Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Falmer' not 'Amex'...please!

Judging by the tone of your post, have you considered Pyongyang as your next holiday destination? Think you might enjoy their view on 'democracy'. Anyway, enjoy the stadium! Over and out.

Jesus Christ! Lighten up! The tone of my post??? Communication is made up of 7% words, 38% TONE of voice, and 55% body language. How do you know by the 7% you can see what the "tone of my post" was? Get a grip will ya?

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
I realise that this thread has been posted before but, seeing as this is the day, I thought it apt to raise the issue again.

Having been in the audience of Thursday evening's hugely enjoyable 'Brighton til I Die' at the Theatre Royal, the significance of the actual word 'Falmer' came through clearer than ever.

I really hope that we as fans refer to our maginificent new stadium as 'Falmer' and not the 'Amex'. As has been posted before, where was this credit card giant when we were in our darkest hours?

Please let's avoid avoid the trap Arsenal fans have fallen into and not give a multi-national company (which, lest us forget, makes much of its profit from interest charges incurred by ordinary hardworking folk) additional advertising by word of mouth.

Can't wait to visit FALMER at 3pm today! FALMER forever!

You need to get your facts right before accusing Amex. Yes they deal in credit cards , but their primary product has always been the charge card. It's a card for people who control their limit of spend . If they default they are not charged a massive percentage of interest like credit cards do ,they charge a flat £12.60 regardless of how much is owed .It's also a great place to work and the only reason Amex have sponsored the stadium is because the Albion tick all the boxes as far as work in the community is involved . Amex would never in a million years sponsor football ,unless there was a sound community based programme behind it .

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I realise that this thread has been posted before but, seeing as this is the day, I thought it apt to raise the issue again.

Having been in the audience of Thursday evening's hugely enjoyable 'Brighton til I Die' at the Theatre Royal, the significance of the actual word 'Falmer' came through clearer than ever.

I really hope that we as fans refer to our maginificent new stadium as 'Falmer' and not the 'Amex'. As has been posted before, where was this credit card giant when we were in our darkest hours?

Please let's avoid avoid the trap Arsenal fans have fallen into and not give a multi-national company (which, lest us forget, makes much of its profit from interest charges incurred by ordinary hardworking folk) additional advertising by word of mouth.

Can't wait to visit FALMER at 3pm today! FALMER forever!

It seems I'm in a minority but I completely agree.

Irrespective of the company's ethics or otherwise I just don't see why we should be bending over quite so readily for the big corporate sponsor, who as you quite rightly point out never gave a shiny shit about us when we didn't have a pot to piss in.

Take their money yes. Let them stick their logo all over the place, fine. But I'm not going to start referring to the stadium by their name. It was always the Falmer stadium to me anyway. That name has existed in my imagination for years and now it is finally there in solid steel I can at last enjoy it. And no sponsor is getting in the way.

They've had more than enough publicity out of this and of course whenever we get mentioned on TV or the radio the big blue box will be credited so frankly I see no need to advertise them myself. After all they're not paying me.

I'll see you at FALMER then

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I'm in transition calling it Falmer and Amex. To be honest of all the names we could of had The Amex is catchy and actually sounds decent.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think just a couple of months ago there were a LOT of people who swore they'd never call it the Amex, but clearly people have gotten used to it.

By the way, isn't it technically AmEx?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Because I work at Amex ,I've actually found myself referring to it as the stadium.

Because I work at Amex ,I've actually found myself referring to it as the stadium.

Me too. I call it the Amex but I work at Amex House and will spend most saturdays at The Amex. It can be very confusing!

Personally, the name of the stadium is irrelevant to me but calling it the Amex tells me how far we've come as a club. Attracting a company that has a presence in over 30 countries is a massive thing for the club.

I always think about what Brighton the city would be without the 3-4,000 jobs the company provides.

Basically, you call it what you want, I'll call it what I want. Its not like people won't know what we're talking about!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Surely this is about as specious as arguments get? It's equally "The Albion" or "Falmer" or "The Amex" depending which, with neither thought nor effort, trips off your tongue. I am perfectly capable of using all three in a single conversation as, I suspect, are most of us. And most importantly it matters not a jot. :)

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Sky Sports News called it Falmer yesterday. I'm not going up against the Dark Lord Murdock so Falmer it is.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The club seem quite happy to eradicate 'Falmer' from the official address. Who are we to argue? :shrug:

American Express Community Stadium
Village Way
Brighton, BN1 9BL

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Based on this thread,
there are the traditionalists, who call it Falmer as that's been the stadium's name in our minds for a decade
there are the 'go with the flow'ers who usually call it Amex as that's what the club has been calling it and they don't have a problem with the sponsorship
and then there are the modernists - a handful who seem to be very assertive that it's now the Amex - brave new dawn, etc.

My question for the modernists is: how will you feel when American Express stop their sponsorship? Will you be just as assertive that it's wrong to call it Falmer and simply change overnight to whatever the new sponsor is called?

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
American Express have paid a tidy sum to name the stadium, end of story.
On a day to day off the cuff I will also refer to The Albion,The Amex or Falmer, Whatever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The Amex formerly known as Falmer.

Prince to headline the first concert.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here