Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fans forum 1/8/13

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I actually thought that was one of the better fans forums that we have had. Only one really dumb question, and some pretty good answers from TB, PB, and OG. It is totally clear from Tony's answer that we are pushing for the playoffs at the very least, and it is is encouraging that we have that drive right from the outset.

I'm feeling reasonably optimistic for this season now.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Well Fulham were getting circa £2m a year off Kappa

One players wages for a season?

Or

They (the football club) may get a lump sum up front, but then the club have to pay for all the replicas, merchandise etc, in the normal way, and sell it, at their cost, that is where they make their money. Most only make money from the sales they make in the club shops etc, it also was Kappas first (real) presence in the lucrative Premier League so may well have paid an amount to get FFC on board. The deal, as published on various sites, was for $2M over the three years though.

Did Barber really say there was more pain to come for the fans or was that just put on here as a wind up?

And if he did, did he allude to what it would be?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Did Barber really say there was more pain to come for the fans or was that just put on here as a wind up?

And if he did, did he allude to what it would be?

From what I recall it was more of a "we have to reduce costs, increase income, sometimes that might be painful, but know we are doing things for a reason in the longer term" generalisation than anything specific.

ngood77

Aug 5, 2006
Has anybody successfully played this back via BBC iplayer radio ? It will not play for me on either iPhone or iPad. Just hangs and hangs whilst trying to play. Other shows play fine. Ta.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I thought Oscar gave three really interesting answers to questions:

1) In response to a question about which positions he thinks we should strengthen, he said "Obviously we have not many players in some positions but I don't want to tell you which positions because we have maybe one player there and it's not good for him, I want to respect everybody".

I interpreted his comment about having only one player in a position(s) literally. I assume he's talking about LB.

2) In response to a question about whether he'll pick different teams to play in league and cup games, he said "We will choose our best first 11 to win every game......I'm not thinking to change all the team when we play cup and when we play league".

3) In response to a question about formation, he said "What we try to do is to win the games and sometimes we will need two strikers, but initially I prefer to play with one striker and two wingers. But I don't think it's the only way to play. It's the way I like to play but sometimes maybe you need something more, for example if the other team has a player, then maybe you will have to add another striker to push the other team. It depends on the game." (Full answer)

That sounds like a Plan B!

I liked what I heard a lot and he's funny to boot!

*Kudos to Mr Banana for the transcript*

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Shame that with the club chairman and a brand new boss we still got the usual strange questions (own trains? Calling the caterers 'muppets' when saying we should take it in house with out any form of irony at all). Best bit for me was Oscar in reference to the Amex saying 'this is my house'.
Despite the good answers Paul Barber gave can't help but wonder if it would have been better to have Martin Perry on the panel instead. Nothing against him but it seemed that a fair few questions were nothing to do with what happens on the pitch

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
In order to get that transport up and running on Boxing Day the Football League have been kind to us and effectively we've not got a Boxing Day game this year

So is there no conference at the Centre this year or did we manage to get three fixture requests ???

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Has anybody successfully played this back via BBC iplayer radio ? It will not play for me on either iPhone or iPad. Just hangs and hangs whilst trying to play. Other shows play fine. Ta.

I could probably upload the recording to YouTube if it's useful. Would have thought the club will get it on Player imminently, though?

ngood77

Aug 5, 2006
I could probably upload the recording to YouTube if it's useful. Would have thought the club will get it on Player imminently, though?

Thanks, Mr B, but don't go to the YouTube trouble. I think it's a Flash-related issue as it does stream ok if I use the Photon app. So that will do. Thanks again.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Well Fulham were getting circa £2m a year off Kappa

Wolves Burrda kit deal (signed when they were in the Premier League) was worth £1m a year, for 3 years. Their new kit deal with puma (which was signed before they got relegated last season), is worth £1m over the 3 year duration.

Moral of the story, I guess, is that being in the Premier League seems to generate a lot of money in terms of kit deals.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Originally Posted by TottonSeagull View Post
Q: Just going back to the logistics of the transport, both Paul and Tony - is it possible that Brighton could invest in their own rolling stock? We can have a transport system from Brighton to Lewes continually rolling during the period of the game that isn't reliant on the actual Southern Rail timetable. Cos we haven't got any choice but to go with what the timetable is. We've got commuters etc at the weekends, during the week, then you've got your leisure travellers at the weekend, and it's a mixture of football supporters and people who are not necessarily wanting to get involved with all that. I don't know whether it's a possibility but it's just a thought.

Was this guy really being serious? Club trains?? Question of the night for me!! Surely no one is that thick...........or maybe they are!

Yes, rather worryingly I think he was.

There was a question and answer session at Sussex University during the 'Yes, Yes' campaign to get the stadium built.

Some clown stood up and asked Martin Perry if the club would finance the re-opening of the Lewes to Uckfield rail link as part of the transport plan. Looking gogsmacked, MP politely responded that he was in the business of building football stadia, not railways!

Imagine: A whole fleet of stations and trains painted with blue and white stripes? Awesome.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It was nothing on the Fans Forum with Russell Slade. He was basing doing a stand up comedy routine that night. He was incredible.

What a man. Bald hero.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Wolves Burrda kit deal (signed when they were in the Premier League) was worth £1m a year, for 3 years. Their new kit deal with puma (which was signed before they got relegated last season), is worth £1m over the 3 year duration.

Moral of the story, I guess, is that being in the Premier League seems to generate a lot of money in terms of kit deals.

I believe Fulhams deal with Kappa was worth $2M (dollars) over the three year deal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here