Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer beware, the locals arn't finished yet!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not perhaps in your instance but if you are caught in a similar circumstance and have a dog, the cows still have their instincts that dogs are wolfs and see them as predators. If your dog is on a lead release it and move in the opposite direction. your dog will comfortably outrun the cows but hopefully giving you the time to escape. Cows are genuinely just inquisitive and will not harm you. however if they feel threaten will surround you. making yourself look big such as arms out wide will deter them the same way as controlling geese etc. Also turning your back on them (if you're brave enough) and walking away is likely to cause them to lose interest in you. Stand still and they only become more inquisitive. Being bullish (pun intended) in the best way. If you see most farmers they effectively walk in an authoritative way around life stock. Most injuries caused to joe public in fields of cows are when they have dogs.

steve-c

the sane happen to me many years ago, when out walking with mum and my elder sister, we were crossing a field with our dog, when the sound of thundering hoofs could be heard, the next thing the dog took off ( the coward) as a herd of cows came charging towards us, well we all legged it and managed to find a gap in the hedge,which had a barbed wire fence running through it, me being the youngest about 14, got to the gap first, but somehow mum and the sister got over first ( by shoving little son/brother out of the way) saving their own lives, i then launched myself over the fence , but catching my jeans in the crotch and ripping them all the way to the bottom, needles to say we escaped the herd of cows, but i then got a rollicking for ripping my jeans, and before anyone asks .....yes the dog returned to us , but never liked going through a field of cows again.:laugh:

jkw

Oct 19, 2008
I have to say i think this is a great thread that sparks all sorts of reactions, fear, advice, humour etc, most of all noone was hurt, can now see the funny side and an important lesson was learned, well done
:thumbsup: :laugh: :clap2:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I have to say i think this is a great thread that sparks all sorts of reactions, fear, advice, humour etc, most of all noone was hurt, can now see the funny side and an important lesson was learned, well done
:thumbsup: :laugh: :clap2:

I love these threads and this one has been hilarious thats why this forum works so well essentially football but with great personal stories as well

we used to take our jack Russel for walks over Stanmer park and woods and at the entrance there are cottages in which we assumed lived a dastardly cockerel who would follow our dog until she looked round and would then walk off in the opposite direction this would go on until we were nearly over the slope at the beginning of the wooded area.
we thought it was rather funny ..................Paddy the dog did'nt

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I've been walking dogs through cow fields for donkey years. In all those years I have NEVER come across charging cows that will not stop if you stand and face them. If you run in the opposite direction, they will obviously continue their charge after you, but they're really not trying to kill you - they're just being curious. They tend to be at their worst at the start of the summer when they've just been let out after a winter inside and are full of the joys of spring.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here