Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer and our Catchment Area.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ah I've been looking for that kind of stat, for a week now.

That being the total population of Burgess Hill, is the same of that living in The Yukon, Canada. Which is 3 times the size of GB.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Chandlers Ford is most definitely IN the catchment area.

Probably need to set off before half one though...

Yeah, IN the catchment area for Southampton.

No disrespect but if I was a Chandler's Ford local I'd be disappointed at other locals choosing clubs other than Southampton.

That's a bit like people in Lewes choosing Southampton over Brighton

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Don't forget the S.Bucks Seagulls!! We'll bring a full car every other week and are recruiting locally so may even get to a mini-bus full. Every little helps as Tesco might say.....

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
I forgot how much of a trek it can be from Eastbourne, and I really will struggle to think how we can attract new fans in Hastings under our catchment personally until we have a new bypass connecting from Queensway to Bexhill and Eastbourne at least.

Sorry but thats bollox :rant:..Most Saturdays I can get from Harley Shute Road St Leonards to The Longman pub in Carden Avenue in under a hour..there are loads of Hastings ex Goldstone Albion fans looking to go to Falmer...the club just need to up the marketing in this area at the appropriate time

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
The thing with Hastings is that although it may be slightly further out, they don't actually have lots of other clubs fighting for their attentions.

Gillingham? Charlton? Do me a lemon

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
B/H/W/LA 461181
Woodingdean 20000
Saltdean 5000
Peacehaven 13268
Newhaven 11144
Seaford 23000
Eastbourne 97992
Burgess Hill 28803
Haywards Heath 22800
Lewes 16222
Hastings 86400
Bexhill-on-Sea 41173
Hailsham 19836
Crowborough 19988
Uckfield 13873

Total 880680.

Anywhere I've missed? (Must be 10k plus population)

These are are a bit further afield:

but another 250k

Horsham 55657
Royal Tunbridge Wells 56500
Crawley 101300
Bognor Regis 22555
Chichester 23731

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Sorry but thats bollox :rant:..Most Saturdays I can get from Harley Shute Road St Leonards to The Longman pub in Carden Avenue in under a hour..there are loads of Hastings ex Goldstone Albion fans looking to go to Falmer...the club just need to up the marketing in this area at the appropriate time

Precisely. I have the same experience on a very regular basis and I have to come from Ore village end of town.

Evening games are just as quick too as the Bexhill Road log jam is easily clear after 6pm.

Looks like I stand corrected on train times to Falmer though, but just over the hour is still pretty good going in my book. Looking forward to going by train instead of driving. Come Falmer, I'll be getting a family railcard too.

B/H/W/LA 461181
Woodingdean 20000
Saltdean 5000
Peacehaven 13268
Newhaven 11144
Seaford 23000
Eastbourne 97992
Burgess Hill 28803
Haywards Heath 22800
Lewes 16222
Hastings 86400
Bexhill-on-Sea 41173
Hailsham 19836
Crowborough 19988
Uckfield 13873

Total 880680.

Anywhere I've missed? (Must be 10k plus population)

These are are a bit further afield:

but another 250k

Horsham 55657
Royal Tunbridge Wells 56500
Crawley 101300
Bognor Regis 22555
Chichester 23731

Hassocks/Hurst/Ditchling and surrounding villages come to about 15K

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yeah, IN the catchment area for Southampton.

No disrespect but if I was a Chandler's Ford local I'd be disappointed at other locals choosing clubs other than Southampton.

That's a bit like people in Lewes choosing Southampton over Brighton

:facepalm:

Err, yes - I do realise where it is.

With the Ashford train only taking 1½hours to get to Lewes, if the connection at Lewes is ok, then in theory it could be as far East as there

With my "trainspotter" hat on I expect with a bit of lobbying Southern could be persuaded to stop the Ashford train at Falmer on a Saturday and also make it longer than the usual two coaches.

When I worked for Connex I recall that there used to be a "football special" that ran on matchdays, I think from Littlehampton to Hove so perhaps something similar could run once Falmer is up and running.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
LOADS of people in Heathfield / Hailsham keep telling me they're gonna go or get season tickets etc but i'll believe it when i see it - why they cant go now is beyond me tho

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Do Students count in the population figures?

Brighton & Sussex Uni's must add add a few thousand that are based in the city for 2/3rds of the season

slightly off topic, but thinking of students, there's loads.
Lewes College, Haywards Heath College, BHASVIC, City College, Varndean, Plumpton, Northbrook, Worthing, St Pauls.

If the public aren't interested then surely the ground could get filled on student offers alone.

dje shoreham

Nov 2, 2009
surely the main increase in capacity for falmer will come from getting more people from the big populations of brighton/hove/HH /worthing etc not from getting more people further afield in sussex
you can get from selhurst to falmer quicker than some parts of sussex

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The overall impression from people all over the catchment appears to be that many lapsed fans will give it a go again when we have Falmer and if the team continue to improve. As many have said for a long time, there is a big catchment and considerable latent demand. All very exciting.

albertbilbert

Jul 15, 2009
Horsham
Hate to say it but Horsham and North Sussex are just as much Palace as Brighton. We should target these areas if we want to attract new people.

Yep plus that doesn't even include Woodingdean, Saltdean, Peacehaven etc.

Why would it not include Woodingdean? It's part of Brighton and Hove and so is half of Saltdean!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I currently live in Charlton and have no plans to leave. It would be great if local Brighton fans were willing to meet somewhere round here and bus themselves into Brighton with flags draped all over the beastly vehicle.

Any other Brighton fans round these parts (SE??)?

D

Deleted User X18H

For the first game I am going to walk from home up to Hollingbury Golf and walk down from what I believe is now the 13th.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here