid and I certainly would not put out an edition if it was filled with crap but most clubs up and down the country have a fanzine. It is something to read on away trips or at half time.

Albion Rob

You sound like you've got the right amount of enthusiasm Biscuit, which is definitely a big part of the battle. sorry to keep posting stuff on hr like some King of the Fanzines or something but another idea is to get all the old copies of Gulls Eye you can and get other prominent fanzines - I keep going on about the Oatcake but is consistently wins awards. I think QPR also have a good one. Look for a bit of feedback, maybe the Football Supporters Federation would be able to give you contact details for some of the better fanzines across the country.

As things evelve whatever preceeded it must find its niche. TV was supposed to spell the end for radio and the internet was supposed to kill off newspapers.

If you can make your fanzine into exactly what people want to read at 2.30pm on a Saturday then you have got it cracked. I don't know exactly what 'it' is but if you look around and take your time you will definitely find it.

Good luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here