Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer: The decision's been made...now we just need to be told.

Guilligomarc'h Gully

Vive Les Mouettes!

Good. Seeing as I am not an estate agent...

or any sort of expert when it comes to these things. House prices will not drop in the village at all. If they are considered to be idyllic enough with two unis on the doorstep then the stadium will not make the slightest difference. It's location being so close to town and the main roads out, combined with it's quaint charm and presumed sleepy atmosphere make the houses worth what they are. Houses are worth what people will pay for them and I wouldn't expect the asking prices to drop any time soon.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
or any sort of expert when it comes to these things. House prices will not drop in the village at all. If they are considered to be idyllic enough with two unis on the doorstep then the stadium will not make the slightest difference. It's location being so close to town and the main roads out, combined with it's quaint charm and presumed sleepy atmosphere make the houses worth what they are. Houses are worth what people will pay for them and I wouldn't expect the asking prices to drop any time soon.

Yes but surely the prices will drop as we are all hooligans, who will pull up their rose bushes and urinate in their gardens, stampede their women and rape their cattle.....

Tsk tsk KSA, I thought everyone knew that:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Quite right. In fact, there have been a couple of surveys in recent years that suggest that property near a sports stadium will increase in value at a higher rate than surrounding areas.

Guilligomarc'h Gully

Vive Les Mouettes!

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Would not the presence of the Uni have a far greater impact? It's far bigger, and it's in business all the time?

I don't know whether it would tend to inflate housing prices (faculty, etc, find it handy) or depress them (locust-like swarms of drunken students),but surely either way the stadium's only an incremental change.

I lived in a college town with a 76,000-seat stadium, and yeah, it was a pain in the ass eight Saturdays a year, worst case (home games plus commencement) but the rest of the time the stadium, per se, was irrelevant.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
Would not the presence of the Uni have a far greater impact? It's far bigger, and it's in business all the time?

I don't know whether it would tend to inflate housing prices (faculty, etc, find it handy) or depress them (locust-like swarms of drunken students),but surely either way the stadium's only an incremental change.

I lived in a college town with a 76,000-seat stadium, and yeah, it was a pain in the ass eight Saturdays a year, worst case (home games plus commencement) but the rest of the time the stadium, per se, was irrelevant.

Ah yes, but don't forget, you will be able to SEE the staduim from the village

(If you are 7 foot tall, climb to the top of the church tower, stand on tiptoes, and peer very hard through the trees).

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Is that true about the new Prison built next to the station? Never new that.............any pictures? Why did the NIMBY'S not moan about that?:falmer:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Is that true about the new Prison built next to the station? Never new that.............any pictures? Why did the NIMBY'S not moan about that?:falmer:
Student accommodation but it does look prisonlike. No, there weren't any objections to the planning permission for them (as far as I know)

sumo

Mar 24, 2007
added

well done sussex express, its great that a publication such as yours is supporting the endless fight this club has had to endure over the past ten years. I'm glad that the right to community sports facilities for the many is favoured by the Sussex express over and above the personal wealth of the lucky few.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Student accommodation but it does look prisonlike. No, there weren't any objections to the planning permission for them (as far as I know)
Is it a case of Falmer residences seeing it as Middle and Upper class students, lower class football fans?

Or truthfuly 20,000 football fans ever other Saturday (of which only 2,000 will have had a few beers) compared to 2,000 students 40 weeks a year pissed most nights throwing up in the pond.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Is it a case of Falmer residences seeing it as Middle and Upper class students, lower class football fans?

Or truthfuly 20,000 football fans ever other Saturday (of which only 2,000 will have had a few beers) compared to 2,000 students 40 weeks a year pissed most nights throwing up in the pond.

In a nutshell, yes. Falmer residents are snobs.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Pissed up bloke falls face first into the flower beds at Royal Ascot... he's a "reveller, having a great day at at the races".

Pissed up bloke falls face first into the flower beds near a football ground... he's a "thug".

That's the Falmer attitude in a nutshell.

(In fact, on the any given matchday, there'll be far fewer pissed up fans at an Albion match than you'd ever see at some of the more 'acceptable' sporting events).

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The stadium doesn't, only the coach drop off point.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Pissed up bloke falls face first into the flower beds at Royal Ascot... he's a "reveller, having a great day at at the races".

Pissed up bloke falls face first into the flower beds near a football ground... he's a "thug".

That's the Falmer attitude in a nutshell.

(In fact, on the any given matchday, there'll be far fewer pissed up fans at an Albion match than you'd ever see at some of the more 'acceptable' sporting events).

Very true.
On the Argus website this evening there is an article about a woman being beaten up in HASTINGS by Charlton fans, but at least two people have already used it against the Falmer argument.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/display.var.1490182.0.woman_beaten_by_thugs_may_never_work_again.php

Guilligomarc'h Gully

Vive Les Mouettes!

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Very true.
On the Argus website this evening there is an article about a woman being beaten up in HASTINGS by Charlton fans, but at least two people have already used it against the Falmer argument.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/display.var.1490182.0.woman_beaten_by_thugs_may_never_work_again.php

you can make a story read how you like ....yobos ( who happen to support charlton) cause aggro ...they are just drunken yobos - the football angle is just anti football spin

Guilligomarc'h Gully

Vive Les Mouettes!
Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here