Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer Parish Council Fight ON

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Even answering those old, old points, Prescott AGREED that the Albion's survival was not in the national interest, and that the stadium itself would not necessarily bring about Albion's revivial, but he did say that the stadium and the benefits it could bring were in line with government policy of urban re-generation.

And the Falmer site is considered URBAN, not rural, because there are buildings already on there.

17. Although the proposed development is designed to be as well integrated into the landscape as it can be, given the scale of a development of this size within the AONB, it cannot be said to conform with ESSP Policy EN2 or ESSP Policy EN3. Nor can it be said to conform with ESSP Policy EN4, which applies even stricter criteria than EN3 for the protection of open downland. However, the Secretary of State is not convinced that this area can be categorised as open downland as he applies more weight to the recently adopted Local Plan which places the site within the boundary of the built up area of the City.

Plus, the faith in which FPC place on the first inspector's report is completely blown out of the water by Prescott because (and one day the Falmer parishoners will get their thick heads round this), the first inspector could not rule on other sites because he had little or no evidence on them. They claim he says other sites were suitable, but he was not in a legal position to make that judgement. FPC only place their faith in him because he agrees with them. Take the first Inspector's evidence to court, and it will be laughed out within five minutes.

The second inspector stated quite clearly that none of the other sites were suitable, mainly for the reasons the Albion gave. In other words, he agreed with the Albion's evidence, especially on Sheepcote Valley - and Pende.

Shoreham Airport/New Monks Farm

40. Whilst this site does not enjoy AONB status, for the reasons given in paragraphs IRb10.119 - 10.121, the Secretary of State agrees with the Inspector that the feasibility of land acquisition of this site is questionable. He also agrees, for the reasons given in paragraph IRb10.127 - 10.132, that accessibility is serious concern and that a major development at this site would seriously erode the Strategic Gap within which the land lies [IRb10.166].
So that's you f***ed, Perseus.

He still had concerns over the site at Falmer, especially environmental impact, but Prescott 'gave less weight' to the second Inspector's concerns in favour of the the fact that the vast benefits outweighed the smaller detriments.

All of these things are well within Prescott's remit on this matter.

As for the Local Plan Inspector, that report went to Brighton & Hove City Council for them to make a judgement on, and they disagreed with it, which they quite entitled to do. And the Local Plan has now been adopted, which was quite a boost to the case and carried a great deal of weight. It would only have been superceded IF a suitable and available alternative site had been found. And it hadn't.

Now which solicitor worth his dues is going to be able to take on Falmer PC's case in challening the Government solicitors and tell them they have a real chance of success?

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The Large One said:

Now which solicitor worth his dues is going to be able to take on Falmer PC's case in challening the Government solicitors and tell them they have a real chance of success?

An unscrupulous one that sees Melanie Cutress as a desperate old hag willing to spend all of her husband's money in fighting the decision.

Lawyer gets a nice pension fund-Cutress goes tits up:lolol:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The Large One said:
Take the first Inspector's evidence to court, and it will be laughed out within five minutes.

It's worth remembering the comments the second inspector made on the first:

"The previous Inspector appears to have misdirected himself…"

"In addition, the Inspector appears to have placed insufficient weight on another matter…"

"He also omitted to refer to the letter from Sussex Police…"

In the language of planning inspectors and the civil service, that's about as scathing a verdict as you'll see..

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
bhafc99 said:
It's worth remembering the comments the second inspector made on the first:

"The previous Inspector appears to have misdirected himself…"

"In addition, the Inspector appears to have placed insufficient weight on another matter…"

"He also omitted to refer to the letter from Sussex Police…"

In the language of planning inspectors and the civil service, that's about as scathing a verdict as you'll see..

Now your contribution I like:clap:

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
The short verdict on this is: f*** 'em. If they go through with this bollocks they'll lose millions and as I understand it, it won't affect us at all so perhaps we should be ringing dear old Melanie up and offering our (non-fiscal, naturally) support? Just in case she starts to have doubts about the wisdom of her ways?

Falmer NIMBYs - f*** 'em all.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
The Large One said:
Master_SiteArticle1043.gif

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
The Large One said:

hutz.gif

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I can't wait for someone to stand up in court and with a straight face argue that the economic regeneration of deprived areas is not in the National Interest.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
eastlondonseagull said:
If Falmer didn’t exist an alternative would have already been found.
But even better, if Falmer didn't exist, then there wouldn't be so many inbred f***ing oiks and wankpots living there to complain. And it would be an even better place for a stadium as nobody would be living there.

f***ing wankers. If your brain matter was axle grease, there wouldn't be enough in your head to grease the dynamo on a lightening bug's arse. If knowledge was spit, your mouth would be drier than a shallow well in an African heatwave. If you're going to say something that ignorant, you could at least fake a stroke.

There, now isn't that better?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Ladies & Gentlemen, *IF* the NIMBY bastards take this further (i.e. Judicial Review or to the EU Courts) then need I remind you about:

simpson.jpg

BLATANTLY guilty but got away scott-free. Unfortunatkey we are NOT 100% innocent (in this case) as OJ was so there is room for a possible complete U-Turn.
Just warning you like :)

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
But need I remind you Marc that the OJ case was in the US, nothing to do with EU Courts or JR's

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
A lot of noise and sabre rattling.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Everest said:
But need I remind you Marc that the OJ case was in the US, nothing to do with EU Courts or JR's

yeah but the EU are just as bad as the Yanks! I dont believe they have a decent enough case but I am (nevertherless) still going to be cautious....but thats just me all over!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
What happened to Norman Baker's request that the party that lost should just accept the decision?... clearly, he only meant that to be true if the Albion lost... w@nker... :angry: :censored:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Falmer PC aren't related to Baker in any way. To be fair to him and the Lib Dems, I got an email the other day from Councillor Neil Commin who is the planning guy for Lewes DC. He said that he feels Prescott has made the wrong decision, but that he wasn't surprised by it and they are almost certain to accept the ODPM verdict.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here