Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fans with unrealistic expectations = JCLs?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I hate to use the term, BUT I am absolutely incredulous about some of the posts that have been appearing on NSC since the Palace game - so can only think all these posters must be 'JCLs', new Albion fans who just fancied supporting their local team so they could watch football at our swanky new home.

We are fifth in the Championship, after having just been promoted, and are having our best season for 20 years. Yet apparently, Gus 'doesn't get it', the background staff are unhappy, half our squad are 'not up to this level' and certain players have been giving 'pathetic' performances...

Surely no-one who attended matches at the Goldstone and Gillingham - or indeed Withdean - would post such utter NONSENSE.

We have a great squad, one of the best managers in the country and play exciting, attacking football. We have just signed possibly the best quality player ever to wear an Albion shirt, have made a great start to the season, and even outplayed Liverpool for 45 minutes.

I assume none of these moaners saw us lose 4-0 at home to Darlington at Priestfield?

UNBELIEVABLE.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
I hate to use the term, BUT I am absolutely incredulous about some of the posts that have been appearing on NSC since the Palace game - so can only think all these posters must be 'JCLs', new Albion fans who just fancied supporting their local team so they could watch football at our swanky new home.

We are fifth in the Championship, after having just been promoted, and are having our best season for 20 years. Yet apparently, Gus 'doesn't get it', the background staff are unhappy, half our squad are 'not up to this level' and certain players have been giving 'pathetic' performances...

Surely no-one who attended matches at the Goldstone and Gillingham - or indeed Withdean - would post such utter NONSENSE.

We have a great squad, one of the best managers in the country and play exciting, attacking football. We have just signed possibly the best quality player ever to wear an Albion shirt, have made a great start to the season, and even outplayed Liverpool for 45 minutes.

I assume none of these moaners saw us lose 4-0 at home to Darlington at Priestfield?

UNBELIEVABLE.

I would think they didn't - point well made.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
The proof will be in the pudding next year when it comes to season ticket renewal time. If we have a perfectly acceptable season and say finish 12th - 18th ( not bad considering where we have come from). I will put money on the season tickets not selling out and our average gate to level off at around 17 - 18k.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The proof will be in the pudding next year when it comes to season ticket renewal time. If we have a perfectly acceptable season and say finish 12th - 18th ( not bad considering where we have come from). I will put money on the season tickets not selling out and our average gate to level off at around 17 - 18k.
You're probably right - and I'm glad I'm not the only one who'd be perfectly happy with a mid-table finish.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I think come May we'll all have been very happy for the start we made - those points could be the difference. Just because of what Norwich achieved last season - but the set up has been in place at Norwich for a lot longer so they were better placed.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
and are having our best season for 20 years.

What makes it that? Other people with the same "stop moaning at our poor performances" attitude seem to point to it being early in the season. How can having started strongly and then trailed off (after ten games) be "our best season for 20 years"? On what basis is this the best "season"? Bit early to be making such statements isn't it. What if we only win 10 more points this season and are relegated by march, would it still be the best season in 20 years?

Yet ... half our squad are 'not up to this level' and certain players have been giving 'pathetic' performances...

Gus didn't attend matches at the Goldstone or Gillingham, when he says the players are not up to this level is he talking nonsense? When he calls the team a league one team, is he a JCL?

Again, what makes Gus one of the best managers in the country? He did well at league one leading a team that was mostly made up of the same players to struggle the season or two before into a team that walked the league, but how does that make him one of the best? I'm not saying he has been found out, but after five games our leage form has taken a bit of a dip, and he hasn't managed to sort it out yet. Shouldn't he show some more quality at this level and higher before we group him with the likes of Ferguson? Or when you say 'one of the best' do you mean 'one of the best 30 managers'? (I'm not saying he's bad, or has lost it or doesn't get it, or the wheels have come off, simply saying such comment is hyperbole).

UNBELIEVABLE.

Does having a bad game at the priestfield mean we can't have a bad game this season? That not having been to the goldstone means people can't complain about what are poor performances and results this season?

I've never had my leg ripped off by a combine harvester, does that mean I'm not allowed to express pain when I've got cramp?

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
Have to agree with the OP, absolutely unbelievable. I might be new to this forum but I've been watching BHA home and away, on and off for over 20 years, and whatever happens this season I will be renewing my ST next season. Some of the comments have been ridiculous, to question Gus after what he has achieved is insane. Did people think we would go unbeaten for the next 5 years!?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

UNBELIEVABLE.

Just one poster has posted your quote but the point about some of the squad not being good enough is from Poyet himself.
Brighton and Hove Albion | News | Latest News | Latest News | Poyet: Not Good Enough
As has been pointed out previously, there are fickle fans of long standing who also like to spout their opinions. Most of us are thrilled with what Poyet has achieved so far, but no one can deny that there are problems at the moment which he will have to sort out. I said we would probably finish in the top ten but also think that two or three of our players need sorting out. Whether that is by getting loan players in, or kicking them up the backside, I shall leave to the manager to decide. I am by no means a jcl having supported the Albion for over 40 years.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
there is some sanctemonious clap trap written on here.

its a bloody message board with people with differing opinions...get over it!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Bit early to be making such statements isn't it. What if we only win 10 more points this season and are relegated by march, would it still be the best season in 20 years?
It will be if we finish higher than 20th, so i think it's reasonable to make that statement...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the team or management are beyond criticism, but some of the stuff that's been posted on here lately is way OTT. Gus is right - some of our fans badly need a reality check.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Im a jcl but never expected promotion or even playoffs. But i have seen posts by users that have been here years talking about going up its not just jcl but there a good cop out

seagulls

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Is newly promoted Adkins with a similar fan base (income) aiming for 12th to 18th, or aiming higher? Higher I think, and Gus will be too.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

UNBELIEVABLE.

No I didn't but I went to every Goldstone game in last 3 years ... don't mean I have any more right to an opinion than the guy that saw his first match last week. Fact is our current form is crap and we've got to do something about it ,... all this "we're 5th" and "best season for 20 years" is romantic crap ... do you really believe that Gus isn't tearing what little hair he has out over it?

There'll defo be some changes in personnel and tactics I think so let the "moaners" as you call them voice their opinion, nout wrong with that remotely

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
This could go down like a lead balloon but screw it.

Would we have 21k every week without the jcl as you call them.

seagulls

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here