Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer Opening Ceremony ... What Do You Reckon?

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
I don't know about the opening game at Falmer, but I've already put the pressure on to give us an hour for the music at the last game at Withdean, and I've already got a pretty much yes (cos it won't matter a smeg afterwards what they say) Motorhead's Ace of Spades aimed at Catt's house is a nice idea, except that the Withdean speakers will make it sound like Morrissey, so we will need some BACKUP........

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Sussex By The Sea sends a shiver down my spine and I don't think the tune can be improved. But (heresy here) I do think it could do with an arrangement that would make it more monumental.

Could the powers that be commission someone like Carl Jenkins (I know he's Welsh) to create an orchestrated, more epic arrangement of Sussex By The Sea that would be somehow bigger and more commanding as well as retaining the essential feel and tune. There are clever people out there who do this stuff and this stirring version of SBTS would then be used for years to come.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Sussex By The Sea sends a shiver down my spine and I don't think the tune can be improved. But (heresy here) I do think it could do with an arrangement that would make it more monumental.

Could the powers that be commission someone like Carl Jenkins (I know he's Welsh) to create an orchestrated, more epic arrangement of Sussex By The Sea that would be somehow bigger and more commanding as well as retaining the essential feel and tune. There are clever people out there who do this stuff and this stirring version of SBTS would then be used for years to come.

There is that version out there isn't there? I seem to remember the version played at the Millenium Stadiu was pretty epic. I hope we carry on using the tinny Withdean version because:
a) it's charming
b) it makes it quite clear we're not trying to turn footballers walking onto the pitch into some sort of monumental gladiatorial entrance
c) it will be funny hearing a modern stadium with decent PA having a badly recorded brass band ringing round it!

Oct 25, 2003
i'd quite like a kind of "funeral" at the last withdean game.......it'd be a bit like going to a funeral of your brother.......who was also a child rapist......so, you're like, sad he's dead and that, but also a little bit glad

anyway, just, like have everyone on the pitch, chilling out listening to attila's beats and that, kissing inigo calderon, that kind of thing, to remember the good times at withers (there HAVE been some), but also to celebrate the fact that we're getting the f*** out of there

CARNIVAL ATMOSPHERE

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
i'd quite like a kind of "funeral" at the last withdean game.......it'd be a bit like going to a funeral of your brother.......who was also a child rapist......so, you're like, sad he's dead and that, but also a little bit glad

anyway, just, like have everyone on the pitch, chilling out listening to attila's beats and that, kissing inigo calderon, that kind of thing, to remember the good times at withers (there HAVE been some), but also to celebrate the fact that we're getting the f*** out of there

CARNIVAL ATMOSPHERE

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

I think we should do something like Beyern Muncih did last night, that was well good

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I think it should be an understated dignified affair.

The lone bugler, who played "the Last Post" at the Goldstone, should be invited to play "Sussex By The Sea." And then Peter Ward and Bobby Zamora could walk onto the pitch and beat to death an eagle tethered to a post in the centre circle.

:falmer:

Sorry, but no one can argue with this idea - it's got everything, it reaches out to the past, its poignant yet looks to the future. As Shakin Stevens once said of Alan Partridges 'Bouncing Back' book, "lovely stuff".

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I'd like to see the 1983 FA Cup Final team circling around in the stadium in a B Cal chopper, and then land on the centre circle.

Might cause a stir

:thumbsup:

What he said! :falmer:

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
Leaving Withdean will be like the collapse of the Berlin Wall.

We'll all be overjoyed that it's over, but soon enough we'll be getting nostalgic and the stories will start to be exaggerated. Then we'll be collecting old relics, suddenly it'll be a full blown tourist attraction with guided tours and calls of a return to the old days!

And I've heard that David Hasselhoff will be doing a song on top of the North Stand roof too.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
The very fact that we can have an almost-serious discussion on this subject, and can look forward to it with confidence - is quite frankly amazing!! :falmer::clap2::falmer::clap2::falmer:

Fatboy Stenno

Feb 26, 2007
Haywards Heath
Is the Haywards Heath Town band still in existence?

The Haywards Heath Town Band merged with Burgess Hill Brass Band some years ago to form Mid Sussex Brass Band, which is is still very much in existence (this I know, as I sometimes help them out on drums).

I will speak to my contacts there and if they're up for it, I'll make a suggestion to the club. Leave it with me.

(for those who didn't know, it was Haywards Heath Town Band which used to perform at the Goldstone donkeys years ago)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Is the Haywards Heath Town band still in existence?

And can we throw coins from the top of the stand into the blanket being carried round beside them or will the Health and Safety people have a fit?

My old man and I played for Seaford Silver Band at the Goldstone many years ago -biggest audience we ever performed in front of....think I'll have to dust off the old cornet and see if I can still blow GOSBTS on it - unfortunately he has long since gone to the great euphonium players' graveyard in the sky :thumbsup:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
... Keig-Chevlin ...

Good idea. Will Maggie Philbin be the goalkeeper?

marmot.jpg

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I want a brass band rendition of this:-

[yt]jPoW_pTgPNI[/yt]

and 22,000 people singing our words.

I'm sure there will be a few unaccompanied renditions on the day.

Maybe even with another verse with De Vagi on the top and Mel Cuttress in the middle.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.

But in musical terms, it is a march, i.e. a piece of music that you march to.

It wil lose all connection with it's original Composers intentions, which was to be played by a Military, or Brass band.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here