Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Woo-hoo! :clap2:
And double bubble celebrating cos October 4th is my Birthday!:clap2: :clap2:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Sorry, I meant to confirm whether this now means the final decision will come sooner, or will we still have to wait for the December hearing too

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
...appears to be rather than techincally the hearing being brought forward, we've been offered a chance to make our case to the judge that the full hearing does not need to take place.

Thus speeding up the process, so Ruth Kelly can get on with er.. giving us planning permission again ?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I think this is just an opportunity to blow out the December hearing altogether so that Kelly can just get on and remake the decision.

Colbourne Kid

Sep 19, 2003
The hearing on the 4th October is the opportunity for a judge to say the hearing scheduled for December is unnecessary and unwarranted and that the matter should be referred back to the S o S immediately.

If he does not decide that is the case the hearing in December goes ahead.

Following the referal back to the S o S there will be a period of consultation with all parties before she makes another decision. She could decide to ask for another Inquiry but more likkley she will ask for written submissions.

Basically winning in October could save us 2 months and show up Lewes' misuse of the legal system as a delaying tactic

Colbourne Kid said:
The hearing on the 4th October is the opportunity for a judge to say the hearing scheduled for December is unnecessary and unwarranted and that the matter should be referred back to the S o S immediately.

Following the referal back to the S o S there will be a period of consultation with all parties before she makes another decision. She could decide to ask for another Inquiry but more likkley she will ask for written submissions.

Basically winning in October could save us 2 months and show up Lewes' misuse of the legal system as a delaying tactic

Yep, this must be the small bit of good news that Knight and Perry were talking about a month back.

Two months is better than nothing! Might get a decsion from Kelly before the end of the season (importantly before huge Gordon Brown reshuffle in May?) ???

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Colbourne Kid said:

but wont they be able to appeal to someone

again?

or something

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Guinness Dave said:
but wont they be able to appeal to someone

again?

or something

My understanding (and I am prepared to be corrected) is that they could appeal all the way to the European Court Of Human Rights.

However LB gave a big clue yesterday that we are now moving towards the when as opposed to if scenario so bringing this forward is very welcome news.

Last edited:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Beach Hut said:
My understanding (and I am prepared to be corrected) is that they could appeal all the way to the European Court Of Human Rights.

They'd have to convince judges in this country that they have grounds to appeal. Which they don't.

This is bloody good news. :clap:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If LDC still want to press ahead with a full hearing in December and put this to the judge at the conference meeting in October does this mean the club can then sue LDC for expenses incurred ?Time wasting by LDC will only mean the taxpayers of Lewes having to fork out more on their council tax because the club and B&H city council will claim their legal fees and the judge may award costs to the Government.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Sounds like we're doing LDC a favour here, could help them avoid all those nasty costs they seemed determined to incur. Doubt they'll thank us though...

Last edited:

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Although the hearing is on the 4th of October, when will the judge make any decision on what to do next. On the day of the hearing or weeks afterwards?

Could be worthwhile having a bit of a demonstartion of our support outside the High court on the day.

I tried to have a rational discussion about this with Councillor Neighbour after the broadcast yesterday, He just kept banging on about the fact that LDC's lawyer was advising them to hold out for the full court hearing in December.

That suits Neighbour, of course, because he wants to delay the decision as long as possible - even though he seems to accept that the decision will eventually go the Club's way.

This latest move by the Club is a real opportunity to get the court to expose how flimsy the LDC case is and speed the process up.

The timetable is still pretty depressing though. The best I think we can hope for is:-

4 October - planning permission quashed and the decision is referred back to Ruth Kelly.

Late October - Kelly invites representations from all interested parties (and gives them six weeks to respond).

Mid December - Kelly's advisors start to consider the representations received, but - more importantly as far as they are concerned - get caught up in the preparations for Christmas.

Late January / February - Kelly's advisors reach a conclusion, but decide to get it double-checked by the government's lawyers before the decision letter is issued.

March or April - we get the YES decision, leaving LDC six weeks to decide whether or not to appeal.

April - the LDC election campaign kicks off in earnest, while the council remains silent on the question of a possible appeal.

5 May - The Seagulls Party sweep to victory in the LDC elections, take control of the council's Cabinet Committee, and vote to support the stadium and introduce a forced labour scheme that will require any remaining Lib Dem councillors to clear the site by hand, ready for construction to start.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
May the 5th sounds like it could be a good day to have a beer in Lewes:clap2: I'll donate my old wheel barrow to the cause.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here