Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer - good news

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
According to Southern FM the Uni got planning permission last night to relocate buildings which need to be moved to make way for the stadium.

Falmer here we come!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
At the last game I heard from someone who knows someone who knows etc. that Derek Chapman (guy from Adenstar and Albion director) entertained Prescott in Brighton just before Christmas and Prescott told him off the record he has nothing to worry about re Falmer.

Don't tell Norman Baker anyone on our side has been talking to Prezza though.
:lolol:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
So that's already in progress, no delay - great. :clap2:

i doubt prescott has been talking to anyone connected with falmer. norman baker has been causing trouble, as we all know. trying to find out if any contact (formal or otherwise) has been amde between the club and the odpm. the official answer no.

my boss had to sign a sort of statement to say that he has had no contact with brighton over this issue. he won't even talk to me about it informally, literally ran away once i mentioned the name falmer!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Kent Seagull said:
According to Southern FM the Uni got planning permission last night to relocate buildings which need to be moved to make way for the stadium.

So now do they have to get their new buildings built before knocking down existing eyesores to enable The Albion to begin the beautification process of Falmer?

Or can we send in the rental vans to help 'em with their move to temporary accommodation so the bulldozers can move in a.s.a.p.?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Re: Re: Falmer - good news

Bwian said:
So now do they have to get their new buildings built before knocking down existing eyesores to enable The Albion to begin the beautification process of Falmer?

Or can we send in the rental vans to help 'em with their move to temporary accommodation so the bulldozers can move in a.s.a.p.?

The new buildings would take about 6-7 months to build. However, these buildings would NOT be built if the stadium does not get the go ahead. The fact that they have got permission does not really change anything, apart from smoothing the stadium construction IF Prescott says yes.

The bloody Tories brought something called in Compulsory Competitive Tendering (CCT) in the mid 80s. It means that every public project must go out to tender, and depending on the size of it, this determines how long that tendering process takes. I think in this case it is about 6 months. We cannot put work out to tender yet because the stadium has not yet been approved for building. You cannot tender for a job which, technically, does not yet exist.

Then, with price agreed and contracts signed, we can start building the stadium. If my knowledge of building trade legislation is correct (it's been a while), we should be able to start construction in the late summer this year.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Out of interest, I had a sniff round some websites the other night to see how long it took to build Pride Park, which holds just over 30,000. They started building the stadium in November 1996, and Derby County kicked off in it in August 1997. Can't remember the site now (found it via an MSN search), but it had "work in progress" pictures, updating every couple of months. It really doesn't take very long at all to build a stadium. Going by that, It's not unreasonable to assume that Falmer would be completed and ready within a year of the first brick being laid, once the site has been levelled.

The Large One said:
The bloody Tories brought something called in Compulsory Competitive Tendering (CCT) in the mid 80s.

CCT was comprehensively replaced by Best Value on 1st April 2000. (it gives much greater power and flexibility - can look not just at cost alone, as with CCT, but quality, service, after-sales care, etc, in short, value for money)

Timescales can vary with regard to the length of the tender process, but it is reasonable to say that a typical tender will leave 6 weeks to respond to the advertisement of the contract, and then a further 6 weeks will be taken to assess the contract.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Easy 10 said:
Out of interest, I had a sniff round some websites the other night to see how long it took to build Pride Park, which holds just over 30,000. They started building the stadium in November 1996, and Derby County kicked off in it in August 1997. Can't remember the site now (found it via an MSN search), but it had "work in progress" pictures, updating every couple of months. It really doesn't take very long at all to build a stadium. Going by that, It's not unreasonable to assume that Falmer would be completed and ready within a year of the first brick being laid, once the site has been levelled.

Yes, but there are also side projects. Road improvements, station upgrades, excavation of the site itself (they are having to dig a fair way down, a bridge across the A27 etc. etc.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Life After Bobby said:
CCT was comprehensively replaced by Best Value on 1st April 2000. (it gives much greater power and flexibility - can look not just at cost alone, as with CCT, but quality, service, after-sales care, etc, in short, value for money)

Timescales can vary with regard to the length of the tender process, but it is reasonable to say that a typical tender will leave 6 weeks to respond to the advertisement of the contract, and then a further 6 weeks will be taken to assess the contract.

Oops. Well, it was 1996 that I left publishing in the building trade.:jester:

Thanks for putting us straight, LAB.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Large One said:
Yes, but there are also side projects. Road improvements, station upgrades, excavation of the site itself (they are having to dig a fair way down, a bridge across the A27 etc. etc.
True. Still quite encouraging though.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
IF (and that's a big IF) we get permission to build Falmer soon then I'll take money off anyone that it takes more the path of Oxford United's stadium rather than 'up over night' Derby County's! One thing following this club's taught me but I still can't list it as a virtue is 'patience'. Wait for the saga concerning funding, sacking the construction company etc etc. We ain't seen nothing yet! But it'll happen one day! And when it does I'm going to scream like I've just been released from 10 years in Prison!!

SEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGUUUUUULLLLLSSS!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The thing is the Uni didn't have to put in for planning permission before the decision from JP is heard.

The fact that they have done is good news.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
portlock seagull said:
IF (and that's a big IF) we get permission to build Falmer soon then I'll take money off anyone that it takes more the path of Oxford United's stadium rather than 'up over night' Derby County's! One thing following this club's taught me but I still can't list it as a virtue is 'patience'. Wait for the saga concerning funding, sacking the construction company etc etc. We ain't seen nothing yet! But it'll happen one day! And when it does I'm going to scream like I've just been released from 10 years in Prison!!

SEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGUUUUUULLLLLSSS!

Little ray of sunshine, aren't you?

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Originally posted by The Large One

Then, with price agreed and contracts signed, we can start building the stadium. If my knowledge of building trade legislation is correct (it's been a while), we should be able to start construction in the late summer this year.

Originally posted by Life After Bobby

So, in plain English (for those of us who don't speak publishing), when is a realistic time to expect the first brick to be laid, assuming we get a yes from Prescott?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Sorry large one, just applying sods law

Scheduling the work for the whole project (new roads, new university buildings and new stadium) is a hellishly complex project. Most of the timetable forms part of the agreement between the Club and the University of Brighton. The fact that the University has got planning permission now is not only excellent news - but it's also a tribute to the work that the Club put in last year, when they signed the agreement with the University.

Don't forget - a substantial part of the costs of the University buildings will be paid for by the Football Club.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
DTES said:
So, in plain English (for those of us who don't speak publishing), when is a realistic time to expect the first brick to be laid, assuming we get a yes from Prescott?

If you're asking specific about 'bricks to be laid', not sure. No one has the details of HOW the project is undertaken. i.e. the site excavation, whether the road improvements need doing first, the bridge built. Depends on the nature of the project management.

If you're asking, when can work start, I would be optimistic about a summer start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here