Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fanzine Help Thread

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Thank you Easy 10.

I know I have faults but am trying to get things moving and get people involved in the areas I know I am not good at.

I do not see the problem there.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Easy 10 said:
While I've written a couple of articles for the last fanzine (and one for the upcoming one), I've not been involved in the production side of things at all, so maybe I'm speaking out of turn here. But it does seem to me that at times people are queing up to have a pop at Richie over the fanzine. Like I say, I've not worked closely with Richie on it so maybe I'm not qualified to say, and I'm sure he's not perfect, but he shows a lot of enthusiasm to get the ball rolling on these things, and with some of the open criticism he gets, I wouldn't have blamed him if he'd turned round and said "bollocks to it then".

Constructive criticism is fine, but rather than having the open "lets have a go at Richie" threads, would it not be better for it to be confined to the Fanzine Forum, or PM's.

They were constructive questions I was asking, but with a sense of appreciation that Richie has (again) bitten off more than he can chew. He also did not acknowledge Roz's (and others') time and effort in putting together the previous edition - which for me is pretty shameful. Roz is a professional who has who has plenty of experience in this field.

I may be blase about this because this is what I do for a living (graphic design, layout, production, copy-editing etc.), but Richie's efforts still leave me a little concerned. Can he clarify what help he wants? And those questions I asked in my previous post on this thread are still valid. Richie has not really answered them.

Before the question pops up 'why can't you help, oh fat one?', I DID offer my services for the first issue on two separate occasions, but they were ignored - plus subsequent conversations with others have left me with a sense of foreboding if I did help out. Does this sound like I am sulking? Maybe.

Having said that, I am more than happy to help with design and production if asked, and am happy to support it when it does come out - whoever worked on it.

Last edited:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The Large One.

I posted this before but assume you did not read it:

"I think everyone is misunderstanding me. I a TRYING to get a team working on it. Hence getting someone to help with the lay out because I know it is not a strong point of mine and getting Del Boy to help with the production side of things.

That is me trying to get people involved.

I realise others did more then me for the last one and that Ros had to change a lot, but I dd try and I did put a lot of time and effort in. I am very greatful for the help of Ros and of Turkey's etc, it just annoys me when everyone seem to have a pop at me for any reason.

I am trying as hard as I can to get it sorted and have tried delegating some things out in order to get the 'team' involved like has been suggested not because I cannot be bothered to do things myself. Laying up is not a strong point of mine and I cannot ring round the printers etc because of the hours Im working so have asked others to help with this. This does not automatically mean I am crap at everything like some suggest.

Whether people like me or not I just get a touch annoyed because regardless of what anyone thinks I am trying and do not think that merits the piss taking and criticism (not the constuctive criticism that Ros gives, that is helpful) but the the piss taking and 'your crap' style things."

I am not sure what you are on about large one. 'once again Richie has bitten off more then he can chew'. What do you mean by that? I have asked Del Boy to help with something which he has done; I have got someone to help with the lay out and I am waiting for articles to come in. What exactly have I done wrong there and what other examples do you know of when I 'bit off more then I could chew'?

I am incredibly greatful of Ros's etc help so do not make me out to be an ungreatful bastard. I pm'd Ros lots when I decided to try a second edition and mentioned more then a few times how greatful I was for any time she could offer or any advice she had for me. Just because I have not posted that on here does not make me ungreatful.

Perhaps it is because I snapped back earlier in the thread and said 'well the last one got out'. Perhaps I should have mentioned the others who helped but this does not mean I did not appreciate their help, far from it. What it was, was a snap back at the constant stream of criticism that seems to come my way.

If I do things myself then I am a twat because I am not getting people involved. If I get people involved I am a twat because all I am doing is palming work onto other people. What should I do then? I would like to know.

I have never claimed to be an expert at anything. I am trying though so please just give me a break.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Do you want help from everyone or just from the chosen few, your original post made it sound like only the elite clique need apply.???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here