Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fans meeting at the Amex: making the atmosphere good

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIS. I want to be able to speak to the person next to me, to hear the fans singing (even if it is the away fans), and enjoy the 'buzz'... not some crappy pop music. :angry:

You could have a small bit of this though-could work

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Ow well. Over the past 12 months it must have been raised (pun intended) a dozen times but no clarity from anyone at club nor uber fans means I'm cancelling the several hundred pounds of giant flags commissioned to make Amexfield. Shame really thought it would look good. But just not prepared to risk not being allowed in. Sure a little plastic one on each seat will look terrific.

Er, don't do that! They said they wanted as many flags as possible, provided that they don't cover any of the advertising.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
The idea behind the music is to create a sense of drama before the players come out and create consistancy so that everyone knows the game is about to start. You can look at this two ways, obviously the crowd need to get fully involved but the music (if chosen wisely) can instigate this.

Sussex by The Sea will be staying but probably sandwiched between two seperate tunes, nothing is finalised yet and is subject to change and adjustment. I personally suggested something cinematic/operatic i.e Duel Of The Fates from Star Wars or something similar.... to herald the teams. (I think Spurs were mentioned to have used this piece of music and its works very well)

Just to add to that there will be NO music played after we have scored. Gus Poyet hates it with a passion :thumbsup:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The idea behind the music is to create a sense of drama before the players come out and create consistancy so that everyone knows the game is about to start. You can look at this two ways, obviously the crowd need to get fully involved but the music (if chosen wisely) can instigate this.

Sounds like crap to me. I loathe that sort of artificial attempt to create 'atmosphere'.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
no goal music!!!!punk: good meeting TB is the real deal, a true fan! sort of new it but tonight confirmed it!:moo:

That's the one thing that had me worried, I could just about live with the Amex livery staring back at me from every surface inside the stadium, but "Another one bites the dust" etc after every goal would make me puke

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Sussex by The Sea will be staying but probably sandwiched between two seperate tunes, nothing is finalised yet and is subject to change and adjustment. I personally suggested something cinematic/operatic i.e Duel Of The Fates from Star Wars or something similar.... to herald the teams. (I think Spurs were mentioned to have used this piece of music and its works very well)

If it's not GOSBTS when the teams come out, that's a disgrace. There are plenty of other tunes that clubs 'use and it works very well'... which is EXACTLY why we should be using our own bit of music that has worked very well for decades, thanks. GOSBTS is synonymous with Albion walking out of the tunnel as far as I'm concerned and I'm sure anyone who used to go to the Goldstone in the club's best days would agree.

Personally, play anything else and I will boo it as the teams come out.. hopefully others will do the same.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
Sounds like crap to me. I loathe that sort of artificial attempt to create 'atmosphere'.

OK point taken but if it does'nt work or the majority of fans don't like it the club will listen. It was brought up that we will have many new Albion fans at The Amex, some will have probably never set foot in a ground like ours before, many won't know the songs, history or perhaps alot of the players (!) The last thing we want is people sitting on their hands not knowing what to do. All these little things will help (not create) a match day atmosphere, at the end of the day that's down to the people in the stands.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
GOSBTS will be used as the players walk out as far as we were aware, its the build up in the tunnel (which will be broadcast on the giant screens) when the music will be used. Its primarily there to herald the start of the game and get people to their seats and of course get everyone going.

If it's not GOSBTS when the teams come out, that's a disgrace. There are plenty of other tunes that clubs 'use and it works very well'... which is EXACTLY why we should be using our own bit of music that has worked very well for decades, thanks. GOSBTS is synonymous with Albion walking out of the tunnel as far as I'm concerned and I'm sure anyone who used to go to the Goldstone in the club's best days would agree.

Personally, play anything else and I will boo it as the teams come out.. hopefully others will do the same.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It seems fairly obvious to me that the last tune BEFORE the teams come out should be 'Right Here, Right Now' which is a renowned football rabble-rouser and entirely appropriate for us because of the Fatboy connection. Followed by GOSBTS as the ref moves them forward... The fanfare at the start of that was always the cue for the rising roar in the days before big screens could show us the teams in the tunnel. If any new fans don't know that yet, they'll soon learn.

While I said earlier that it's good the club want to foster a fervent atmosphere, they also need to be aware that too much emphasis on creating an atmosphere with loud music actually kills it. It's a vicious circle. Play some loud music to get the fans excited - fans can't even hear the bloke next to them, let alone the away fans - club thinks 'oh, there's no atmosphere.. better turn up the music a bit more'.

I've been lucky enough in the past few years to go to 3 Champions League Finals. In Athens, the best part of the build-up was undoubtedly when the PA had technical problems for a minute or so. Result - Liverpool's fans started singing. The AC Milan fans responded. The noise and the excitement began to ramp up as more and more people were buzzing.. and then they turned the bloody music back on.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It seems fairly obvious to me that the last tune BEFORE the teams come out should be 'Right Here, Right Now' which is a renowned football rabble-rouser and entirely appropriate for us because of the Fatboy connection. Followed by GOSBTS as the ref moves them forward... The fanfare at the start of that was always the cue for the rising roar in the days before big screens could show us the teams in the tunnel. If any new fans don't know that yet, they'll soon learn.

While I said earlier that it's good the club want to foster a fervent atmosphere, they also need to be aware that too much emphasis on creating an atmosphere with loud music actually kills it. It's a vicious circle. Play some loud music to get the fans excited - fans can't even hear the bloke next to them, let alone the away fans - club thinks 'oh, there's no atmosphere.. better turn up the music a bit more'.

I've been lucky enough in the past few years to go to 3 Champions League Finals. In Athens, the best part of the build-up was undoubtedly when the PA had technical problems for a minute or so. Result - Liverpool's fans started singing. The AC Milan fans responded. The noise and the excitement began to ramp up as more and more people were buzzing.. and then they turned the bloody music back on.

THIS by the bucket load!

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
Your on the right lines with Fat Boy Slim, his music will definetly feature, not a great fan of dance music personally but it makes sense. Trouble is some other clubs have nicked Right Here, Right Now and others he has done I think. Probably time to reclaim them!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Your on the right lines with Fat Boy Slim, his music will definetly feature, not a great fan of dance music personally but it makes sense. Trouble is some other clubs have nicked Right Here, Right Now and others he has done I think. Probably time to reclaim them!

We're lucky on that score. Obviously, Tom Hark is 'ours' too.

Lush

Mods' Pet

I've always thought the opening lines of Praise You quite pertinent. "We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good ..."

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I've always thought the opening lines of Praise You quite pertinent. "We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good ..."

Very true. Just play the slow part up to "Praise you like I should... " and stop it before the music kicks in... then let the fans take over with "Seagulls" building up and rolling around the stadium as they see the players in the tunnel. Then, SBTS the sea as the players start the walk. Would be mustard. Of course, the hard part is the fans all singing 'Seagulls" but I firmly believe that if you leave some gaps, the crowd will fill them in...that's the 'organic' atmosphere bit the club really needs to keep in mind..

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS

Definitely this. I always think it's our song now because it's just so appropriate and sums it all up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Angel of Death by Slayer will rev the crowd up.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Definitely this. I always think it's our song now because it's just so appropriate and sums it all up.

Granted I have a vivid imagination but with Praise You playing, the club could have the words "Bring On.. The Albion" appearing on the big screen at the right rhythm for the Bring on the Champions chant. If people pick up on the visual cue and start singing it, great. If it spreads around the ground, dip the music. Then when you cut the pictures to the players inside the tunnel, you get a nice big cheer before they start the walk to SBTS.

And if people don't pick up the chant, well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. If they did and it worked, it would soon catch on and could give the players a really great reception every week.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The only mistake the club have made is putting the away fans behind the goal. Should be tucked in a corner. I fully expect us to be outsung every home match this season.

When the corners are filled in this is the plan, they'll be put in a corner with ability to put them in corner and behind goal for 15% games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here