Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer Parish Council reveal who is funding the Judicial Review Application

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Deano's Right Foot said:
I think that Lewes is stumping up the other £25k TLO.

They think it will cost £60k:
£25k Falmer Parish Council
£25k Lewes District Council
£5k x 2 - the downs organisations

They do not make it clear if their costs will be £60k, or total costs will be £60k, but I'm assuming that it's their legal costs. As everyone else says the govt bill could be 5 or 10 times that....
When they say 'we', they mean 'those opposing the stadium'. This is the important line from the Parish Council :

The legal action, if we lose, will cost £60000. That's EVERYONE'S (including the government's) total bill. If they believe that they will lose just their own costs if the lose the case, they are seriously misguided. However, they acknowledge later in that statement that they will have to cough up ALL costs if they lose.

That's why I say they believe everyone's costs will come out at £60,000.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
The Large One said:
When they say 'we', they mean 'those opposing the stadium'. This is the important line from the Parish Council :

The legal action, if we lose, will cost £60000. That's EVERYONE'S (including the government's) total bill. If they believe that they will lose just their own costs if the lose the case, they are seriously misguided. However, they acknowledge later in that statement that they will have to cough up ALL costs if they lose.

That's why I say they believe everyone's costs will come out at £60,000.

*already standing corrected*
:angel:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I like the gherkins in the big macs but it has to be said McDonalds cannot stand up to scrutiny compared to the greatest ever junk food fast food meal

THE KFC FILLET TOWER BURGER

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
Originally posted by Easy 10
You're WEIRD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

:(

If it's any consolation, I think the gherkins are the best bit, too. The rest is rank - particularly the cheese. And the bun.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BAG and Easy 10 - the new Beach Hut and Ernest.

Anyway, assuming that those are the figures that Lewes District Council / Falmer Parish Council are budgeting for, which government silk is going to bother his arse to get out of bed for less than £25,000? A crap one?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
Don't! You're making me even more angry!!!

I HATE nimby's more than ANYTHING else in the WORLD

even more than Daily mail readers?

Love you babe:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Uncle Spielberg said:
I like the gherkins in the big macs but it has to be said McDonalds cannot stand up to scrutiny compared to the greatest ever junk food fast food meal

THE KFC FILLET TOWER BURGER

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

nah

Uncle sams double Cheese burger

:p :p

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can't help but feel partly responsible for this burger talk. I shall retire from this thread.

:slinks off:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Another question? Are the costs cumulative? In other words, if LDC/Falmer win the JR, are their costs then paid or do they wait until the government takes to appeal (which they will) to wait and see who wins that.

I ask because if this goes all the way to the House of Lords, it could be really, really expensive, whereas if the government wins two and Falmer/LDC wins one, it's just expensive.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Gwylan said:
Another question? Are the costs cumulative? In other words, if LDC/Falmer win the JR, are their costs then paid or do they wait until the government takes to appeal (which they will) to wait and see who wins that.

I ask because if this goes all the way to the House of Lords, it could be really, really expensive, whereas if the government wins two and Falmer/LDC wins one, it's just expensive.

If LDC / FDC 'wins' this Judicial Review (this may be contested on more than one issue, remember), the High Court refers it back to Prescott, who must then re-consider taking into account any points of principle the judge tells him to. Taking any of that into consideration, he can, of course, still grant permission.

Awarding costs against the 'loser' is at the discretion of the courts. If, say, Lewes 'wins' on a particular point but 'loses' on three, the judge may not award all the costs against Lewes District Council. It may depend on who the challenger is.

In this instance, it is a local authority, who, it can be very easily argued, are doing quite maliciously. Therefore, if they do lose, they will almost be certain to cop the lot.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Large One said:
If LDC / FDC 'wins' this Judicial Review (this may be contested on more than one issue, remember), the High Court refers it back to Prescott, who must then re-consider taking into account any points of principle the judge tells him to.

Taking any of that into consideration, he can, of course, still grant permission.

Yes I know that. But I believe that he could also appeal against it. If so, how are the costs divvied up - do they start again from scratch or do they wait until the whole thing has been completed with the winner taking all?

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Seeing as the LDC and their mates have their hands on all this cash, can we not invoice them for our costs on the enquiries so far? Seems clear to me they can at least start making repayments...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here