Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer and our Catchment Area.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Working on the assumption that you could leave home at 1/1.30pm and be in your seat at Falmer by kick off time (including park and ride if required) how big an area is our potential catchment area?

Littlehampton to the West, Horsham/Crawley to the North West, Tunbridge Wells to the North, Hastings to the East?

I know there will be people who travel from far and wide, but my question is really what sort of catchment area do we have for the 'casual' fan who decides at lunchtime he wants to come and see a game?

Forthe Villa game I know that coaches were run from all over Sussex - I wonder if there are plans for these from the major towns in Sussex when Falmer opens?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I grew up in Littlehampton, it used to be mainly a Brighton area (amongst those that support local teams) although in the last 5 years there has been a heavy swing to Portsmouth. In recon with Portsmouth's current plight, and a shiny new stadium at Falmer, there are a lot of fans ready and willing to be won back.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
most of south london is within range. they migth be lacking a club soon too :lolol:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I see no reason why our catchment area can't go as far west as Chichester. After all, it's in Sussex, and we are going to be better than Portsmouth in a few years.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I'd say there is a growing interest in Brighton once again in Tunbridge Wells - certainly in Crowborough (10 miles closer as the crow flies).

Of course there are Charlton, West Ham, Millwall and the usual plastics, but people I speak to know a lot about what has been going on and definitely some of these will be giving Falmer a try. General impression I get is that they want Brighton to do well and have really noticed how things have gone since GP has been in charge. A few have been down to Withdean in the last few years because they fancied a game of football, but most wouldn't go back. These will definitely give Falmer a try.

Very encouraging from the Borderlands up here in the North East of the catchment.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Chandlers Ford is most definitely IN the catchment area.

Probably need to set off before half one though...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Tunbridge Wells is only about an hour away by bus too. Stops right at the stadium

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I see no reason why our catchment area can't go as far west as Chichester. After all, it's in Sussex, and we are going to be better than Portsmouth in a few years.
Chichester has always been solid Portsmouth, Even in the 'Glory Days' when we were in the first division and they were in the fourth if you wore a blue and white scarf in Chichester it was assumed you were a Portsmouth fan.

The problem I see for the 'Westies' is that in the old days it was really easy to get to the Goldstone by train from Worthing, Littlehampton, etc as all it took was one train straight to Hove station. With Falmer it will require you to go into Brighton and change. For the Westies, with Fratton Park being on a direct line from anywhere west of Brighton, the further west you go the closer Fratton becomes and the more Falmer recedes into the distance. Consequently I think there's even LESS chance of us 'conquering' Chichester as we couldn't do it when we were closer and when we were the more attractive club to watch.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We are the only professional football club in Sussex so we could expect all sorts from Chichester to Hastings. Brighton is fairly central to both of these and an Hours drive on a good day. I know people who live in both that intend on purchasing Season Tickets

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Depending on where you take the information from, there's approximately 1.5 million people in Sussex. With almost half a mil in Brighton and Hove. So we should have plenty of people to fill a 22,500 seater stadium

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
I can vouch for Chichester being a tough nut to crack. I lived in the area between 1979 & 1988. Being a Brighton fan, I was as rare as rocking horse shit at school. Always been Pompey, probably always will be.

1066gull

I forgot how much of a trek it can be from Eastbourne, and I really will struggle to think how we can attract new fans in Hastings under our catchment personally until we have a new bypass connecting from Queensway to Bexhill and Eastbourne at least.

dolphin123

May 12, 2009
I grew up in Littlehampton, it used to be mainly a Brighton area (amongst those that support local teams) although in the last 5 years there has been a heavy swing to Portsmouth. In recon with Portsmouth's current plight, and a shiny new stadium at Falmer, there are a lot of fans ready and willing to be won back.

No no no no.

Littlehampton is still Brighton.
Always has been always will be.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I forgot how much of a trek it can be from Eastbourne

It's about half an hour on a train,with the station on the stadium's front door - it couldn't be much easier . And Hastings is less than a hour away.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It's about half an hour on a train,with the station on the stadium's front door - it couldn't be much easier . And Hastings is less than a hour away.

With the Ashford train only taking 1½hours to get to Lewes, if the connection at Lewes is ok, then in theory it could be as far East as there

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Indeed. I think that's the other side side of the coin from my 'disadvantaged westies' argument: people from the east of the county will find it easier to get to Falmer than they did the Goldstone.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
With the Ashford train only taking 1½hours to get to Lewes, if the connection at Lewes is ok, then in theory it could be as far East as there

Current train times on Sat

13:14 Hastings [HGS]
Falmer [FMR]
14:21 1h 07m
1 change

Details
13:26 Hastings [HGS]
Falmer [FMR]
14:35 1h 09m
No change

OK, it's not less than hour but it's only just over and that looks pretty easy to me

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Current train times on Sat

13:14 Hastings [HGS]
Falmer [FMR]
14:21 1h 07m
1 change

Details
13:26 Hastings [HGS]
Falmer [FMR]
14:35 1h 09m
No change

OK, it's not less than hour but it's only just over and that looks pretty easy to me

Interesting.

I wonder how the times work out for Littlehampton, Worthing, Lancing, Shoreham etc from the west?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here