Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer station at the end of matches

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I agree with most of this but, the Goldstone was in the middle of a residential area with lots of free parking available for those who wanted it..

The Goldstone handled big crowds when very few people had cars so parking doesn't really come into it - the 36,000+ who made up Brighton's biggest gate wouldn't have got home by car.

The people who say that there will be ways round this are perfectly right - thousands of people make their way home from football stadia every week, some of which are in the middle of nowhere. I've been to evening matches at Reading, Northampton and Rushden (all pretty isolated) and still managed to get home by public transport.

And Notters, I'd dearly love to see you walk from Falmer to Brighton station in 45 minutes. I live in Coldean and it takes me about 20 to 25 minutes to walk to Falmer and about 50 -55 minutes to walk to Brighton station (and I'm a fast walker). It would take a good hour to do that walk.

Me, I'm going to cycle to Falmer, I'll do it in about 6 or 7 minutes and plenty of places to park the bike.

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
Hmmmm. What seems to be emerging here is that we are still going to have the Withdean scenario. Win or lose, fans are going to start leaving their seats 10 minutes from the end in order to catch their buses or an early train. :rant:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Gwylan, I do walk very fast! It took an hour from my house, on the hove border on western road.

An hour isn't 45 minutes though. I said it would take an hour and that's what you now seem to be saying (I know you're saying to your house but the distance from the 7 dials to the bottom on Montpelier - which is roughly the Hove border - and to the station is not all that different).

No matter how long it takes, it's a walk that I can't see many people attempting.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
An hour isn't 45 minutes though. I said it would take an hour and that's what you now seem to be saying (I know you're saying to your house but the distance from the 7 dials to the bottom on Montpelier - which is roughly the Hove border - and to the station is not all that different).

No matter how long it takes, it's a walk that I can't see many people attempting.

It's 15 minutes from my house to the station. No, I'm not saying they will. I walk to the withdean and see people getting on buses 2/3 of the way there. Personally I think it's pathetic (tho obviously there are some elderley, etc that can't walk).

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If there's a decent bar/social club there I might stop for a :drink: and miss the rush.
f*** walking there.
There's going to need to be barS (plural). Can you imagine the crush if 15,000 people decide to stay behind for a pint?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Perhaps we could have a picnic and a game of ring-a-ring-of-roses in the beer garden of The Swan after games?

I've heard the landlord is quite an amenable chap :falmer:

I'm hoping they will be motorcycle parking at the ground also.

don't think so. I seem to recall that we will have the absolute minimum amount of parking spaces (other than those for emergency service vehicles) than we can get away with.

Push bikes will be welcomed with open arms but anything with an internal combustion engine will be frowned upon by an orange jacket

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
There will be use of the Sussex Uni car parks but probably only by prepaid ticket (will be a premium season ticket option).
Have they prepared the Travel Management Plan and had it approved yet by the Council or is that still still to be done? Lord B?
PG

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
All able bodied Albion fans living within a 'reasonable' distance of The Tony Meola Stadium should be forced to cycle, end of.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
The Goldstone handled big crowds when very few people had cars so parking doesn't really come into it - the 36,000+ who made up Brighton's biggest gate wouldn't have got home by car.

Nicely taken out of context. The line you quoted was followed with views on the accessibility of rail, bus and walking options.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why do you need to walk from Brighton station to Falmer. If the tickets include the cost of local travel as they do now, get the train or get the bus!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

You are talking of an era when car use was a privilege. It is now a 'necessity'. I would imagine that we have a large proportion of support that would not be able to cope without having their car keys to hand or hitching alife from the wife. (I.e. Cavemen/Drongoes).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here