Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer - ODPM asks interested parties to comment on Inspectors report

Lush

Mods' Pet
From Official Site:

Prescott Consults On Local Report

The Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (ODPM) has written to the Albion to advise the club that it is seeking comments from all interested parties on the report by the Local Plan Inspector concerning the allocation of the site at Falmer for a new Community Stadium.

The club has submitted to the ODPM a detailed analysis pointing out the serious flaws in the report. As a result of this and the huge public outcry, the ODPM has decided that it needs to consult with all interested parties before coming to a decision on the Club's planning application.

Albion Chairman Dick Knight said, “This demonstrates that the campaign mounted by the fans is having a significant effect. Clearly the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister has taken into account the thousands of messages in support of Falmer and the outrage that the flawed report by Inspector Hoile has caused.
“Not only has the Deputy Prime Minister had letters from the City Council, local MPs and councillors, but an enormous number of messages have also been sent to him from all over the country, including from 90 of the 92 Premier & Football League clubs, clearly demonstrating that this is a huge issue of national concern.

“I call on all fans to keep up the pressure - John Prescott is now beginning to understand just how important an issue this is. Falmer is the only viable site for a new stadium and has overwhelming public support. He should not penalise Brighton & Hove because of its geographical constraints, and he must realise the scale of the injustice if he gets this decision wrong."

Albion Chief Executive Martin Perry said, “This level of support we have received from all over the country has been astonishing and a source of real encouragement to all the team who have worked so hard on this project.
“We must continue to get our message across to John Prescott that there is no other site - Withdean and Sheepcote Valley are complete non-starters - and that the use of the land is justified because of the huge economic and social benefit that arises from the development."

Interested parties have until Friday 9thApril to submit their responses. The ODPM will then consider these before submitting a final report to the Deputy Prime Minister for his final decision.

WHAT CAN WE READ INTO THIS???

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
There certainly won't be any decision before 9th April.

And which was the team that did not support us (90 out of 92 us being the 92nd obviously)

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
I think that this is good news. I think that it implies that the ODPM has doubts about the report submitted by the inspector. The shortcomings in Hoile's report, and the strength of feeling and importance of this project has been made very clear to the ODPM by the club, the council and the fans and other interested parties. I'm sure that there have also been some representations by anti-falmer people also, but IMHO this development makes all the campaigning worthwhile.

I also think that it will delay the decision until after the season, given that the ODPM will probably take a few weeks to go through everything before submitting their final report.

Oh my god I can't stand the tension.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
gazwag said:
There certainly won't be any decision before 9th April.

And which was the team that did not support us (90 out of 92 us being the 92nd obviously)

I don't really care - it's not particularly important to me or to the campaign.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Deano's Right Foot said:
I think that this is good news. I think that it implies that the ODPM has doubts about the report submitted by the inspector.

I agree, that was my first impression.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
gazwag said:

I'm not 100% on this, but I seem to remember that Palace, Southend, Newcastle, Man City & Tranmere didn't send flowers to Whitehall. Maybe Paul C can confirm?

Buckingham

Feb 23, 2004
Brighton
I reckon it's a good sign. The public outcry at the planning inspectors report has obviously filtered its way through to the ODPM's attention. I do genuinely think that the longer this goes on, the more chance we have, if he was going to say no after receiving that report I reckon he would have done so quickly. Doesn't exactly help our nerves though.

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
I agree it is postive but the fact we are moving closer to a decision now can't help the nerves. My birthday is in April I just hope I will get the best present ever when John say YES!!!

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
One things for sure all our campaiging has helped, i think that they wasn't sure how to go with the desision, They were about 50/50 and wanted to see the reaction, if there havent have been the amount of protest for the ground then what there is now then dp would be looking at a no, but i think it NFD and all the support from the other clubs is swinging the answer to a yes, keep the faith! We will get falmer!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I expected this to happen. For no other reason than Prescott's office did the same thing over the Arsenal CPO Public Inquiry putting that enquiry back a further six months.

It looks like January 2005 now for the result :rolleyes:

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
If ever there was an example of the fans being as an important part of the club as the players, this was it. The clubs' stars get all the credit when they score brilliant goals and win great matches but this is a perfect moment when we can look at ourselves as supporters and realise just how big a part of this club we are. This has nothing to do with what the 11 players do on the pitch. This is where thousands of unsung heroes have come together and taken over the biggest match in our history and even though we may have lost the 1st half we are certainly fighting back in the 2nd.
If we win this then every one of us who has backed the new stadium in any way should do a huge lap of honour, all draped in our blue and white, around the Falmer site, holding Dick Knight and Martin Perry aloft on our shoulders. This could be the fans' cup final. Ok, it might sound like a stupid idea but what a great photo it would make, and we could send one to every club that supported us so they can put it in their programmes to say thanks for their efforts.
I know we're not there yet but the fact that Prescotts' department are going to such lengths over this application is a significant moment in the decision. Could the tide be turning? If it is then that is down to one of the most important parts of this club........US!!!

:bounce: :flameboun :bounce: :flameboun

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The tension is unbearable but it must be good news - why bother if the Government don't want it they would say that now.

Credit for keeping the interest alive and let's all remain positive.

FALMER WILL HAPPEN

Trish

Jul 5, 2003
Its going to be tough waiting another few weeks (months?) for a decision, but I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.
:clap:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
i'm taking it as a good thing. prescott is showing that he is listening to the people.

My birthdays the 14th April - i reckon hes waiting to give me a massive birthday present!

Last edited:

WASH

Jul 6, 2003
Rustington
I feel torn between deciding wether this is good news or another Government smoke screen. ie delay the decision until after the season when we can't do much about a no decision. Of course I hope I'm wrong, and that he's doing the decent thing and has really taken into account all the public feeling re this issue.

Yet again we wait with baited breath..........

Still time for more lobbying though !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here