Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fans Forum tonight

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
He is out of contract. He will be a free agent and we will not be able to command a fee if he wishes to leave. He has been one of our best players and I am pretty certain a fair amount of scouts will be recommending him to their clubs.

I'd say it will be a massive coup if we can sign him long term or even for another season!
Excuse my ignorance, (still learning rapidly on the contract side of things), but because Calderon is currently a Brighton player, do we not have the advantage of being able to offer him a contract before the season's end? (Obviously other clubs can't do this). Or do we have to wait 'til he becomes a free agent, and then lay down an offer on the table? Never been too sure on this.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Excuse my ignorance, (still learning rapidly on the contract side of things), but because Calderon is currently a Brighton player, do we not have the advantage of being able to offer him a contract before the season's end? (Obviously other clubs can't do this). Or do we have to wait 'til he becomes a free agent, and then lay down an offer on the table? Never been too sure on this.

I believe he is entitled to speak to any club with less than 6 months of his contract to run. We, of course, are able to offer him an extension now, but we are not in the box seat as it were - and have no advantage over any other team (apart from the fact that he may be settled here).

If he was under 23, then we would be entitled to some form of compensation for him, but only if we offer him equal or better terms to his current deal.

I think.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yeh i know he's a free agent at end of season but as WTS said we've got him so will offer a new contract - (Don't read this Mr Forster but i'm sure someone would've sounded out Inigo re his contract renewal a long time ago - of course they would have done) and i'm sure he'll renew it... He'll be offered a better deal for sure

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here