Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falkland Islands if history was to repeat itself ?

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
We couldn't stop it from happening. Of course, Argentina are not in a position to repeat their efforts (and they wouldn't dare risk failure a second time around). We would have to enter a longer period of negotiation, and call on our bigger cousins to help us out. Whether they would bother is, of course, a different matter...

The invasion of The Falklands or 'Malvinas', was done in a vain attempt by Argentina's faltering leader, to try and regain popularity over something that was vaguely grumbled about by his people.

Once it was proved futile, egotistical and downright foolish - he was deposed and jailed for his troubles.

If by some strange repeat, they tried to do that same thing again, international uproar would basically embarrass the nation and lose them so many business relationships, they'd be paralyzed, I reckon.

There are (apparently) significant reserves of offshore oil around the Falklands. It's difficult to exploit, but with the world price rising, it's becoming more economic to try to get at it.

This will no doubt affect the strategic importance of the islands and makes a stronger case for defending them now than applied in 1982.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
They won't give up on the whole "You nicked it off us" malarkey though. Especially now the oil is becoming increasingly appealing.

I wouldn't put it past the sneaky buggers.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The Falklands are better off financially now than they were 25 years ago. Revenues are now generated by tourism and fishing. I believe there is considerable offshore oil and gas exploration , so in the future Stanley could end up as a South Atlantic equivalent of Aberdeen.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
They won't give up on the whole "You nicked it off us" malarkey though. Especially now the oil is becoming increasingly appealing.

I wouldn't put it past the sneaky buggers.
Actually , we did nick it from them in a convoluted manner. The French had a settlement on the Falkland Islands before the British. The French then handed over these rights to the Spanish. The Argentine (Argentina) was a Spanish colony and when they gained independence from Spain claimed rights to the Falklands.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Like the Isle of Wight?

You couldn't even give the Isle of Wight away :lolol:
Q : Whats brown and steams out of Cowes several times a day ?
A: It used to be the IOW ferry but nowadays its the shitstains who previously lived in Hampshire (aka Pompey fans)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The global price of penguin hide has gone through the roof in the last 8-9 months.
Its only a matter of time.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The global price of penguin hide has gone through the roof in the last 8-9 months.
Its only a matter of time.

Do you like a piece of penguin ass now and again ?:ohmy:

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Actually , we did nick it from them in a convoluted manner. The French had a settlement on the Falkland Islands before the British. The French then handed over these rights to the Spanish. The Argentine (Argentina) was a Spanish colony and when they gained independence from Spain claimed rights to the Falklands.

Damned Spainish. Was reading the other day that had the Spainish not lobbied against their application, Gibraltar would now be a member of UEFA and FIFA and would have been in the WC qualifiers. Seems the spanish are saying Gibraltar are part of Spain so should not be allowed entry :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here