Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer and our Catchment Area.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Leigh on Sea is a hotbed of Albion support, theres me and another bloke in Shoeburyness for a start.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Not really that logical, it would be like people in Chesterfield, choosing Derby over Sheff U or Sheff Wed just because they live in Derbyshire.

Agreed, I'm not sure that the residents of Glossop are more likely to support the mighty rams (close to 2 hours) vs Man U (more like 20 mins!).

I think the club need to make sure that people in place like Shoreham are following Brighton - I seriously don't know any Brighton fans living here (I know there are some, just making a point).

Flicky_12

May 5, 2009
T Wells
Working on the assumption that you could leave home at 1/1.30pm and be in your seat at Falmer by kick off time (including park and ride if required) how big an area is our potential catchment area?

Littlehampton to the West, Horsham/Crawley to the North West, Tunbridge Wells to the North, Hastings to the East?

I know there will be people who travel from far and wide, but my question is really what sort of catchment area do we have for the 'casual' fan who decides at lunchtime he wants to come and see a game?

Forthe Villa game I know that coaches were run from all over Sussex - I wonder if there are plans for these from the major towns in Sussex when Falmer opens?

I know of quite a few brighton fans who go nearly every home game from tunbridge wells. If i wasnt a student then i would go a lot more though it is a boring bus ride there and back, especially when its been raining, its all worth it if we get the 3 points though.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Interesting thread and as a transport planner it's got me thinking about what initiatives might target additional fans. A couple of ideas:

- have an extended catchment for the travel voucher for season ticket holders only eg to Eastbourne so that travel is 'free' for this target market (especially if Boro relegated)

- negotiate with Southern to include free station car parking as part of the voucher deal

- run coaches from more difficult non-direct train journeys eg Bognor/Littlehampton; Horsham. Free or cheaper for STHs.

PG

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
I think the club need to make sure that people in place like Shoreham are following Brighton - I seriously don't know any Brighton fans living here (I know there are some, just making a point).

Are you sure about that?...It seems to me that Shoreham has the biggest concentration of Albion as in fans per population ratio than anywhere else in Sussex. I know a whole load from Shoreham and the station always seem to have a fair few when we play at home which is impressive considering the place it actually quite small.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Interesting thread and as a transport planner it's got me thinking about what initiatives might target additional fans. A couple of ideas:

- have an extended catchment for the travel voucher for season ticket holders only eg to Eastbourne so that travel is 'free' for this target market (especially if Boro relegated)

- negotiate with Southern to include free station car parking as part of the voucher deal

- run coaches from more difficult non-direct train journeys eg Bognor/Littlehampton; Horsham. Free or cheaper for STHs.

PG
As a transport planner what are your thoughts on the train situation for Falmer? I think a lot of us have done rough 'back of a fag packet' calculations and have come to the conclusion that any more than about *fingerlick* 5000 using the existing westbound trains and some fans could be facing hefty delays - even allowing for the fact that the club hope that people will stagger their journeys home by staying on at the stadium. (And I don't think they should rely on people doing that - especially for evening games).

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
As a transport planner what are your thoughts on the train situation for Falmer? I think a lot of us have done rough 'back of a fag packet' calculations and have come to the conclusion that any more than about *fingerlick* 5000 using the existing westbound trains and some fans could be facing hefty delays - even allowing for the fact that the club hope that people will stagger their journeys home by staying on at the stadium. (And I don't think they should rely on people doing that - especially for evening games).

I haven't looked at the numbers in any detail but would make the following observations:

- the lead time for timetable changes on the railway is significant and may already be too late for the first game

- the obvious enhancement, which may be possible as a de minimus change (and therefore not have the same lead time) is to stop the fast Ashford service at Falmer. However this is only 2 cars and I don't think Southern has stock to lengthen it.

- there is no real scope to lengthen trains or find paths for extra services: I believe the signalling is the constraint here.

My 'back of fag packet' guess would be that 2k would be the most that could be moved westbound in the hour after the game, (5 tph x 4 cars x 100 per car). Remember, there will be people already on the trains.

PG

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Hassocks/Hurst/Ditchling and surrounding villages come to about 15K

I'm a bit wary of including people from Hassocks, on the way back from Oldham away one of it's residents was abusing some Palace fans and generally looking for trouble at Haywards Heath station :rolleyes:

B/H/W/LA 461181
Woodingdean 20000
Saltdean 5000
Peacehaven 13268
Newhaven 11144
Seaford 23000
Eastbourne 97992
Burgess Hill 28803
Haywards Heath 22800
Lewes 16222
Hastings 86400
Bexhill-on-Sea 41173
Hailsham 19836
Crowborough 19988
Uckfield 13873
Hassocks/Hurst/Ditchling and surrounding villages come to about 15K

Total 895680.

Anywhere I've missed? (Must be 10k plus population)

These are are a bit further afield:

but another 250k

Horsham 55657
Royal Tunbridge Wells 56500
Crawley 101300
Bognor Regis 22555
Chichester 23731

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I forgot how much of a trek it can be from Eastbourne, and I really will struggle to think how we can attract new fans in Hastings under our catchment personally until we have a new bypass connecting from Queensway to Bexhill and Eastbourne at least.

LOADS of people in Heathfield / Hailsham keep telling me they're gonna go or get season tickets etc but i'll believe it when i see it - why they cant go now is beyond me tho

There used to be a coach load that travelled down from Heathfield every week to the Goldstone.

I know a few still come down from Burwash, Wadhurst etc..

If you are coming in by car, it's very easy to get to Falmer from those villages.

Not willing to organise it :), but I'd be interested in getting a London Coach down.

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
If you are coming in by car, it's very easy to get to Falmer from those villages.

True - but you won't be able to park will you? I'm not clear about the parking options - is there a car park for the non-gold/platinum types? I suspect it will be a park and ride, thus making Falmer very little different to Withdean in that sense (although the drive to Lewes P&R will save perhaps 10 minutes each way if you're coming from the East).

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
True - but you won't be able to park will you? I'm not clear about the parking options - is there a car park for the non-gold/platinum types? I suspect it will be a park and ride, thus making Falmer very little different to Withdean in that sense (although the drive to Lewes P&R will save perhaps 10 minutes each way if you're coming from the East).

It will be park and ride.

Personally, I'd prefer to get a train to Lewes and a bus take me up to the ground.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester

i'd like to see the supporters club getting active in recruiting for, and creating, 'branches' around sussex, and then themselves organising the coaches.

apologies if the SC already do this, but in Manchester there are City Supporters Club sub-divisons in virtually every area, they normally chip in and hire 15-20 seater minibusses.

if the relevant media got involved (programme/argus/nsc/fanzine/radio) to publicise the branches it could become a really good network, plus save on traffic/pollution etc.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Agreed. Given the positive vibe around the team and with Falmer on the horizon, there should be a relaunch of the SC around this concept. Many SCs operate in this way, Ipswich is a comparable one that comes to mind and has 20k+ crowds on the back of a similar catchment.
PG

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I haven't looked at the numbers in any detail but would make the following observations:

- the lead time for timetable changes on the railway is significant and may already be too late for the first game

- the obvious enhancement, which may be possible as a de minimus change (and therefore not have the same lead time) is to stop the fast Ashford service at Falmer. However this is only 2 cars and I don't think Southern has stock to lengthen it.

- there is no real scope to lengthen trains or find paths for extra services: I believe the signalling is the constraint here.

My 'back of fag packet' guess would be that 2k would be the most that could be moved westbound in the hour after the game, (5 tph x 4 cars x 100 per car). Remember, there will be people already on the trains.

PG
Thanks for the reply, I think that matches most peoples' estimates: with current timetable if there are 6000 wanting to go westward and you're at the back of the queue you could be looking at a three hour wait! It's my biggest worry about Falmer but I'm sure it'll all be sorted ...

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Thanks for the reply, I think that matches most peoples' estimates: with current timetable if there are 6000 wanting to go westward and you're at the back of the queue you could be looking at a three hour wait! It's my biggest worry about Falmer but I'm sure it'll all be sorted ...

Truth is people won't wait 3 hours, they will find other ways to get back to Brighton. It's probably only an hour's walk. You could walk to Coldean Lane and pick up a 24(?) Bus or further down to get Moulscoomb/Bevendean buses.

I have concerns about eastbound trains. These are already very busy 5-6pm ex-Brighton and although a decent number alight at Falmer, there won't be much room for fans.

PG

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
I forgot how much of a trek it can be from Eastbourne, and I really will struggle to think how we can attract new fans in Hastings under our catchment personally until we have a new bypass connecting from Queensway to Bexhill and Eastbourne at least.

not very far from Eastbourne at all!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Now that there is a gap in the market we should be concentrating our efforts in the Croydon area.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Truth is people won't wait 3 hours, they will find other ways to get back to Brighton. It's probably only an hour's walk. You could walk to Coldean Lane and pick up a 24(?) Bus or further down to get Moulscoomb/Bevendean buses.

PG
Indeed - but they might be pissed off at having to walk for an hour when they were under the impression that they'd be whisked off home by a nice shiny, comfortable train. Also would something like the 24 bus keep the travel voucher? If you were trying to get back to say Worthing you'd still need it for the Brighton to Worthing train.

I think the worst thing is it's probably not going to be that much of a problem for bog-standard league games (at least not at first) when the ground won't sell out, but the first game at Falmer, even if it doesn't sell out, will have a very high attendance. If the train situation is as 'bad' as I fear it will certainly take the gloss off the day, and it won't be a very good advert for the club if the Argus is then full of 'My Falmer travel nightmare' stories.

However I'm not going to worry about it (especially as I won't be using the train to go home!) There are bound to be teething troubles and the trains might be one of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here