Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other - please state

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Falmer, cos that's where it is, unless anyone is saying that the University of Brighton and the University of Sussex's campuses and British Rail (and all its subsequent little wizards) have been using the wrong location name for 50 years.

Mind you, I have lapsed into saying 'Amex' now and then.

'Falmex' is pathetic - an American-style portmanteau word like 'infomercial' or 'simulcast'. Bleugh.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I tend to call it the Amex, and I don't generally like the idea of stadium sponsorship so it's weird that it's stuck with me. That said, if the stadium had to be named after a corporate sponsor, I'm glad it's Amex: at least they're a big part of the local area. I see it more like the Leicester/ Walkers link up than, say, the Arsenal/ Emirates one in that respect.

kip

Aug 2, 2011
?
The Amex (stadium) is, I believe, 100% in Brighton, the coach and car parks are in Falmer.
Yes it is 100% in Brighton but it is still called Falmer. The same with Saltdean, half is in Brighton and Half in the Lewes District..
Falmer station is in Brighton as well as Sussex and Brighton universities but they are still part of Falmer.
When the boundaries were set they split the village

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
.it will always be famer to me. What does everybody else like to call the ground falmer or amex?

well done! new name for the stadium

couldn't care less what we call it - i call it Home

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Amex.

I refuse point blank to call it after the name of the village that's full of inbred, knuckle dragging, two headed, bad breathed, lying, tosspot nimbies. I think my forgiveness councilling is coming along in leaps and bounds !

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Amex.

I refuse point blank to call it after the name of the village that's full of inbred, knuckle dragging, two headed, bad breathed, lying, tosspot nimbies. I think my forgiveness councilling is coming along in leaps and bounds !

You're obviously seeing the same person I am.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If I have to refer to it by name rather than just calling it 'the stadium', 'home' or 'the football' then I call it The Amex. I'm sure none of us really like football grounds having corporate names, but like sponsors names on shirts (something else I don't like) it's part and parcel of the modern game. In fact apart from Sunderland's The Stadium of Light I'm struggling to think of any new ground that hasn't got a branded name now that Man City have 'sold out'. And as has been pointed out American Express have been a big employer in the town for many years so it's not like they're a bunch of JCLs.

I'm not sure what'll happen when the Amex deal runs out, but I've always been in favour of re-naming Village Way as Bloom Road. Then, like the Goldstone, we could call the ground after the road it's in: "Brighton play at Bloom Road"

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm not sure what'll happen when the Amex deal runs out, but I've always been in favour of re-naming Village Way as Bloom Road. Then, like the Goldstone, we could call the ground after the road it's in: "Brighton play at Bloom Road"

Seeing as it was until recently a field, why not go the whole hog and call it Bloomfield Road...?

Incidentally, I really don't get this whole 'Falmer reminds me of horrid people etc' stuff - it just doesn't make sense. It actually reminds me of a victory of modern beauty over NIMBYism.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Amex by me
Seagull Stadium by my daughter

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think the name "Amex" has resonated with fans because it's not a brand name that many of us have associations with.

We tend to refer to the company as "American Express" in Brighton and so Amex has a vaguely abstract feel about it.

If it was the Barclaycard Stadium, the Virgin Money Arena or Lloyds TSB Bowl, we'd probably think differently.

That's exactly right. In the same way I think Ricoh works for Coventry because you just look at it as a name rather than a company.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Seeing as it was until recently a field, why not go the whole hog and call it Bloomfield Road...?

Incidentally, I really don't get this whole 'Falmer reminds me of horrid people etc' stuff - it just doesn't make sense. It actually reminds me of a victory of modern beauty over NIMBYism.
'Cos that's Blackpool's ground ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here