Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer and our Catchment Area.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't think the Falmer platforms ARE being extended, although I await correction on that point.

And two factors about the Goldstone: firstly because of its 'in-town' location it was in walking distance for a LOT more people than Falmer will be. Secondly there was a lot of on-street parking available; if we drove over from Lancing we never had a problem parking. Both those two methods of transportation, for different reasons, will be severely curtailed at Falmer.

I hope you're right though about the 'unecessary panic', but on the other hand I think we're right to be concerned about it. At first glance it does seem as if it could be a problem.

I seem to remember Lord B saying that there would be work on Falmer Station to allow longer trains but I may have got that wrong.

My memory of Goldstone is that it was a bit of a pig parking. I remember going with father once by car and having to park the other side of Hove Park - we never tried it again. Maybe you just had to get there early. Don't forget that the stadium will have car parking at the uni - the Goldstone didn't have a dedicated parking area.

My guess about the logistics is that this was a plan that was pored over by countless experts, went through two enquiries, with opponents looking to pounce on any flaws and got passed by an inspector and a government department. The figures must have added up for them.

Still, what do I care? It's a five minute cycle ride or a 25 minute walk for me. :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My guess about the logistics is that this was a plan that was pored over by countless experts, went through two enquiries, with opponents looking to pounce on any flaws and got passed by an inspector and a government department. The figures must have added up for them.

If we had concerns at the enquiries, I think we just kept quiet about them !

I used to park on the industrial estate just off Conway Street by the bus station. Most of the units there were closed on Saturdays and in the evenings, never had any issues leaving the car there and did that for years.

I won't mind hanging back at the stadium for a beer on Saturdays (although thats not going to be ideal midweek). But unless they are somehow bringing in additional trains for matchdays, it looks to me like it could be an issue.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If we had concerns at the enquiries, I think we just kept quiet about them !

But LDC and Falmer wouldn't have. If there was any doubt about anything, they'd have seized on it.

Where's Lord B when you need him? I'm sure he'd explain what the plans are

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But LDC and Falmer wouldn't have. If there was any doubt about anything, they'd have seized on it.

Where's Lord B when you need him? I'm sure he'd explain what the plans are

It was quite clear that LDC and FPC were fairly clueless on a number of issues at those enquiries. I'm not in the least bit surprised they failed to pick up on the potential problems with the trains - they were far more focussed on the mating habits of pipistrelle bats, arguing the toss over the AONB status, and trying to make a case for the merits of Sheepcote Valley as a viable and preferable alternative.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It was quite clear that LDC and FPC were fairly clueless on a number of issues at those enquiries. I'm not in the least bit surprised they failed to pick up on the potential problems with the trains - they were far more focussed on the mating habits of pipistrelle bats, arguing the toss over the AONB status, and trying to make a case for the merits of Sheepcote Valley as a viable and preferable alternative.

:lolol::lolol:

But a big part of the Sheepcote Valley proposal focused on transport - didn't the Inspector walk there from the station?

Surely, it would have occurred to dim-witted peasants of Falmer that transport might just be something to consider. And if they didn't, then their brief would have.

I'm sure I recall this coming up and there were a whole load of reasons why the transport infrastructure was deemed adequate.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
This is silly as our ground only holds 23k so why the need for new supporters?:lolol:I've always said the ground is to small and it will be proved right in the very near future.

Plenty of albion around the thames valley:thumbsup:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My memory of Goldstone is that it was a bit of a pig parking. I remember going with father once by car and having to park the other side of Hove Park - we never tried it again. Maybe you just had to get there early. Don't forget that the stadium will have car parking at the uni - the Goldstone didn't have a dedicated parking area.

I think it's a matter of perception then. Over the years I drove / was driven countless times to the Goldstone and obviously didn't expect to park right next door, so the other side of Hove Park would have been fine. However, coming from the west, we usually used to park by Aldrington station and have a gentle saunter down the Old Shoreham Road. Really easy to get away again back to Lancing afterwards. Happy days!

Regarding your other point I do remember Lord Bracknell making a post along the lines that HE wondered how the trains would cope. However Connex (as was) wrote a letter saying it would all be fine and he said he certainly wasn't going to query it. I'm sure he can give a more accurate account of that (if he ever puts in an appearance on this thread!)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
:lolol::lolol:

But a big part of the Sheepcote Valley proposal focused on transport - didn't the Inspector walk there from the station?

Surely, it would have occurred to dim-witted peasants of Falmer that transport might just be something to consider. And if they didn't, then their brief would have.

I'm sure I recall this coming up and there were a whole load of reasons why the transport infrastructure was deemed adequate.

The inspector didn't walk from Brighton or London Road station, but LDC's lawyer tried to make a case that fans could make the walk from those stations in around 20 minutes. A case that was COMPLETELY blown out of the water by a woman representing the Friends of Sheepcote Valley, when she pointed out that not only were his calulations questionable, but he'd also not taken into account Naismiths rule on gradient - in other words, the whacking great HILL that has to be negotiated (whilst LDC's figures and calcluations were based on us walking across level ground). If you can be arsed, its in my report on that day of the enquiry HERE (mine starts about halfway down the thread - warning, its a bit of a beast :blush: )

Day 14 - Fri 25th Feb - You're Going Home In A Sheepcote Ambulance / THE HUSTLER - North Stand Chat

Of course thankfully the club put forward a very convincing case for the transport of fans to and from the stadium and the spread of options fans have.
But I STILL think we've got an issue with those trains....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This is silly as our ground only holds 23k so why the need for new supporters?:lolol:I've always said the ground is to small and it will be proved right in the very near future.

Plenty of albion around the thames valley:thumbsup:

You need to take a good look at the plans. I think you'll find it can easily be reconfigured to hold a few more. Maybe an additional, oh I don't know, 13,000 people?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think it's a matter of perception then. Over the years I drove / was driven countless times to the Goldstone and obviously didn't expect to park right next door, so the other side of Hove Park would have been fine. However, coming from the west, we usually used to park by Aldrington station and have a gentle saunter down the Old Shoreham Road. Really easy to get away again back to Lancing afterwards. Happy days!

Regarding your other point I do remember Lord Bracknell making a post along the lines that HE wondered how the trains would cope. However Connex (as was) wrote a letter saying it would all be fine and he said he certainly wasn't going to query it. I'm sure he can give a more accurate account of that (if he ever puts in an appearance on this thread!)

If that's defined as parking close to the stadium, then there are no parking restrictions in Moulsecoomb or Coldean so there would be room to park there.

It's probably the reassurance from Connex that I remember then.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I remember Lord B saying that everyone accepted Connex's reassurance. I cannot recall, sitting through the second inquiry, rail transport being an issue whereas cars, buses and walking were.
Like many others I think there are going to be queues for the train as you get at West Ham, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. We may have to get used to it.
It would be good though to have a definitive statemant on the arrangements rather than "It will be alright on the night" There is not much time now to get plans in place.

It's not part of the conurbation as it not a contiguous urban area - the race course and East Brighton golf course are the green bits in the way!

Where did you get the statistics from? If you look at the link on the City of Brighton and Hove you will see that Saltdean and Rottingdean are part of Brighton and Hove, they are also part of the larger Brighton Urban Area conurbation!

Brighton/Worthing/Littlehampton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brighton and Hove - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

National Statistics Online - Census 2001

Last edited:

Feb 14, 2010
Where did you get the statistics from? If you look at the link on the City of Brighton and Hove you will see that Saltdean and Rottingdean are part of Brighton and Hove, they are also part of the larger Brighton Urban Area conurbation!

I knew it was big but I didnt know before seeing that, that the Brighton/Worthing conurbation was the 12th biggest place in the UK bigger than Edinburgh (that has two teams) and smaller than Greater Belfast

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Looks like I was talking bollocks then, not for the first time either! :laugh:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here