Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer & Lewes DC combining to get legal advice re Falmer

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Did we really expect anything different?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Extract:

Brighton and Hove Albion chairman Dick Knight has appealed to Falmer residents to work with the club to ensure the stadium does not have an adverse impact on their lives rather than pursue judicial proceedings.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Quote from The Argus.........

Brighton and Hove Albion chairman Dick Knight has appealed to Falmer residents to work with the club to ensure the stadium does not have an adverse impact on their lives rather than pursue judicial proceedings.

.......especially if the residents have to put the cash up front for any appeal.

Stumpy Tim

This is why Prescott put us through the extra few months. They haven't got a leg to stand on. They'll need a lot of money (which they'll lose), and I doubt they have it.

Having said, if they do have it I'm sure their lawyers will tell them they do have a chance. Quids in for them

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Formerly Known as DEZ said:
you lost - get over it!

They will do everything they can to delay the stadium-even if it's only one day.

If I was a council tax payer in the Lewes DC area I'd be outraged...it's time they spent their money on flood defences rather than wasting money to appease 200 vindictive villagers.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
2 Things on this

1) I cannot see this getting to judicial review as it was not unlawfully reached.

2) I thought Lewes DC said that they would accept the outcome, whatever it was, why the change of heart. Was all this lets forgive and forget stuff just put forward when they thought they would win ?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Norman - I will respect Mr Prescott's decision - Baker

Carries a lot of weight don't it?

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Perhaps a letter to the Argus explaining that a review would cost in excess of £2M, and this would be found from council taxes, which are already planned to rise by 10% or so next year might stop their stupidity?

Oh feck it - just typed it and sent it anyway.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"A spokesperson for the district council said cabinet members are planning to discuss the issue when they next meet at the Downs Leisure Centre in Seaford on November 24. "

Will this be a cabinet members meeting only I wonder ? The fact that its being held at a leisure centre suggests it might be a meeting open to the public perhaps ? If so, we need someone to INFILTRATE it , see where they're going with this, and report back with their findings....

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I dont have the figures, but I am sure that Judicial Reviews should they even be attempted are very rarely successful.

I think they are clutching at straws and without having read through the whole decision, I would assume the length of time spent over the application would mean that there are no problems.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Easy 10 said:
"A spokesperson for the district council said cabinet members are planning to discuss the issue when they next meet at the Downs Leisure Centre in Seaford on November 24. "

Will this be a cabinet members meeting only I wonder ? The fact that its being held at a leisure centre suggests it might be a meeting open to the public perhaps ? If so, we need someone to INFILTRATE it , see where they're going with this, and report back with their findings....

It should be people that pay their council tax in that area that should attend to complain at the waste of money. A few dozen pensioners who will threaten to withhold money for this frivolous review would go down nicely as well.

More concerning is that this opposition is from a very small but noisy minority - exactly how much pressure and power does this group wield around these two councils?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Villagers to decide on legal challenge

Opponents of plans for the new Brighton and Hove Albion stadium at Falmer are taking legal advice on whether they should challenge John Prescott's Yes
verdict in the High Court.

Falmer Parish Council and Lewes District Council have until December 8 to seek leave for a judicial review against the Deputy Prime Minister's decision to grant the £50 million arena.

Villagers in Falmer said yesterday they were waiting to schedule a meeting with their solicitor, Charlie Hopkins, and Lewes District Council's
barrister, Rob White.

A spokesperson for the district council said cabinet members are planning to discuss the issue when they next meet at the Downs Leisure Centre in
Seaford on November 24.

She added: "Members are waiting on advice from
officers before deciding what course of action to take, if any." Both sides have been poring over the Secretary of State's lengthy report into the stadium following two public inquiries.

A judicial review will only be allowed if they can persuade the High Court there is evidence showing Mr Prescott's decision was arrived at unlawfully.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
The only decision LDC and Baker were going to "respect" was a no. Like all politicians they're now furiosly backtracking and trying to do the opposite.

Early indications were that LDC were not going to try for a judicial review but God knows what they will actually do. There are enough avid Albion haters on the council for them to try and force through an attempt to challenge the government. There's nothing easier than wasting taxpayers money on a personal crusade.

I think it's pretty much nailed on that the Falmer lot will try and apply for a review. Applying for one isn't very difficult, just fill out a form and pay a couple of hundred quid I believe, and it will waste yet more time. The tactic that Falmer Village and LDC have been using for the past couple of years is to try and use any opportunity to waste time so as to heap more financial pressure on the club, eventually forcing us to give up or go bankrupt. The game is different now, because they're going up against the Government probably trying to use their killer argument of "it's not fair"!

That Charlie Hopkins bloke has been involved with several anti-football NIMBY groups (and lost every time) and he's always tried to get a JR when things have gone against him. He even tried to get his Islington mob (anti-Arsenal campaign groups) to take their case to Europe!

SWEAT tried to use the JR trick to force us to abandon Withdean or go out of business. They applied for one knowing full well that they couldn't afford even a preliminary hearing, let alone the real deal, yet they wasted enough time for us to lose any chance of moving to Withdean for the 98/99 season. These snakes will probably try and pull a similar stunt.

Brighton1

Jun 10, 2004
Newhaven
Has anyone got Norman Bakers E-Mail address? I want to tell him to stop wasting my council tax fighting something that the majority of his constituents want and as he is supposed to be ensuring democracy prevails, so what the F*ck is he doing!!!!:angry: :albion:

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Personally it does not worry me in the slightest. They won't seek a judicial review !!! They really are now just clutching at straws more in hope than anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here