Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fanzine Help Thread

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The fanzine is going slowly at the moment due mainly to the fact I have had hardly any time over the last two weeks but I am now able to get on with it and it is starting properly now. If anyone has any ideas then email them pm them to me.

I know that some people think the fanzine forum is making it a bit cliquey but we really do want everyones help when it comes to writing it. The forum just means that we can copy over any posts etc that are going in and they are easy to find.

Does anyone own, or know where we can get a cheap copy of quark in order to lay the fanzine out? I should be getting a copy sent down from uni in the next couple of days but this is the major stumbling block. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Other then this, just any ideas or comments post on here over the next few days and we can get the ball rolling properly.

Also if anyone knows of any cheap printers or businesses who would want to advertise in the fanzine then please let us know.

What would be great would be if someone was willing to take on the advertising side as a little project and try and approach albion friendly businesses with a view to advertising in the fanzine.

cheers

Richie

Can this be a sticky for a couple of days?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Superb. There should be a list of 'albion friendly' businesses in the match day programme or maybe on the official website.

All we really need is someone to email then and ask whether they would be interested in advertising in the fanzine.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I was thinking of offering halg pages, so half an a5 sheet to a few advertisers. if we use up say three or four pages this way it will not matter too much but lighten the financial burden.

Was thinking of 500 copies but I guess we would have to find out how much printing was first...thats the real starting point.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Is Quark a programme? I would try www.tucows.com They may have a "free" copy.

Best story of the season so far. Molango swopping his shirt. then our kit man having to ask for it back. There must be some milage there. :lolol:

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Richie, the only way you are going to get this fanzine out is for YOU to find time to do the things that need doing. If you haven't got the time - and you won't be the first person to have other commitments - then you have to be realistic about the chance of producing the mag.

What you can't, realistically, do is EDIT a fanzine and then pass the bulk of the work to "someone else". Help is available - and has been for several weeks - but you've actually got to pull your own finger out on this one. Or recognise that you have to have an editorial collective. Which is not the same as a group of people offering help.

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
Richie Morris said:

Does anyone own, or know where we can get a cheap copy of quark in order to lay the fanzine out? I should be getting a copy sent down from uni in the next couple of days but this is the major stumbling block. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I found 3 full versions of Quark Xpress V5.0 (with serial) on KazaaLite.

Size 54MB.

Free but slightly illegal to download.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
MYOB said:
Ugh. Quark

Then again, Adobes competiton (InDesign) isn't up to much either.

Yeah, but it's much cheaper.

Richie, you could always produce a load of galleys and lay out with a depth scale. That's how some of us learned how to lay out pages.....ah, the good old days. :)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Eh oop, when I were a lad we used to type up the pages on one o'they typewriter things, glue photos at the top of the articles and Xerox 1000 copies of the booger. Cost about three and eightpence ha'penny. You could always bring out a RETRO-style fanzine. Call it 'Spiffing Blue' or summat.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I have been saying pretty much the same thing to Del Boy which is why he has volunteered to help out wth that side of things.

The last month has been a one off.

I have nothing on apart from work now and have my office at home back.

I also start a two day journalism course starting in sept which will be all that Im doing.

Im happy to do the lay out side of things and gathering articles etc, just could do with some help on the other bits..which Del Boy has kindly volunteered to do.

Retro fanzine..that could be quite cool...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Tom Hark said:
Eh oop, when I were a lad we used to type up the pages on one o'they typewriter things, glue photos at the top of the articles and Xerox 1000 copies of the booger. Cost about three and eightpence ha'penny. You could always bring out a RETRO-style fanzine. Call it 'Spiffing Blue' or summat.

Aye..and t'editor used to thrash staff to get them working harder....and that's after getting oop at 5.00 to do shift at t'mill.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The Large One said:
Richie, have listened to a single word Roz has said...? Did you read her post...?

Sake.
Yes I have, which was why i was explaining that Del Boy was taking over some of the work and that I am not planning to try and do everything. I want as many people as can to get involved because I can gather articles etc but dont have the time at the moment to ring round and sort printers as well.

Del Boys is doing that. I am waiting for my friend to send me his quakr and then I will get on with the bit I can do...ie laying it up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here