Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer Parish Council reveal who is funding the Judicial Review Application

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
what would be great would be if a few nimbys remortgaged their houses in the fight . . .then when they loose have them repossessed. then the building contractors buy the houses and rent them to a load of hairy arsed navvies while theyre doing ground works for the staium. meanwhile the nimbys' get put up in some dodgy council flats in Moulsecoomb :lolol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Lord Bracknell said:
From http://www.angelfire.com/space/falmer/LatestNews.htm
To get around this he has said that although a football stadium is not in the national interest the regeneration of an area of deprivation such as Moulsecoombe is. This actually means that any developer could in the future use this argument to build on AONB or even National Park land, as long as it was close to somewhere designated as an area of deprivation. All the downland between Falmer and Sheepcote could be threatened. Sheepcote is also an area of deprivation. The irony is that not only can a developer use these areas of deprivation to build on protected land, but can also get grants from the government to do it. The football club are hoping to get 10 million pounds in grants to help in this so called regeneration.
Perhaps someone could dig out Prescott's letter and correct me, but I don't recall him saying the stadium wasn't in the national interest. He said he didn't agree that the Albion's survival is in the national interest.

In effect, Prescott is saying that the need for a community stadium and the need for Albion's survival are two separate issues. However, he does agree that (1) a stadium would be beneficial to the area and, more importantly, (2) not building a stadium would be unnecessarily detrimental.

FPC's hysterical argument pre-supposes that every planning application on AONB sites will automatically be proved to be in the national interest. In reality, of course, that's bollocks. Anyone wanting to building on AONB sites in the future would have to go through the same grief as we have been through in order to prove that their application was in the national interest. The vast, vast majority just won't bother.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Re: Re: Falmer Parish Council reveal who is funding the Judicial Review Application

The Large One said:
So, let's do the sums here.

The total costs are £60,000. SSD and SDCB are coughing up £5,000 apiece. That's £50,000 to find, and they need £25,000. So, £25,000 + £10,000 (contributed) = £35,000 (that's what they're estimating their solicitors will cost). Take that £35,000 from the £60,000 and that leaves £25,000 - and that's what they believe the government's solicitors will cost?

So, if I've got this right - Lewes DC believe their solicitors are going to cost £10,000 more than the Government's. Are they completely f***ing mad?

]

I'm a bit of a :dunce:

I don't understand your maths? Aren't they saying that the total combined cost should they lose is 60,000? Where does it say 35,000 for their solicitors? And whats the 10,000 contributed all about?

I want to :lolol: at the NIMBY'S, I just don't understand what 'Im :lolol: at.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Re: Re: Re: Falmer Parish Council reveal who is funding the Judicial Review Application

garry nelsons left foot said:
I'm a bit of a :dunce:

I don't understand your maths? Aren't they saying that the total combined cost should they lose is 60,000? Where does it say 35,000 for their solicitors? And whats the 10,000 contributed all about?

I want to :lolol: at the NIMBY'S, I just don't understand what 'Im :lolol: at.

I'm the opposite - i want to go to their scummy villiage and burn it down :angry: :angry: :angry: theyre getting me more and more angry the longer it goes on

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
They are saying that the TOTAL costs (Lewes AND the government) will be £60,000.

The legal action, if we lose, will cost £60000
£35,000 is taken from the point that they have two contributions of £5,000 (that's £10,000 to you). This means we need to find £25,000. We have already raised £15,000, and so need to find another £10,000. So £60,000 - their £35,000 is £25,000, which is all they believe the government is prepared to throw at this.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Tom Hark said:
Who pays the LDC costs when they lose? Named individuals who brought the case, or the LDC tax-payers? If it's the latter, there is surely a case answer to the Audit Commission for reckless misuse of public funds without having any kind of mandate to do so? ???
He's already been bombarded with this...

ripper

Jul 5, 2003
I really don't see how Prescotts decision on this could set a precedent for the future protection of ANOBs. This IMO is a fairly exceptional planning application for an exceptional building which has had 3 enquiries. I couldn't see many other businesses sticking with the planning process after maybe the second enquiry if they were losing alot of money. The Albion have been through ALOT to get this far, and the fact is as the last enquiry proved there doesn't appear to be anywhere else to put the stadium.

If you ask me saying this is to protect ANOBs in the future is just an excuse to serve their NIMBYism.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
No, he said that although it was in an AONB - the stadium WAS in the national interest
But since when have the nimbys allowed a few simple FACTS to get in the way eh ? Don't forget, LDC are leading the fight against the destruction of Falmer Village, arn't they.

:rolleyes:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The Large One said:
They are saying that the TOTAL costs (Lewes AND the government) will be £60,000.

£35,000 is taken from the point that they have two contributions of £5,000 (that's £10,000 to you). This means we need to find £25,000. We have already raised £15,000, and so need to find another £10,000. So £60,000 - their £35,000 is £25,000, which is all they believe the government is prepared to throw at this.

Oh. I read that to mean that the 10,000 from the two donators was towards the total costs should they lose, and that they and LDC would split the other 50,000.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Re: Re: Falmer Parish Council reveal who is funding the Judicial Review Application

The Large One said:
So, let's do the sums here.

The total costs are £60,000. SSD and SDCB are coughing up £5,000 apiece. That's £50,000 to find, and they need £25,000. So, £25,000 + £10,000 (contributed) = £35,000 (that's what they're estimating their solicitors will cost). Take that £35,000 from the £60,000 and that leaves £25,000 - and that's what they believe the government's solicitors will cost?

So, if I've got this right - Lewes DC believe their solicitors are going to cost £10,000 more than the Government's. Are they completely f***ing mad?

For every solicitor Lewes employs, the government will employ three. Each of the government's solicitors will be twice the cost of Lewes, and the government will go full pelt into this one. f*** sake, who did those sums?

I understood this differently. They think the total bill will be 60K.
SSD + SDCB are paying 10K, so that's 50K left. LDC will pay half of this, so that's 25K left. They already have 15K ( put up by Falmer residents as they don't possibly think they can lose ), but still need to raise another 10K of their share.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
The Large One said:

I think that Lewes is stumping up the other £25k TLO.

They think it will cost £60k:
£25k Falmer Parish Council
£25k Lewes District Council
£5k x 2 - the downs organisations

They do not make it clear if their costs will be £60k, or total costs will be £60k, but I'm assuming that it's their legal costs. As everyone else says the govt bill could be 5 or 10 times that....

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
ripper said:
I really don't see how Prescotts decision on this could set a precedent for the future protection of ANOBs. This IMO is a fairly exceptional planning application for an exceptional building which has had 3 enquiries. I couldn't see many other businesses sticking with the planning process after maybe the second enquiry if they were losing alot of money. The Albion have been through ALOT to get this far, and the fact is as the last enquiry proved there doesn't appear to be anywhere else to put the stadium.

If you ask me saying this is to protect ANOBs in the future is just an excuse to serve their NIMBYism.

Anyway, a lot of other applications ( ie Sainsburys etc. ) would surely fail the 'Can it be built anywhere else?' test.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Easy 10 said:
But since when have the nimbys allowed a few simple FACTS to get in the way eh ? Don't forget, LDC are leading the fight against the destruction of Falmer Village, arn't they.

:rolleyes:

Don't! You're making me even more angry!!!

I HATE nimby's more than ANYTHING else in the WORLD

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
ripper said:
This IMO is a fairly exceptional planning application for an exceptional building which has had 3 enquiries.

There have only been two Inquiries into the planning application for the Stadium.

The other Inquiry was into the local plan, and what the land at Falmer was designated for. What did the Inspector recommend instead of the Stadium btw, that could be useful.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Deano's Right Foot said:
They do not make it clear if their costs will be £60k, or total costs will be £60k, but I'm assuming that it's their legal costs.

I disagree - I think they make it clear that they _think_ total costs will be £60k...

The legal action, if we lose, will cost £60000......If we lose we pay their costs.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Re: Re: Re: Falmer Parish Council reveal who is funding the Judicial Review Application

sparkie said:
... but still need to raise another 10K of their share.

This is probably what Keith Rapley's 'I'll pay 100 quid if 100 other people do' pledge list is supposed to address.

:jester:

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
Don't! You're making me even more angry!!!

I HATE nimby's more than ANYTHING else in the WORLD
Even more than those little ridged gherkin slices you get in McDonalds cheeseburgers ?

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Bozza said:
I disagree - I think they make it clear that they _think_ total costs will be £60k...

Thanks - I stand corrected.

I think that they may have seriously underestimated these costs - didn't Livingston's 2 JRs against PPP cost £4.2m?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here