Falmer Failures according to the Argus' readers

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Falmer failures
5:31pm Friday 20th May 2011

LOOKING at Brighton and Hove Albion’s new stadium at Falmer from Ditchling Beacon, it is transparently obvious that it is incongruous with the downland landscape that is so close to the heart of many people.

The problem is not on the same scale of Twyford Down, but it is very sad that this stadium has been allowed on this site.

Nicholas Dunn-Coleman, The Droveway, Hove

I CYCLED to the Falmer site of the University of Brighton recently.

The route was pretty clear to the University of Sussex, but there didn’t seem to be any easy way to get to the Falmer site.

The underpass takes you to Falmer Station, and I had to carry my bike over a railway bridge to get to the right side of the line. This seems crazy.

Has access been taken away by the new football stadium? Or did I miss something?

Liz Colman, Colebrook Road, Brighton

Back

© Copyright 2001-2011 Newsquest Media Group

The Argus - News, Sport, Brighton and Hove Albion and Entertainment for Brighton, Hove and Sussex

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

The route was pretty clear to the University of Sussex, but there didn’t seem to be any easy way to get to the Falmer site.

The underpass takes you to Falmer Station, and I had to carry my bike over a railway bridge to get to the right side of the line. This seems crazy.

Has access been taken away by the new football stadium? Or did I miss something?

I feel it's pretty evident, Liz, that if you are going to cycle anywhere, you should have the benefit of good eyesight, otherwise you could become a danger to yourself and other road users. If you did use said eyesight, you will see that there is a f***ing great footbridge, painted (for now) in something akin to British Racing Green, not 50 yards from the bridge you currently use. Some might see it as a blot on what was little more than a country railway station. It has ramps, steps and plenty of width for pedestrians, cyclists and selfish women with 4x4 off-road prams.

It just isn't open yet.

If you haven't noticed it yet, please, for your sake and everyone else's - get off the road, you lunatic menace.

TLO x

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
I feel it's pretty evident, Liz, that if you are going to cycle anywhere, you should have the benefit of good eyesight, otherwise you could become a danger to yourself and other road users. If you did use said eyesight, you will see that there is a f***ing great footbridge, painted (for now) in something akin to British Racing Green, not 50 yards from the bridge you currently use. Some might see it as a blot on what was little more than a country railway station. It has ramps, steps and plenty of width for pedestrians, cyclists and selfish women with 4x4 off-road prams.

It just isn't open yet.

If you haven't noticed it yet, please get off the road, you lunatic menace.

TLO x

Can this brilliant response be put on the Argus' letter's page to ensure Liz reads it!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
LOOKING at Brighton and Hove Albion’s new stadium at Falmer from Ditchling Beacon, it is transparently obvious that it is incongruous with the downland landscape that is so close to the heart of many people.

The problem is not on the same scale of Twyford Down, but it is very sad that this stadium has been allowed on this site.

Nicholas Dunn-Coleman, The Droveway, Hove

Nicholas,

Have you not noticed that you too live on built-on South Downs?

Shut your whining.

TLO x

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Is Liz missing something?
A brain, to start with.

How f***ing thick are some people?

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
When you were look down from Ditchling Beacon Nicholas, did you miss seeing the University buildings and the railway station by the stadium? What blot on the landscpe was it that you saw - was it our new stadium surrunded by nothing other than green fields? Take another look when the landscaping has been completed and the trees have settled in and grown.

I could say that when I was standing by our new stadium and looked up at Ditchling Beacon I noticed a blot on the landscape. Its all a matter of opinion isn't it.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

It just isn't open yet.

If you haven't noticed it yet, please, for your sake and everyone else's - get off the road, you lunatic menace.

TLO x

I think I've just wet my pants. Absolutely hilarious

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
When you were look down from Ditchling Beacon Nicholas, did you miss seeing the University buildings and the railway station by the stadium? What blot on the landscpe was it that you saw - was it our new stadium surrunded by nothing other than green fields? Take another look when the landscaping has been completed and the trees have settled in and grown.

I could say that when I was standing by our new stadium and looked up at Ditchling Beacon I noticed a blot on the landscape. Its all a matter of opinion isn't it.

to be fair to old nick, you cannot see the university or the railway station or the road from the beacon. but you can quite clearly see the stadium, despite the clubs claims that you wouldn't

all a matter of opinion, but from up there on a clear day i think it looks f***ing marvelous

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
to be fair to old nick, you cannot see the university or the railway station or the road from the beacon. but you can quite clearly see the stadium, despite the clubs claims that you wouldn't

all a matter of opinion, but from up there on a clear day i think it looks f***ing marvelous
Don't think they ever said you wouldn't as I've seen drawings of what it would look like from there in the planning application.

You can see half of Brighton from up there too, though.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Falmer failures
5:31pm Friday 20th May 2011

... ...

Back

© Copyright 2001-2011 Newsquest Media Group

The Argus - News, Sport, Brighton and Hove Albion and Entertainment for Brighton, Hove and Sussex

Who gives a f*** you silly tart! People who block our roads with f***ing push-bikes are just scum! Get the train or go by car next time!

chinners

Aug 27, 2009
Brighton
you cant please everyone to be honest who cares we have as BEAUTIFUL new home

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
you cant please everyone to be honest who cares we have as BEAUTIFUL new home

Yes but i do have issues with it(please note it is fabulous)

East stand(bit where the upper tier will go)unlike the West stand it remains open.
No on street parking for 3/4 around it-however i can walk(25 minutes)or park at a mates house off Lewes rd(he has 4 spaces & not for sale-North of the avenue).
No provision(although space & a lot of work)to double decker North & South ends.(due to main stand thrust blocks these upper tiers would be smaller if added).
Not many pubs.(again no problem for me at least as can drink at friends house).
Roofs not low enough(people will get wet).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I cycled up to Ditchling, a couple of weeks ago.
It is, as always, a fabulous view, even more so now for The Albion.

It's also the only time it looks like Falmer is in AONB, only because you can't see the f'ing great big road and 2 f'off universities.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Even the "fittest birds in the world" have flaws-right down to the choice of perfume.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
People who think it has ruined the landscape, please note that your eyes have a virtual 180 degree viewing angle and your neck has the ability to rotate your neck 90 degrees to the left and right. Taking this into account, please look at something else on the lanscape and f*** off while you are doing it, you perspectiveless morons.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
People who think it has ruined the landscape, please note that your eyes have a virtual 180 degree viewing angle and your neck has the ability to rotate your neck 90 degrees to the left and right. Taking this into account, please look at something else on the lanscape and f*** off while you are doing it, you perspectiveless morons.

I know-don't these people recognise a stunning new bird on the landscape?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Is the correct answer :thumbsup:

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I think they both have a fair point and I think the decent thing to do would be to tear down the stadium and see if we can get back into the Withdean.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
What is it with some of these stupid cyclists? They really do think they rule the world!

The view from Ditchling Beacon looking out over our beautiful new stadium is absolutely wonderful and unspoilt because you can't see all the dodgy uni buildings and A27.
I know I'm biased and all that, but as far as I'm concerned, she's a bloody stupid cow!!
Wonder if it's the same bloody stupid cow that nearly run me over when I was walking down New England Hill once (on the pavement) and had the cheek to ring her bell, telling me to get out of her way!!!!

Her way, my arse, it's a f***ing pavement!!!

Rant over. Oh, and btw, I don't like cyclists.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
What is it with some of these stupid cyclists? They really do think they rule the world!

The view from Ditchling Beacon looking out over our beautiful new stadium is absolutely wonderful and unspoilt because you can't see all the dodgy uni buildings and A27.
I know I'm biased and all that, but as far as I'm concerned, she's a bloody stupid cow!!
Wonder if it's the same bloody stupid cow that nearly run me over when I was walking down New England Hill once (on the pavement) and had the cheek to ring her bell, telling me to get out of her way!!!!

Her way, my arse, it's a f***ing pavement!!!

Rant over. Oh, and btw, I don't like cyclists.

Love the way cyclists jump red lights
don't wear hi vis & thus are asking to be knocked of their bikes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here