Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer from Argus today

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
London Irish said:
None of this is new - we've discussed this on NSC many times. When the February inquiry date was set, it was clear there would be no decision by the General Election, the objectors would prolong the inquiry because the simple fact is that the mechanics of the democratic process at a planning inquiry allow them to easily do to so. Big surprise, then, that they took that option!

Despite this, I see no grounds for pessimism, the new guy in charge of the ministry once Prescott leaves will be brought up to speed pretty quickly by Prescott's special ministerial advisers who will be staying with the department. A quick decision will therefore follow after the General Election.

It's up to you if you want to punish Labour - but they are the only one of the main parties who have remained true to the Albion cause, so any Albion fan punishing them would be engaging in act of extraordinary stupidity in doing so.

The Liberal Democrats gave us Belotti and, even more importantly than that, are the main people now trying to destroy us through their leadership of Lewes DC, it's they who form the serious opposition to us at the inquiry.

The Tories never lifted a finger to help us save the Goldstone when they were in power in Hove and their hatred of football fans never changes to this day. Their councillors in Brighton Pavillion led the fight to stop us getting a temporary home in Withdean, and those same councillors in the Withdean and Patcham wards are now blocking our plans to get the extra 2,000 seats. The only reason why the Pavillion Tories want Falmer is to get rid of us from their backyard because they hate us being in Withdean. The Tories in the other Brighton seat, Kemptown, have just dumped their candidate because he was pro-stadium!

The Greens have been uniformly hostile to us and have stupidly tried to defend this patch of farmland at Falmer even though it might put at risk of development a real site of environmental importance at Sheepcote.

Not voting for Labour, whose record on supporting us at Withdean and over Falmer is perfect, will only reward all these other anti-Albion twats in the Lib Dem, Tories and Green parties.

That's your choice if you want to :shootself

This is the point I was trying to make earlier - although clearly I failed to make it clear. One point in this though, LI. The Tory councillors in Westdene (Ann Norman, Ken Norman, Pat Drake) are Albion fans, they want Falmer, and as far as I am aware, are not opposing the Albion's application for extra seats at Withdean. However, you can guess why they are keeping quiet...

Some people have a complete mistrust of Labour - fair enough. I know (as a 'leftie') there are certain elements in the Labour party locally who I really want to give a good kicking to. However, one should also know that you can completely trust the Tories and Lib Dems - to destroy Brighton & Hove Albion.

If people REALLY believe that this is a politicial decision (and that letter in July from Prescott ordering a re-opening of the public inquiry has convinced me that it is NOT), then Prescott will say YES because, more far important than the three MPs in Brighton & Hove is Labour ensuring that it keeps control of the City Council. And there are many reasons for this.

But, and this can't be made plainer - there will be no decision before the general election (assuming it is on May 5). And that is Lewes DC and Falmer PC's fault - NOT the government's.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
pevenseagull said:
South Downs - they seem a benign bunch

The everyday working people in conservation organisations are generally, a genuinely lovely bunch. Unfortunately as with all QUANGOS those in the decision making positions tend to be priveledged, indulged, plutocrats. Simply delighted by their stipend, detatched from the populous' grim reality and ready to drop into line with whatever BS their generous benfactors (the government- with OUR money) feed them with

common sense - we get falmer - years ago
reality - we've been screwed over by an ubsurd administration - a confederacy of parasites

WANKERS

Benign?

Look at the SDCB web sites. They have published a continual barrage of anti-Falmer propoganda for their own political reasons since Falmer was first mentioned.

They are the reason there are so many objectors to Falmer from faraway places from people who have never even been there.

I would describe them as devious, vindictive, asinine and arrogant, that's just for starters!

(And that's without Falmer: it is about their policies for messing up the downs so the farmers can get grants!)

Icy Gull said:
Everything is either black or white with you though, isn't it? Never room for grey. Your blind faith in Labour and disdain of all other parties is just another example of it :)

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Tony Blair, me :lolol:

Tony! Gizza job!

The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
...your majority is wafter thin.

...you made a lot of enemies among your electorate by vocally supporting an unpopular government decision to go to war illegally.

...you made some great contacts while a defence minister, some of whom have promised you lucrative consultancy work.

Wouldn't you quit at the next election?

Spot on. Caplin's ministerial career is an accident - no one thought Labour would get Hove, Labour needs landslides to hold it and the Tories have been so shit they've had two in a row. But there is every sign now that the British public are tired of the New Labour lies but won't reward the bigger and much more evil scumbags in the Tory Party with power. That means an election with low turnout and a reduced but still comfortable majority for Blair.

That will mean Hove will go Tory, its natural political colour.

Caplin is going to make some quick money now. He advanced quickly by being an ultra-Blairite - those days are coming to an end, the Gordon Brown era is coming and being a Tony groupie is no guarantee of advancement in the Labour Party any more - so it's a good percentage choice for him to get out now.

Should Caplin decide to return to politics, it won't be in an undefendable seat in Hove but in a safe Labour seat from which he can build a long political career. It might happen if the Blairites make a comeback through the likes of Alan Milburn.

Caplin's decision to quit has absolutely f*** all to do with the Albion and Falmer.

I know it's difficult when you're a diehard Albion fan, but we have to realise sometimes that there are much more important things than football and new stadiums - and it's those things that are influencing Caplin!

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Most of the above is purely speculative. However, it’s how you view the current situation. I still believe the delay is tainted with political reasoning.

I didn’t say I’d vote elsewhere for the record - just not vote. I would, maybe, consider giving my vote to a smaller party who are certainly not going to be elected. But i'll decided on that.

I know political lovers think that you don’t have a voice if you don’t vote, but if “no votes” do get recorded…..?

Time will tell.

Time will indeed tell. Don't you remember there was a big push to stand Albion candidates in the May council elections in 1999 because everyone was going crazy about the many delays in moving from Gillingham to Withdean?

We are in a similar period now. What is needed now is what was needed then - patience and the intelligence to realise that we are on course for total victory.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
London Irish said:
Spot on. Caplin's ministerial career is an accident - no one thought Labour would get Hove, Labour needs landslides to hold it and the Tories have been so shit they've had two in a row. But there is every sign now that the British public are tired of the New Labour lies but won't reward the bigger and much more evil scumbags in the Tory Party with power. That means an election with low turnout and a reduced but still comfortable majority for Blair.

That will mean Hove will go Tory, its natural political colour.

Caplin is going to make some quick money now. He advanced quickly by being an ultra-Blairite - those days are coming to an end, the Gordon Brown era is coming and being a Tony groupie is no guarantee of advancement in the Labour Party any more - so it's a good percentage choice for him to get out now.

Should Caplin decide to return to politics, it won't be in an undefendable seat in Hove but in a safe Labour seat from which he can build a long political career. It might happen if the Blairites make a comeback through the likes of Alan Milburn.

Caplin's decision to quit has absolutely f*** all to do with the Albion and Falmer.

I know it's difficult when you're a diehard Albion fan, but we have to realise sometimes that there are much more important things than football and new stadiums - and it's those things that are influencing Caplin!

Fair points all, with one exception, I believe.

I do not believe Hove is certain - possible maybe even probable, but not certain - to go back to the Tories. If nothing else, the Hove Tory candidate is gay, and that will upset a not inconsiderable number of his target voters.

Jul 20, 2003
London Irish said:

I know it's difficult when you're a diehard Albion fan, but we have to realise sometimes that there are much more important things than football .........

Cricket?

The Large One said:
The Tory councillors in Westdene (Ann Norman, Ken Norman, Pat Drake) are Albion fans, they want Falmer, and as far as I am aware, are not opposing the Albion's application for extra seats at Withdean.

I hope you are right. But they have a lot to prove to me because of their past collaboration with SWEAT and their current bleating about serious traffic and parking problems at Withdean.

But as they're my local councillors, I'll ask them what they're doing about getting us the extra seats and see what they say :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
patience and the intelligence to realise that we are on course for total victory.

Are you sure you're NOT a politician, it seems you have the same tunnel vision, I am right attitude?

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Unless there is something SPECTACULAR that Lewes can conure up at the next public inquiry - a lie so outrageous it has to be true etc, then all the evidence (suitability of the alternative sites, transport issues, environmental issues, financial issues) points to Falmer being given the go-ahead.

Remember - Falmer is good enough. None of the other sites are. We just have to prove that. And the sustainble transport issue is something the government puts very high on its list of priorities - despite what the blinkered LibDem-run Lewes District Council says.

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
Ivor Caplin is a LIAR!

The letter has been circulated on the Albion fan website North Stand Chat.

Mr Hendry's assertion was immediately shot down by Hove Labour MP and Falmer stadium supporter Ivor Caplin.

He said: "It's utter rubbish and a complete and utter fabrication.

"The inspector will report in the usual way to the Secretary of State and he has a duty to make a decision on planning grounds.

"No decision has been made in advance.

To say i'm annoyed is an understatement.

I am looking at the letter right now - fabrication?? Bullshit Mr Caplin.

I shall be writing to him accordingly.

:angry:

PS - It wasn't me that leaked it to the Argus.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Re: Ivor Caplin is a LIAR!

Eddie the Seagull said:
To say i'm annoyed is an understatement.

I am looking at the letter right now - fabrication?? Bullshit Mr Caplin.

I shall be writing to him accordingly.

:angry:

PS - It wasn't me that leaked it to the Argus.

Nobody leaked it to the Argus - it was on here!!

Icy Gull said:
Are you sure you're NOT a politician, it seems you have the same tunnel vision, I am right attitude?

Caricature it however you want Icy, makes no odds to me. I have my opinion based on the facts that are before us. The inquiry is stacked in our favour - only Sheepcote can stop Falmer and I think there is enough wrong with Sheepcote to prevent that. Labour are on course for a clear victory. The same minsterial advisers will be making the minister's mind up for him whether it's Prescott in the top job or someone like Milburn. The result of all of that is that I have total confidence we will get Falmer. Sorry about that :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
The result of all of that is that I have total confidence we will get Falmer. Sorry about that :)

Please God you're right, I would be devasted if you are wrong, I'm just not as upbeat about this as you :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here