Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer Shock! - No Need for the Case to go to Court

Pavilionaire said:
I'm not a legal person but can see how the Antis now have plenty of scope for further delaying tactics now they've exposed Prescott's ineptitude.

It seems unlikely to me that having won a victory, and had the balls to call Prescott a buffoon in the local press, the Antis will follow that up by conceding victory.

Like other posters I fully expect further significant delays. After all, we all know that Prescott IS a buffoon and this f***-up is pretty basic stuff, so how can you trust anything the guy says to be the truth?

I think we'll win the case, but in 2007.

You seriously believe that this was Prescott's fault? You think that Prescott words every last document in his department? The same Prescott that swans around the country punching people.

It is the fault of an inept Civil Servant or maybe very junior minister.

sullyshuffle

Aug 16, 2003
Horsham
so this is a total kick in the teeth for the fans and supporters who have been focusing on the immediate fight ahead.
The fans need to support the team, not get at LDC tomorrow.
The fight against LDC will continue, but not at Withdean tomorrow.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
The Great Cornholio said:
You seriously believe that this was Prescott's fault? You think that Prescott words every last document in his department? The same Prescott that swans around the country punching people.

This maybe true..... but he should read everything he puts his name to and make sure it is correct.

I can't agree with those who see this as bad news. Prescott has made a technical error and says he will think again. He has only two options.

Option 1 - Yes, I made a technical error and to be fair to all concerned I've looked at the whole thing again and I have decided that the decision was correct and planning permission is confirmed.

Option 2 - Yes, I made a technical error, and not only that but I've looked at the decision again and decided I was wrong on that as well!

Does anybody seriously expect Prescott to take Option 2? I don't think so!

And when that permission is concerned, Lewes DC will have to decide whether to apply for a Judicial Review. But that will be more difficult for them to succeed as the lawyers would have looked at everything for the second time. And even if they do get a JR there is no chance of JP changing his mind on the third go! What's more, Lewes will be able to say "well, we tried" - it gives them an opportunity to save face.

So I think it's positive.

OK so it's another hurdle for us, but if you want things to be easy then you're supporting the wrong club. This is the Albion, this is what happens to us!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Whats the fuss about, the error was placed deliberately, and LDC fell for it !!

We WILL get Falmer

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I thought they were not going to win and it was a waste of everyones time? clearly it is not - they are delaying it more and with hope that the club go under and this rate they will - that or they will slip down the leagues due to no player investment as the purse strings are tighten even more.

Seems to me the ldc are infact winning.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I agree with you on that

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Kinky Gerbils said:
I thought they were not going to win and it was a waste of everyones time? clearly it is not - they are delaying it more and with hope that the club go under and this rate they will - that or they will slip down the leagues due to no player investment as the purse strings are tighten even more.

Seems to me the ldc are infact winning.

Please feel free to Re-Read this entire thread

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Why would the LDC lawyers bringthis to the attention of the High Court if it was going to speed up the proceedings? That doesn't sit too well with me.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Yes, mistakes are made, but with a high profile case, these should have been checked; checked; checked and checked again. There is no margin for error in the planning business as it costs a huge amount of money. Careless.

Last edited:

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield

Somebody will be getting a kicking off JP in ODPM for that error

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
This feels like we are back where we were 2 or 3 year ago :nono:

We are faced with the prospect of another finger-biting decision with the threat of a JR after that.

At least this time last year we thought we only had a matter of months until a definitive answer.

Now, the tunnel seems so long I can barely see any sign of light at the end of it :nono:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Of course any further delay is irritating beyond compare, but the important issue here is not our personal feelings and frustrations, but that the stadium WILL be built, and the delays will be a dim and distant memory once we finally open our shiny new stadium.

To those who fear that we'll go out of business before it's built, I say rubbish, there is no way on earth that the fans and Board will allow that to happen. If it comes down to it, I'd do almost anything to save the club, and so would many thousands of others.

We WILL survive, and we WILL get Falmer

FACT

So stop ya whinging :clap2: :clap2:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Unbelievable, just seen the news.
Seems like a diasaster to me, I'm not convinced that a cock-up will actually speed the process up, LDC are going to be smug as you can be, and there will be a knock-on effect on peoples attitudes at the game tomorrrow.

I really, really hope all this is worth it in the long term.:nono:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
This decision doesn't bother me in the slightest. Strikes me as being an all-round political face-saving exercise.

It is a get-out for the numpties at Lewes District Council, who get to claim a victory whilst quietly dropping any plans to challenge again now they actually know the views of their residents.

The ODPM get out of an embarrassing court case.

And ultimately, we get our Stadium.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This could be good news .....

LDC have won their little victory. The realise that when Prescott comes to the same decison again (and frames it correctly this time) that that was the ONLY point where they were in the right. They can now drop their opposition without losing face knowing that they are off the hook as far as extra costs etc go. This means they won't face the wrath of an increasingly stroppy electorate who, even if they don't care about Falmer one way or another, resent the money that has been / will be spent on further legal action.

.... or it could be bad news ....

LDC having won one victory ask for a J.R. on the revised decision. They won once, they can win again, after all nobody thought planning consent would be squashed (for whatever reason) did they? For them the worst that could happen is they delay the stadium for a few more years, at best they will succed in their hidden agenda of killing the club and solving the proble once and for all. That 'golden scenario' for them is worth a few extra thousand in legal bills.

My head says the first option. However they are vindictive bastards who don't give a toss about democracy or the people of Sussex so I'm not banking on it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Why would the LDC lawyers bringthis to the attention of the High Court if it was going to speed up the proceedings? That doesn't sit too well with me.
Perhaps they didn't anticipate the government conceding the point without it actually going to a J R.

le fabue

Have an adequate day
Jan 19, 2005
Bramley
I think this is ultimately good news for the club - the bottom line is that the ODPM have said that only one of Lewes's arguments stands, and that consists of an error defining the land in the document. Whoopdidoo.

Clearly, Prescott has to revisit the decision because of this error, but will surely just re-confirm planning permission.

What I'm not clear on is why all parties need to resubmit letters / applications? Surely he already has all the information. What more can Lewes possibly provide to change his mind, that they haven't done already?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here