The duck says, "I'd like a box of condoms please."

The chemist says, "Well, sure! Would you like me to put
that on your bill?"

The duck says, "I'm not that kind of duck!"

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
D'Angelo Saxon said:
I've got Quark for the Mac. No blank CD's though....

Somehow I thought the mac owners here were restricted to some of the ladies (roz, lush, etc) and me. Obviously not.

Then again, I don't think a 5400 counts for much these days. System 8, booya!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Quark problem solved. My friend who came with me last night has a copy. He s also a good degree in graphic design and is going to help.

Get cracking on the articles and I will begin laying it up this weekend.

Its all coming together now.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Any atricles on the way? Im starting laying up on sunday and will be done by end of the week. Anything not with us by middle of next week wont go in.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Richie, your friend is a graphic designer, but... you're not? Also, do you have copy editing skills? Have you commissioned people to write articles, or are you going to cobble together whatever comes your way? What is the editorial slant in this issue? What is the fanzine about? Do you have permission from the copyright holders to use their pictures? How many pages is it going to be? Do you have a flatplan? Do you have typographical skills? Or layout skills? Or print buying knowledge?

You can't hope to do this by 'getting help'. You must have an organised sense of what you intend to achieve BEFORE it goes into production. Then those that are 'helping' need to be told what to write and how much to write. It's one thing being a trainee hack, it's another thing completely putting a publication together.

But it's nice to see you have the art of delegation sussed.

Last edited:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
How about stop with the f***ing slating me. The last one got done did it not? Yes.

I was Editor of my uni mag which involved a lot more then this fanzine and had a readership of over 10,000 so I would say I have some organisational skills and editing skills.

I have a plan of what is going in the fanzine and I have appealed many times on here for people to pm / email articles in.

Im getting fed up with all this negativity to be honest. I layed out the last edition and whilst it was ok, I thought it would benefit the appearance to get my friend who is a graphic designer to HELP me. Does this not make sense?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think you will find it is constructive criticisism Richie in the hope that you don't find yourself wanting at a later date.

Richie Morris said:
How about stop with the f***ing slating me. The last one got done did it not? Yes.

I was Editor of my uni mag which involved a lot more then this fanzine and had a readership of over 10,000 so I would say I have some organisational skills and editing skills.

I have a plan of what is going in the fanzine and I have appealed many times on here for people to pm / email articles in.

Im getting fed up with all this negativity to be honest. I layed out the last edition and whilst it was ok, I thought it would benefit the appearance to get my friend who is a graphic designer to HELP me. Does this not make sense?
"I layed out the last edition" ?!

But not in a fit state to go to a printer.

None of what came down here was usable. Just for starters ... It was riddled with spelling mistakes. And the pages were in the wrong order!

The WHOLE thing had to be redone by Roz.

Jeez, Richie.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Erm, let's not forget that the reason why "the last one got done" was down to the huge contributions by lots of other people too.

Turkey worked all hours for very many days on the production side, a number of people quietly underwrote the cost of it and very many more turned out on the day to sell it.

Without those people nothing would have got done. Which is precisely why I think that fanzines should be produced by TEAMS. Not an EDITOR.

And with respect, Richie, not by an Editor who gives the impression of being totally reliant on the efforts of everyone else.

Last edited:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Richie, between the hours of 9 and 5 you do nothing but email me saying you are bored! Why don't you work on it at work?

If I am as bored tomorrow I may write something for you.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I do work on it at work.

I think everyone is misunderstanding me. I a TRYING to get a team working on it. Hence getting someone to help with the lay out because I know it is not a strong point of mine and getting Del Boy to help with the production side of things.

That is me trying to get people involved.

Roz I realise others did morethen me for the last one and that you had to change a lot, but I dd try and I did put a lot of time and effort in. I am very greatful for your help and of Turkey's etc, it just annoys me when everyone (not you) seems to have a pop at me for any reason.

I am trying as hard as I can to get it sorted and have tried delegating some things out in order to get the 'team' involved like you suggested not because I cannot be bothered to do things myself. Laying up is not a strong point of mine and I cannot ring round the printers etc because of the hours Im working so have asked others to help with this. This does not automatically mean I am crap at everything like some suggest.

Whether people like me or not I just get a touch annoyed because regardless of what anyone thinks I am trying and do not think that merits the piss taking and criticism (not the constuctive criticism that Ros gives, that is helpful) but the the piss taking and 'your crap' style things.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lord Bracknell said:
"I layed out the last edition" ?!

But not in a fit state to go to a printer.

None of what came down here was usable. Just for starters ... It was riddled with spelling mistakes. And the pages were in the wrong order!

The WHOLE thing had to be redone by Roz.

Jeez, Richie.

Now that's solved a mystery.

I couldn't reconcile the spelling in the Falmer fanzine with the spelling of the Richie who posts here - now all is clear. Thanks Lord B.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
While I've written a couple of articles for the last fanzine (and one for the upcoming one), I've not been involved in the production side of things at all, so maybe I'm speaking out of turn here. But it does seem to me that at times people are queing up to have a pop at Richie over the fanzine. Like I say, I've not worked closely with Richie on it so maybe I'm not qualified to say, and I'm sure he's not perfect, but he shows a lot of enthusiasm to get the ball rolling on these things, and with some of the open criticism he gets, I wouldn't have blamed him if he'd turned round and said "bollocks to it then".

Constructive criticism is fine, but rather than having the open "lets have a go at Richie" threads, would it not be better for it to be confined to the Fanzine Forum, or PM's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here