Bexhill-on-Sea
Worked out where to leave the car, more like :lol:

180px-Falmer_night.jpg

:falmer:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I can foresee the dozen or so extra shuttle buses laid on to take fans back into the town centre will leave 10 minutes before the full time whistle virtually empty. The rest of us will then have to wait for the scheduled bus service and we will still be waiting until the "shuttle" buses return for another trip back into town.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Don't be so bloody stupid, 22,000 fans being in the ground at the final whistle, 10,000 Brighton fans will have left with ten minutes to go in the rush for the bus/train, it happens at Withdean, it will happen at Falmer

People catch on quick and last season i heard on the grapevine that people were leaving at half time to beat the 6,000 plus crowd RUSH :lolol: home,this somewhat backfired v the foxes but until the last game of the season people sussed that if they didnt turn up at all they wouldnt have to wait 10 mins for a bus home after the match. Clever fickle feckers.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
is this a serious question? its the same up and down the country where theres only the one station to deal with locals and vistors. yes, if you've ever been to an away game, the vistors will be kept back 10-20 min to clear the way a bit.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I can foresee the dozen or so extra shuttle buses laid on to take fans back into the town centre will leave 10 minutes before the full time whistle virtually empty. The rest of us will then have to wait for the scheduled bus service and we will still be waiting until the "shuttle" buses return for another trip back into town.

Why do you need shuttle buses to take you from Blundell Park back to Cleethorpes?

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Maybe some of you should have aired these fears earlier then we wouldn't have to worry because we wouldn't have a ground.

There are much bigger crowds at grounds all over the country and not many have a station and bus route on site.

if you can't handle being in a crowd of more than 6,000 then don't go. I remember the 30,000+ Goldstone crowds and sure there were crowds at hove station but they soon cleared.

Give it a few games and most locals will have sussed out their best route.

I agree with most of this but, the Goldstone was in the middle of a residential area with lots of free parking available for those who wanted it, a station with three platforms that made it easier to run additional serives including a mainline link towards London for the majority of away fans, an alternative station at Aldrington that some used to beat the crowds, bus services that ran from different nearby streets to a variety of destinations and was a fairly reasonable walk into the (then) town centre for those who wanted to go back into town for a drink after.

Society has changed and the park and walk option that many do at Withdean, is not as easy to employ in the area around the new stadium. I think that the bus options will be key to the success of this. If the club or the bus companies decide to run some alternative routes that go West towards Hove and Shoreham and North towards Burgess Hill and Haywards Heath to supplement the existing bus and train routes then this might alleviate a lot of the pressure on both the local parking situation and the trains.

I agree that most people will work out their routes after a while but I think it may take a while for the whole transportation issue to settle down.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
The ground would not have been given the go ahead if they felt that local transport networks could not cope with the influx of football supporters leaving the ground.

Last edited:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I agree with most of this but, the Goldstone was in the middle of a residential area with lots of free parking available for those who wanted it, a station with three platforms that made it easier to run additional serives including a mainline link towards London for the majority of away fans, an alternative station at Aldrington that some used to beat the crowds, bus services that ran from different nearby streets to a variety of destinations and was a fairly reasonable walk into the (then) town centre for those who wanted to go back into town for a drink after.

Society has changed and the park and walk option that many do at Withdean, is not as easy to employ in the area around the new stadium. I think that the bus options will be key to the success of this. If the club or the bus companies decide to run some alternative routes that go West towards Hove and Shoreham and North towards Burgess Hill and Haywards Heath to supplement the existing bus and train routes then this might alleviate a lot of the pressure on both the local parking situation and the trains.

I agree that most people will work out their routes after a while but I think it may take a while for the whole transportation issue to settle down.

Good points. I'm not sure how they will do a P&R. I would expect a Woodingdean/Race Hill/Marina route as that's a bit of a blind spot in access with just the narrow Falmer Road.

I'd also think P&R sites just off the bypass at Crowhurst Rd (loads of factory car parks) and Corals (tie in with discount for dogs?) could work and the idea of buses heading north sounds a good one too.

Falmer is my side of town. On a good day i could even walk!

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
How long will it take realisticallyto walk it from say Brighton station?

The ground would not have been given the go ahead if they felt that local transport networks cold not cope with the influx of football supporters leaving the ground.

I think your point is covered by paragraphs 45 & 46 of the initial planning consent, particularly the latter; both have probably been transposed into the approval for the revised design etc given by B&HCC earlier this year but I haven't the time this evening to check.

"45. No development shall be commenced (with the exception of archaeological or other preliminary site investigations) until a Travel Management Group has been established in accordance with the terms of reference submitted to and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority for the purpose of consultation with interested parties as to arrangements for travel management associated with the use of the Stadium and the preparation of the Travel Management Plan as required by Condition 39. The parties to be invited to become members of the Travel Management Group shall include:

The Contractors (during the Construction Period)
The Company
Brighton and Hove City Council
The University of Brighton
The University of Sussex
Sussex Police
British Transport Police
East Sussex Fire Service
East Sussex Ambulance Service
East Sussex Highway Authority
The Highways Agency
Brighton and Hove Bus and Coach Company
Govia South Central
Lewes District Council
Falmer Parish Council

Or any successor body to the said groups, organisations or Councils.

46. The Stadium shall not be brought into use unless and until a Travel Management Plan prepared in consultation with the Travel Management Group has been submitted to and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority.

The Travel Management Plan shall include details of:
1. Match ticket sales points;
2. Provision of Transport Voucher or equivalent and journeys/modes to be covered by the same;
3. Capacity location management and operational arrangements of Park and Ride sites and the Bus and Coach Park;
4. Provision of Signage directing vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists to Stadium and Parking;
5. Public Transport arrangements to be provided including (but not limited to) addition public transport capacity on Event Days;
6. A Parking Management Strategy for the Controlled Parking Zone as defined in Condition 48 below;
7. Methodology for assessment of additional traffic impacts;
8. Publicity arrangements in respect of parking restrictions in the vicinity of the Stadium including (but not limited to) restrictions on parking on the Falmer Campus of the University of Brighton in Falmer Village and in Stanmer Park and the use of non-car travel modes (to include away supporters);
9. Pedestrian routing to and from the Stadium;
10. Management of Pedestrian Routes;
11. An Information Strategy for publicity of travel details and advice of spectator behaviour;
12. Mechanism for monitoring and review of the Travel Management Plan;

No event with an anticipated attendance of 500 or more shall take place at the Stadium other than in accordance with the Travel Management Plan or such separate Travel Management Plan as shall have been submitted to and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority specific to that Event."

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Good points. I'm not sure how they will do a P&R. I would expect a Woodingdean/Race Hill/Marina route as that's a bit of a blind spot in access with just the narrow Falmer Road.

I'd also think P&R sites just off the bypass at Crowhurst Rd (loads of factory car parks) and Corals (tie in with discount for dogs?) could work and the idea of buses heading north sounds a good one too.

Falmer is my side of town. On a good day i could even walk!

It will be interesting to see if Southern Water open up their car park for football fans (maybe UB can use his influence). They have a fairly large car park there so, even allowing for keeping some space back for people who work at weekends, they must have a couple of hundred spaces that they could punt out a £5 per game which would be a nice £20k+ income stream for them over a season. against the cost of a couple of car park stewards.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
lets say a "good hour" then for arguements sake

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here