Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer beware, the locals arn't finished yet!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Took a walk over the fields on Sunday to show my G/daughter the stadium.

As we walked back through a field it atsrted to rain so we took to the'Scoomb side for some shelter. Once the rain had abaited, we headed up the hill towards bevendean, joking about cows in hiding.

As I looked back towards Coldean, my G/daughter told me that the cows were coming. I got the shock of my life to see 40 odd cows coming from nowhere and charging along the top of the field.

They went right, then left then right again, all the time moving down the hill towards us. We didn't run but turned back down the hill and walked pretty quickly. the strong wind drowned the noise of thundering hooves and I was trying to stay calm whilst looking back to see if they were still coming or not.

It was too far to run, we couldn't have ourrun them in a downhill charge. if i had stood and shouted i reckoned there too many to stop.

Thankfully something else took their attention and they charged off from whence they came.

Scarey though and I don't think I'll be taking that walk to Falmer!

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
If you run at them they will run away, they think you have food for them.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
If you run at them they will run away, they think you have food for them.

An experiment worth considering when next faced with this situation.:thumbsup:

stampede.jpg

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester

As we walked back through a field it atsrted to rain so we took to the'Scoomb side for some shelter. Once the rain had abaited, we headed up the hill towards bevendean, joking about cows in hiding.

As I looked back towards Coldean, my G/daughter told me that the cows were coming. I got the shock of my life to see 40 odd cows coming from nowhere and charging along the top of the field.

They went right, then left then right again, all the time moving down the hill towards us. We didn't run but turned back down the hill and walked pretty quickly. the strong wind drowned the noise of thundering hooves and I was trying to stay calm whilst looking back to see if they were still coming or not.

It was too far to run, we couldn't have ourrun them in a downhill charge. if i had stood and shouted i reckoned there too many to stop.

Thankfully something else took their attention and they charged off from whence they came.

They'll soon sort out millwall and leeds

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Making yourself large apparently works. or playing dead*

I don't think I could manage onanism whilst being attacked by cows though.

*Editors note: This advice may apply to Grizzly bears rather than cows.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Nah, you'll be absolutely fine on a downhill charge - you can run much faster. If they try to speed up, they'll just fall over their crappy little front legs.

Ok so maybe I haven't got crappy little legs but it had just rained, the grass was wet and very lumpy, not to mention quite a few turds spread about. They were nearer to us than we were to the edge & safety.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton

I don't think I could manage onanism whilst being attacked by cows though.

*Editors note: This advice may apply to Grizzly bears rather than cows.

Some might say that I'm large enough!

Oh and when we got home I INSISTED that beef was on the menu!

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905

Works with both cows and horses, something to do with the position of their eyes. Basically, stick your arms out in in a Jesus Christ pose, and it can do the trick, well it did for me with a group of young bullocks thundering around the field.

Cows are generally docile but can be spooked. General rules are:

1. If you have a dog be prepared to let it go, the dog can outrun the cows, humans can't.
2. If you can see young calves in the field walk a route that doesn't involve going between them and their mothers.

A group of young bullocks can be inquisitive and will come over in your direction but if you stand you ground they'll stop and if you walk towards them (sometimes with arms out) they'll back off. I remember walking through a field north of Steyning near the River Adur with a herd following me, I'd stop and turn round and they would stop, I'd start walking and hear them start walking so I'd stop again turn round and they'd stop. We continued this for the next ten minutes until they got bored.

joker

BHA Blues Away
Aug 2, 2010
Eastbourne

This has really cheered me up thanks
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
This has really cheered me up thanks
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

We both had a good laugh when we got to safety but I think it was more a hysterical reaction.

My g/daughter is 15, was quite spooked but kept calm and hung on, we didn't want to get seperated. It's something she won't forget and life is all about memories.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
No idea. We were alone in the field, no dogs. It was a large field and they ran back to the far corner from whence they came.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here