Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer station extension?

stickboy

Banned
May 30, 2012
Thought the club was extending the platforms? no work has started yet and if they aren't extended I can see nightmare congestion next season.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
It honestly won't bother me, I'm planning to get there early and leave late!! Hate standing around if there is no opportunity to do it without a pint in my hand.

stickboy

Banned
May 30, 2012
It honestly won't bother me, I'm planning to get there early and leave late!! Hate standing around if there is no opportunity to do it without a pint in my hand.

Ditto. I arrive when gates are open and leave well after people have left but midweek will be the problem.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I simply book a return coach with seagulls travel, tell them I'll only be on the return journey and make my way to the stadium at my own leisure. When the final whistle goes I stroll to my coach and off I go. Perfect!

I simply book a return coach with seagulls travel, tell them I'll only be on the return journey and make my way to the stadium at my own leisure. When the final whistle goes I stroll to my coach and off I go. Perfect!

Excellent idea! Have you ever got home and realised that you had driven?

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Do the club have any jurisdiction over what happens at Falmer Station? No. It's down to Southern. Sure the club might have to make a contribution towards the cost, but it's not up to them to do the work. Anyhow, it'll be pointless extending the platforms if the trains themselves can't be extended too.

I'm not sure that extending the platforms at Falmer Station has ever been an obligation. What was under consideration by the Council's Planning Committee in April was this:-

Section 106 Heads of Terms:
New Planning Obligation

Signatories: Brighton & Hove City Council (as Local Planning Authority), Network Rail, Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club and The Community Stadium PLC (Company).

The following improvements at Falmer Station to be implemented:

* Creating a second exit from Platform 1 at the Brighton end
* Upgrade of palisade fencing to stretch beyond the Brighton end of Platform 1 and other minor fencing improvements
* Increasing the width of the operable platform at the Lewes end of Platform 1 through clearance and stabilisation works.

The above improvements to be funded by the Company (up to the value of £200,000).

Stewarding Plan to be submitted and agreed prior to the Proposed Development being brought into use for the Interim Period (prior to the station works being implemented).

chairman

Mar 5, 2009
lostwithiel cornwall
surely if the trains are of the same length, you can only get a certain number on each train so that is the number they let on the platform each train. so no need to lengthen platforms as longer trains are unlikely. I think the stewards seem to have this sorted quite well. To move out that number of people will take time and we are as efficient as any other stadium in the country considering the large percentage that travel this way. Maybe they could have temporarily roof covering so the majority dont stand in the wet on bad days. but as we used to sit for 2 hours in the open at withdean we should be used to that by now. It was all doom and gloom about transport before last season started but in general it all worked ok by the end. Lets take a positive view and believe it will be the same this season.

Thought the club was extending the platforms? no work has started yet and if they aren't extended I can see nightmare congestion next season.

so the platforms get extended, what next? were are the extra trains coming from? having said that though, I find your tip predicting nightmare congestion useful,any chance you can predict last nights Spain Italy result as well?

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
One of the supporting documents for the planning application, a letter from Southern Rail contained this:

"As you may be aware further discussions are taking place between Network Rail and BHAFC
regarding some minor amendments to the platforms at Falmer Station including, increasing the
operable length of Platform 1 by clearance and stabilisation works, creating a second exit from
Platform 1 at the Brighton end and upgrading and extending the palisade fencing to stretch beyond
the Brighton end of Platform 1. Network Rail will require that these works are implemented as soon
as reasonably practical."

So this says "increasing the operable LENGTH of platform 1" but the Section 106 says "Increasing the WIDTH of the operable platform at the Lewes end of Platform 1".

We will have to wait and see which was correct.

One of the supporting documents for the planning application, a letter from Southern Rail contained this:

"As you may be aware further discussions are taking place between Network Rail and BHAFC
regarding some minor amendments to the platforms at Falmer Station including, increasing the
operable length of Platform 1 by clearance and stabilisation works, creating a second exit from
Platform 1 at the Brighton end and upgrading and extending the palisade fencing to stretch beyond
the Brighton end of Platform 1. Network Rail will require that these works are implemented as soon
as reasonably practical."

So this says "increasing the operable LENGTH of platform 1" but the Section 106 says "Increasing the WIDTH of the operable platform at the Lewes end of Platform 1".

We will have to wait and see which was correct.
It is the OPERABLE length of platform 1 that is being extended. In other words, the platform will be widened at the Lewes end, to allow passengers to wait safely at the end of the platform. For £200,000, you wouldn't be able to lengthen the platform itself.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Hang on tho' - unless the Lewes platforms are extended as well this would surely only be of benefit to those going to/from Brighton?

Never really had a problem going back to Lewes anyway so not needed that way.

The only problem going Lewes way is the twats that rush to get on the platform and then don't get on the train because its not the Seaford/Eastbourne one and wait for the next one. They are too stupid to realise the train stops at Lewes so they can get off there and wait which would cut down the congestion at Falmer.

Never really had a problem going back to Lewes anyway so not needed that way.

The only problem going Lewes way is the twats that rush to get on the platform and then don't get on the train because its not the Seaford/Eastbourne one and wait for the next one. They are too stupid to realise the train stops at Lewes so they can get off there and wait which would cut down the congestion at Falmer.
Or connect with the London to Eastbourne train at Lewes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here