Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falkland Islands if history was to repeat itself ?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Damned Spainish. Was reading the other day that had the Spainish not lobbied against their application, Gibraltar would now be a member of UEFA and FIFA and would have been in the WC qualifiers. Seems the spanish are saying Gibraltar are part of Spain so should not be allowed entry :(

The Spanish are welcome to it. I passed through there a few years ago, and it's like any other modern UK town centre.

Looks like every other place you've ever been to.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
The invasion of The Falklands or 'Malvinas', was done in a vain attempt by Argentina's faltering leader, to try and regain popularity over something that was vaguely grumbled about by his people.

Once it was proved futile, egotistical and downright foolish - he was deposed and jailed for his troubles.

If by some strange repeat, they tried to do that same thing again, international uproar would basically embarrass the nation and lose them so many business relationships, they'd be paralyzed, I reckon.

As I recall some Argentine scrap dealers landed in Sth Georgia Islands because the Thatcher cutbacks meant sailors had to bring their own pedalos to work,so British patrols were largely a thing of the past,and rather in the way that nature abhors a vacuum the Argentines got sucked in.A highly unpopular British government then took the opportunity of placing Churchills large reputation on a midget politicians shoulders,and British servicemen had to risk - and in some cases give -all.It was a nasty piece of opportunism visited on the British people by the harridan.

I don't care what sort of funeral she has,but please let it be soon.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you've got a few minutes the following is informative (but dull) http://www.falklands.info/history/history1.html

However, quoting from the first paragraph,

The Falkland Islands were first sighted by English navigator John Davis of 'Desire' in 1592. They were then identified by another English navigator Sir Richard Hawkins in 1594 who named them 'Hawkins Maydenlande' after himself and Queen Elizabeth. In 1598 Dutch navigator Sebalde de Weert of 'Geloof' named them 'the Sebaldes'.

That means they must be ours together with what lies beneath.

These territorial disputes between Britain and Argentina can take on all the characteristics of an Ealing comedy.

Example ... Citizenship of the British Antarctic Territory is granted to every child born in the territory. Or, to be precise, citizenship has been granted to the ONLY child ever to be born in the territory - one Emilio Marcos Palma (born January 7, 1978). Citizenship of the British Antarctic Territory automatically includes the status of British nationality. Unfortunately for British claims to make Emilio Palma British, his parents are citizens of Argentina and the child was granted Argentine citizenship when he was born. The family now lives in Argentina.

This is OUTRAGEOUS. This place is a British Colony. It has only had ONE citizen in its entire history. And the Argies have kidnapped him. Well worth a WAR, say I.

If you've got a few minutes the following is informative (but dull) http://www.falklands.info/history/history1.html

However, quoting from the first paragraph,

The Falkland Islands were first sighted by English navigator John Davis of 'Desire' in 1592. They were then identified by another English navigator Sir Richard Hawkins in 1594 who named them 'Hawkins Maydenlande' after himself and Queen Elizabeth. In 1598 Dutch navigator Sebalde de Weert of 'Geloof' named them 'the Sebaldes'.

That means they must be ours together with what lies beneath.

Isn't this all preceded by the papal bull of 1493 and didn't the French settle first, before ceding the islands to Spain under the terms of the bull? Furthermore, didn't the Brits leave the Falklands to the Spanish (then Argentina) in 1776 and not return for over 50 years? From what's in the article, it seems that Argentina has, at the least, a decent case.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
We couldn't stop it from happening. Of course, Argentina are not in a position to repeat their efforts (and they wouldn't dare risk failure a second time around). We would have to enter a longer period of negotiation, and call on our bigger cousins to help us out. Whether they would bother is, of course, a different matter...
i think we probably could due to the air assets permanently based on the falklands , allowing it to be defended for long enough until the islands could be reinforced by air which wasnt the case in 1982.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
i think we probably could due to the air assets permanently based on the falklands , allowing it to be defended for long enough until the islands could be reinforced by air which wasnt the case in 1982.

There is still a fairly sizeable armed forces prescence on the islands and has been since 1982.

Enough to defend it at least until reinforcements arrived.

A couple of mates of mine were posted over there and i wish i had managed to get posted down there as apparently it's a beautiful place

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
There is still a fairly sizeable armed forces prescence on the islands and has been since 1982.

Enough to defend it at least until reinforcements arrived.

A couple of mates of mine were posted over there and i wish i had managed to get posted down there as apparently it's a beautiful place
i spent 4 months there circa 1985 in their winter, its windy as f*** due to there being hardly any trees and bloody cold !! in one of the tin shacks that masquerades as a pub there was a picture frame on the wall with the flags of tha world on it , for germany they still had the swastika !!

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
i spent 4 months there circa 1985 in their winter, its windy as f*** due to there being hardly any trees and bloody cold !! in one of the tin shacks that masquerades as a pub there was a picture frame on the wall with the flags of tha world on it , for germany they still had the swastika !!

They went down in 94 in their summer and said it was really nice down there. Like you said though it is pretty much still the old tin huts and not much else on the base.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
They went down in 94 in their summer and said it was really nice down there. Like you said though it is pretty much still the old tin huts and not much else on the base.
i wasnt even at MPA, when i was there i lived in lookout camp in stanley and people were still living in coastels in stanley harbour ( pull up a sandbag :))

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
i wasnt even at MPA, when i was there i lived in lookout camp in stanley and people were still living in coastels in stanley harbour ( pull up a sandbag :))

Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like i said it's one of the two postings i really would have liked (Belize being the other)but never got to go :down:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
We did not war with Iraq over oil. If that was true the price of petrol would be lower.Go read some history text starting with the fall of the Ottoman Empire.

Without a smiley I can't tell if you're serious that you believe we didn't go to war over oil - please tell me it was a joke ???

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Did you ever get to go to Tromso in Norway?
nomate , N.ireland twice , denmark twice, the falklands and germany ,oh sorry ascension island for abouut 1/2 a hour on the way to the falklands, when i was in ( said in best old sweat voice)you flew to ascension and got the boat, the old ss uganda down to the islands.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Falklands are a funny place - the land mass of Wales with 2,000 inhabitants. No wonder adultery is RIFE, and it is.

I actually have a friend living there at the moment with her husband and I think she got rather worried when I told her that. :)

Strange FACTOID: The official 6th form college of the Falkland Islands is Peter Symonds in Winchester, which is where I went and I believe where Hiney's kids go, and when my dad went out there for a holiday some piece on government funding improvements to the college was front page news on their "newspaper" :D

As for the political side of things, I doubt it'll ever be resolved as things stand. The sad fact is that Argentinian politicans won't even go to the islands to pay respect to their dead because they object to using a passport. It's a sad state of affairs which I hope is resolved amicably one day.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
nomate , N.ireland twice , denmark twice, the falklands and germany ,oh sorry ascension island for abouut 1/2 a hour on the way to the falklands, when i was in ( said in best old sweat voice)you flew to ascension and got the boat, the old ss uganda down to the islands.

N Ireland twice, Norway twice once in winter minus72 one night :eek: Germany once and Bosnia (not nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here