Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer Station

Interestingly ... the first version of the planning application that the Club put into the City Council (when the plan was to build the stadium in two stages), the Club's transport consultants submitted estimates of the numbers who could travel by train.

For the "phase one" stadium (about 14,000 capacity, if I remember rightly), they reckoned about 2,500-3,000 might be expected to use the train. Once the second phase was completed (an extra 8,000 seats), they reckoned the railway would take exactly the same number.

The train operator said that they were confident they could cope with those numbers.

It may well be the case that problems will only arise with crowds in excess of 14,000. I'll leave Ernest to speculate when we will rise up the league to the point that there will be sell-out crowds at every game.

Connex and "confident" ......................hmmmmmmmm???

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Looking at the train times and taking into account that alot of people will take the Lewes route home then it might not be that bad. There are trains either way just after 17:00, 17:20, and 17:30.
If you can get about people 800 per train I'd expect the vast majority will be on their way by half 5, that's not far off what happens at withdean at the moment.

A decent drinking facility at the ground will make a MASSIVE difference to the experience of those that don't mind waiting a while to miss the rush.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Of course it will be immaterial because if we don't sack that f***ing bald clown soon we will be in the Blue Square time the ground is ready and Bloomers can pay for a taxi for the 2 fans travelling to the ground :lolol::lolol::lolol:

:lolol: :lolol:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
There may be some chaos in the 1st few games, especially among those who haven't been to a match in years and, no doubt, these are the ones who will bombard the Argus (if still alive) with complaints.

In reality, we will all try to find the mode that suits us best and, after a game or two, will no doubt find it.

My favoured mode will be the train but there are loads of buses too and, if there's a safe walkway, I could always walk home via falmer road and the fields.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
There may be some chaos in the 1st few games, especially among those who haven't been to a match in years and, no doubt, these are the ones who will bombard the Argus (if still alive) with complaints.

In reality, we will all try to find the mode that suits us best and, after a game or two, will no doubt find it.

My favoured mode will be the train but there are loads of buses too and, if there's a safe walkway, I could always walk home via falmer road and the fields.

Don't know where you would be heading FG, but I heard as part of the infrastructure they're putting in hard paths to Bevendean and Moulsecoomb...:thumbsup:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Didn't we discuss this last week? Ooops, I forgot, people get cross if you say things like that.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Its a shame because i live right near Aldrington. :( Idm going early to the ground and sitting and reading the program like 45 mins before KO. But after... If they have a bus from town to falmer, might take that. As long as one ticket is able to have unlimted travel...

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Coming from Eastbourne I will be hoping to use the train.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I wonder if they would be putting a pathway from Hangleton to Falmer? That would be cool. If not, bus and/or train for me. Either way, it won't be a problem after a while because everyone will settle into their own little routines, and we'll all be fine. The moaners will moan, of course, but nothing is ever perfect.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I still think the flaw in all of this is the assumption that people will want to hang around after the game for a drink or to wait for a train.#

this may be an Uptopia in a planners mind, but this is just not what happens in the real world.

Once the game is finished, the fan wants away as quickly as possible. Yes there may be a few who want to hang around, but the vast majority will want away.

If Public transport becomes a problem, then I can see people not using it and then it will be an issue.

This must not be a hassle, or people will not go, irrespective its a fabulous stadium!"!!

southwickseagull

Mar 4, 2004
southwick
I seem to remember reading or hearing at the public inquiry that Falmer station was to be extended to take eight carriages, and a shuttle service would operate between Brighton and Lewes? But then i could be dreaming or going senile.

Alfred the greatx

Cake anyone, bit overdone
Jun 15, 2008
Considering the vast numbers of taxis serving Brighton and the ease of getting one back into town with a few mates to spread the cost, do the stadium plans have space for a huge taxi rank? Preferably next to the after match refreshment facility.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Fear not Tays Tuktuk company will be up and running by the time the stadium opens reduced rates for nscers
[yt]yThJrm9_ILw&NR=1[/yt]

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
It doesn't help that one of those 'four trains an hour' is the one to Ashford International, which has only TWO carriages.

The four mentioned comprise of two an hour to Seaford and two an hour to Eastbourne, alternating, to give an 'every fifteen minutes service' on the Btn - Falmer route. The Ashford train, when I've passed it whilst it's waiting at Lewes station, is standing-room only, so would only take a few fans :(

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Not everyone who would like to take the train will be able to. I just hope whoever organises the coaches makes a good job of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here