Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer - Has This Been Considered?

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
Many moons ago, whilst we were embroiled in the 1st Public Enquiry, I raised the opportunity of making the new stadium truly unique in this country with the Club. Heated stands.

During the early '90's I managed to catch a PSV Eindhoven game when I was living out there. My host kept banging on about heated seats and all I could think of was the one's used by the squad in American Football...a kind of heated comfy bench.

The match was on a Saturday evening in late November, it was very windy and the rain was horizontal it was so strong. However, after taking my seat high up behind one of the goals I soon found myself peeling off the top of the many layers I'd put on to brave the weather (undressing in public is something I don't regularly do I might add!). It was not long after that I realised there were about 3 industrial sized 3-bar electric heaters suspended from the roof and facing inwards to the seats!!

I then watched a truly great PSV side (with half of the Dutch team in it) demolish some mediocre team 4-1, on a stormy November evening, in real comfort & warmth.

Considering the Gory Years with all that entailed, the drudgery of Gillingham and then the Wet Windblasted Withdean era, and the tremendous work invested by all the Albion Supporters over the years.....is this something that cannot be provided at Falmer? As a "thank you" to the supporters and a statement that we truly have a stadium to make even Premier League clubs envious?

The stadium will arguably have one of the biggest roofs in Sussex. With the advances of solar technology, providing the power to use the heaters for a couple of hours every other week between say November and March, is surely viable now?

Going back to raising this with the Club many years ago, though I received a polite response, it was non-committal and I have not seen / heard anything since. :glare:

Perhaps they thought I was a nutter or that it would be cost prohibitive etc etc?

Does anyone know whether this was ever raised or heard it mentioned?

I reckon the supporters deserve it after all these years of loyalty, high ticket prices and poor conditions. After all PSV had this almost 20 years ago!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The only time I have ever experienced heated stands was also in the Netherlands, at Roda Kerkrade, I don't reckon it would be considered very green to do so over here and would probably cost a packet in electricity.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'd refuse to go if they did that, what a waste of energy.Burnley had heated seats in the 50s by the way.

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
Grandad?!?!?:lol:

Don't get me wrong, sitting under a roof will be blinding. But it's not every day that we get a new stadium and this sort of thing could be better considered now rather than once it's completed and the cost to accommodate anything like that could be much higher.

I thought of the green angle, hence the solar technology. It could also be used to provide other power requirements at the stadium or excess sold back to the national grid.

In the meantime, I'll carry on dreaming of my first pre-match pint at Falmer, in the concourse, whilst watching something on one of the many flat-screen TV's dotted around.:clap::falmer::drink:

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
f*** sake
Burnley were the first in the 60's
Stamford Bridge(amongst others) apparently is like watching football in a greenhouse
Why waste energy and heat up the air.wear a coat you wimp.or try a bit of energetic cheering

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I'm never cold watching BHA play at home. The South Coast climate is mild. Good performances are warming but so are bad referees and poor manager tactics.

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
f*** sake
Burnley were the first in the 60's
Stamford Bridge(amongst others) apparently is like watching football in a greenhouse
Why waste energy and heat up the air.wear a coat you wimp.or try a bit of energetic cheering

Yeah, nice one "Raymond".

Just asking a question and you decide to dish out abuse.

Think again about spurting out crap pal. You don't know me from Adam, yet I'm a "wimp" and, according to your superior intellect and amazing powers of observation, I don't cheer energetically!

Christ, some people. Enjoy what's left of your weekend mate eh? :shootself

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I want to be carried to my seat (no mean feat) and to pre-order my interval drinks.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
They have heating lights dangling from the roof over the most expensive seats at the Estadio Zorilla, home of the mighty Real Valladolid, as well. Perishing cold stadium, known throughout Spain for being so, and they're surprisingly effective.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I've also only seen this in Holland at Den Haag I reckon the fact it has never been done here before points to health and safety more than anything.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I seem to remember that my seat (at Glyndebourne) was air-conditioned. Perhaps the club could consider this for the summer months and then revert to heated seats during the winter months.

I would like my seat to be carved from the wood Grandidier's Baobab, found in Madgascar, with a personalised inscription of good wishes from the current Chairman and manager.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
No way I'm going unless the seats are like this:

mm_3.jpg

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
No way I'm going unless the seats are like this:

mm_3.jpg

No Cyril Fletcher's chair from That's Life will suffice, thank you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here