Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmers Blue roof

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
Just wondered what ohers thought of it. Was it better in the original white / silver as it was being built.

Seeing in the 'flesh' after a visit on Saturday just made me think it looked a bit plastic and takes away the beauty of the white arch ?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
We went to visit friends in Woodingdean yesterday, on the way back towards the A27 as you crest the hill and the stadium comes into view it is simply fantastic. The blue roof and white steel all curved just looks amazing. The wife wasn't quite as impressed as I was though.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I'm rather annoyed they have built the stadium where it is... if they moved it a couple of metres due West, there would be a much better view of the oak tree near the car park entrance. It is really going to spoil my enjoyment of the £90m wonder that is The AmECS!

Boo! Bloom OUT! :angry:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its great - of COURSE its great.

But its not QUITE as great as the pictures in the plans, which seemed to have a more glassy, see-through style roof. Not overly bothered though, obviously. Its a very minor quibble in the scheme of things.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
And so it begins.....

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It looks lovely - and i think you'll find it won't look very blue atall when you're in there... Out of interest, you know the bit that is properly dark roofed on the South Stand at the back - is that staying like it? Looking at a pic in front of me the origianl plan seems to show it as a 'Green Roof' ie Grass...?!

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
thats an old design it will stay like it is now

Whether you think the roof is better blue of clear is down to personal choice.

What I will add is that where I sit at Swansea's stadium, it is under a clear panel of roofing which allows the sun to glare at me whenever there is a clear sky (admittedly not very often in Wales). It gives me a bloody headache when I forget my glasses and invariably forces me to seek refuge at the bar.

The blue roof at Falmer filters the sun out nearly completely, so those sitting beneath will not be bothered. Personally I think it's superb, although I could never sanction such a move for Swansea as anything Blue would be considered sacrilege.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The blue roof at Falmer filters the sun out nearly completely, so those sitting beneath will not be bothered. Personally I think it's superb, although I could never sanction such a move for Swansea as anything Blue would be considered sacrilege.

Best ground outside the Premier League :thumbsup:

Whether you think the roof is better blue of clear is down to personal choice.

What I will add is that where I sit at Swansea's stadium, it is under a clear panel of roofing which allows the sun to glare at me whenever there is a clear sky (admittedly not very often in Wales). It gives me a bloody headache when I forget my glasses and invariably forces me to seek refuge at the bar.

You could always go for black ... as a permanent reminder of the fans' disappointment at not quite achieving what they hope for.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Without doubt mate :thumbsup:

Seriously?

I mean - I know we get the words coming from the club that we're going to do X and Y and everything else, and that £93m is obviously an exorbitant amount etc, but from someone on the ground, who's involved in building it from field to stadium and who has seen the specs, what is it that we will have that other grounds don't?

Or is it more to do with the design or materials?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
It looked a little plasticy to me first (when it started going up).
Sometimes state-of-the-art-materials and aesthetics don't go hand in hand.

Now it's just about complete (bar a few panels) it looks lip-smackingling gorgeous.
And it changes colour depending on the angle of the sun and your view.

Seriously?

I mean - I know we get the words coming from the club that we're going to do X and Y and everything else, and that £93m is obviously an exorbitant amount etc, but from someone on the ground, who's involved in building it from field to stadium and who has seen the specs, what is it that we will have that other grounds don't?

Or is it more to do with the design or materials?

A uniqueness and somewhere that's been designed for the fans to come and have a great time. In my experience, most grounds these days are bland uninspiring bowls, but the Amex will be one that definitely takes your breath away when you walk in.

£93m is a lot of money but I think it's been spend very wisely to create something that people here will be proud of for generations to come.

Like you lot, I'm biased - but it's what I genuinely think

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here