Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Falmer' not 'Amex'...please!

Varndean VI Form College

Jul 29, 2011
Hove
I realise that this thread has been posted before but, seeing as this is the day, I thought it apt to raise the issue again.

Having been in the audience of Thursday evening's hugely enjoyable 'Brighton til I Die' at the Theatre Royal, the significance of the actual word 'Falmer' came through clearer than ever.

I really hope that we as fans refer to our maginificent new stadium as 'Falmer' and not the 'Amex'. As has been posted before, where was this credit card giant when we were in our darkest hours?

Please let's avoid avoid the trap Arsenal fans have fallen into and not give a multi-national company (which, lest us forget, makes much of its profit from interest charges incurred by ordinary hardworking folk) additional advertising by word of mouth.

Can't wait to visit FALMER at 3pm today! FALMER forever!

Last edited:

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Aren't most of their cards charge cards and therefore aren't rolling credit and don't generate interest at all?

Amex sounds snappy, I like the sound of it and generally refer to the stadium as the Amex. It's just a word and it means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I realise that this thread has been posted before but, seeing as this is the day, I thought it apt to raise the issue again.

Having been in the audience of Thursday evening's hugely enjoyable 'Brighton til I Die' at the Theatre Royal, the significance of the actual word 'Falmer' came through clearer than ever.

I really hope that we as fans refer to our maginificent new stadium as 'Falmer' and not the 'Amex'. As has been posted before, where was this credit card giant when we were in our darkest hours?

Please let's avoid avoid the trap Arsenal fans have fallen into and not give a multi-national company (which, lest us forget, makes much of its profit from interest charges incurred by ordinary hardworking folk) additional advertising by word of mouth.

Don't forget that American Express is the largest employer in Brighton. If there was no Amex, a few thousand people would be out of a job.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Let's be honest, we want it to be Falmer ,but truth is we have received a decent funding from Amex, so if they are willing to bank roll us I am more than willing to reciprocate the deal by calling it the Amex!

macky

Dec 28, 2004
wish we could go back to the days of the goldstone it wouldn't have sounded right saying hove nor would it caling it the corals or the anything else it was the goldstone good old days

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
The Amex[MENTION=17759]Falmer[/MENTION]:bigwave:

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven

So we are happy to accept the money that Amex ploughed into us to name the stadium but we are not willing to call it the
the Amex because American Express didn't want to support a local business that was being mismanaged.

If having to call it the Amex is the difference between us looking at teams above us next season rather than
worrying about teams below us then surely that's a no brainer

macky

Dec 28, 2004
thing is will we all call it barclays in two or thre years time or the durex

macky

Dec 28, 2004
its lovely and yes it ours so yeah who gives a f*** what name it has

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
If it's good enough for teams in champs league (arsenal,man city)then surely it's not an issue for gosbs.

How many teams in the country are in a position to turn down naming rights to their stadium.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010

Totally disagree. It's The AMEX from now on for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here