Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Fair Point? 'Stop Litter Blame Game And Give Us More Bins'

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Rather than just blame just the millennials, you might want to look at the generation that raised & educated the millennials.
The millennials themselves weren’t responsible for the culture that shaped their behaviour, so look at the generation before to see why they behave as they do.

Take some bloody responsibility for yourself more like. Or should we always blame someone else? If you’re in your teens, twenties or thirties and think it’s ok to drop litter and haven’t seen one of those MILLIONS of things called bins, or THOUSANDS of notices on roads and motorways about not dropping litter, nor EVER seen a programme about the monumental catastrophe that is caused by litter of every kind, then I’ll excuse you.

But also call you a liar. And a poor one at that.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Dog owners.
If the dog shit bin is full then please take your dogs poop home with you and put it in your own bin.
Don’t fvcking hang it on a tree or fence, hoping some else else will get rid of it for you.

That is a really weird one isn’t it. Remember a programme once where a tree had scores of hanging from so they set a trap and caught the same bloke chucking it into day after day on his walk. He just said it was something he did, didn’t really know why. Sort of person who needs to be on a register in my opinion. Very odd.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
We live in a blame culture. Blame everyone else for the shit that gets thrown everywhere.....but we never blame the people who leave their shit, it's always the council's fault.
Totally ****s me off.

I live very near a park, there are 2 bins in this park, over the last few months I’ve seen odd household items piled up next to the 2 bins. A few times I’ve seen an old lady putting items next to the bins and filling up the bins, I also saw her walking up the road with some junk, later that day I saw it dumped next to another bin in the area.
One day she filled a bin up with polystyrene and left some next to the bin, this was blowing round the park later on.

I do feel like buying her a dustbin.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
So here's the answers.

More bins. They will still get full up and rubbish placed around them. There would then be the people from the other camp saying we have too many bins and they're spoiling the park

Bigger bins A standard bin when full of bottles and dog shit bags if extremely heavy to empty. A bin twice the size would not be liftable.

Wheelie bins. They would need to be chained to something to stop them being used as go-carts etc. You would also see more domestic rubbish going in them...including small white goods.

More frequent emptying. Parks are dreadfully short staffed as it is. We spend up to 3 hours every morning emptying bins and picking up litter. There is just not the budget to employ people to come along and empty bins at 8pm, 7 days a week.

It's not just a Brighton problem. We've seen this week the litter just strewn all over our parks throughout the country, it's absolutely disgusting the people can leave such a mess behind them.

Oh and if you ever want to see little in Brighton, drive on the A27 from Hollingbury to Patcham. Unbelievable.

If anyone has any suggestions how we can deal with it....suggestions that have been thought through, i'd love to hear them.
There was an argument that the fewer the bins the less rubbish, as people would take it with them, but that doesn't seem to be working.

Best idea is admittedly long term, but drill not littering into young children at school so they can shame the parents into disposing their rubbish properly - like making smoking in public places, supermarket single use carrier bags, drink driving and not wearing a seatbelt becoming unacceptable.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There was an argument that the fewer the bins the less rubbish, as people would take it with them, but that doesn't seem to be working.

Best idea is admittedly long term, but drill not littering into young children at school so they can shame the parents into disposing their rubbish properly - like making smoking in public places, supermarket single use carrier bags, drink driving and not wearing a seatbelt becoming unacceptable.

You would be surprised how many people ignore that rule ! Also on the drive to and from work there are quite a few roadworks now, if you look in your rear view mirror its pretty common that the person behind is looking down at their phone and/or texting. They all know its wrong, they all get away with it.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
I am 100% #TeamJevs

There is no acceptable excuse for littering. People manage to carry everything to where they eat/drink/use whatever it is, so why the f**k can’t they also carry it home and bin/recycle it there? (Or if the nearest bin is full, carry it until you find one with space!)

Quite right
It’s always lighter on the return journey
Tins instead of glass bottles as an example
If people think about the picnic per say as return baggage Because there are No bins
They will soon learn how to reduce weight
Or sadly if Tw@ts it will get discarded anyway
Hopefully overall a massive reduction though

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Take some bloody responsibility for yourself more like. Or should we always blame someone else? If you’re in your teens, twenties or thirties and think it’s ok to drop litter and haven’t seen one of those MILLIONS of things called bins, or THOUSANDS of notices on roads and motorways about not dropping litter, nor EVER seen a programme about the monumental catastrophe that is caused by litter of every kind, then I’ll excuse you.

But also call you a liar. And a poor one at that.

I suggest you familiarise yourself with the word ‘just’

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
A few opinions from me:

- Why do people use fewer plastic carrier bags now? Only because they are now charged for them! Make people pay themselves, individually, and then they act like they "talk".

- Fine people and fine them often. Pay for many more fine officers, or whatever you call them, and back them up with policing. If people know they will be fined then they will be less likely to litter.

- Stop pretending it's about "education". Everyone knows now about the threat to the environment, especially the young. Many people just don't care, especially the young, it's not about lack of information or ignorance.

- Invest in proper recycling especially of glass, cans and plastic bottles. Give "empties" value - charge more for them and get a "return" fee. My dad always tells me as a kid they would go round and collect rubbish of value. Then when a dickhead who doesn't care drops an empty someone else will collect them and get money. They do this in Scandinavia and if you go to India everything dumped is stripped and of value to someone else.

- Make companies who sell these goods comply to certain standards - my understanding is that milk companies got together and all milk bottles come in the same form of plastic, HDPE, making them all easily recycleable. The government should enforce this sort of consistency across the board, forget about free trade and capitalism, this is what a government is for: to protect the people and the environment.

- edit - I'm part of the Brighton Tidy Up Team and regularly litterpick independently and the group picks (when they return). I often litterpick on Dyke Railway Path and it's somewhat depressing that the litter regularly returns. But at the end of the day it is the few who collect and tidy up the mess from the many. Long ago I decided to look after my world as if it was ALL my own back garden and **** everyone else. Most people only keep their own back garden tidy and somehow expect "the council" or it seems magic fecking fairies to tidy up everywhere else. It is niaive beyond belief always expecting "someone else" to tidy up. Tidy it up yourself!!

Last edited:

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I honestly think that we could instal a million litter bins, and it wouldn't make a smidgen of difference, the morons that litter the beaches and countryside don't think of looking for a bin to dispose of it, or consider taking it home with them, they simply drop it wherever they like, with absolutely no thought or consideration whatsoever.

Yes - strange how they can carry it there but can’t carry it home.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I live very near a park, there are 2 bins in this park, over the last few months I’ve seen odd household items piled up next to the 2 bins. A few times I’ve seen an old lady putting items next to the bins and filling up the bins, I also saw her walking up the road with some junk, later that day I saw it dumped next to another bin in the area.
One day she filled a bin up with polystyrene and left some next to the bin, this was blowing round the park later on.

I do feel like buying her a dustbin.

A chavvy household near me did this, until someone emptied their bags of rubbish back over their gate. Think they got the message it’s not ok to fill up public bins with your own shit, not leave next to. Which is essentially fly tipping.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
A chavvy household near me did this, until someone emptied their bags of rubbish back over their gate. Think they got the message it’s not ok to fill up public bins with your own shit, not leave next to. Which is essentially fly tipping.

I did think of putting the rubbish over her fence, but knowing my luck I would probably get caught for fly tipping.
I have got a feeling the old lady has got learning difficulties, so I don’t really want to confront her, she seems a bit odd as she has got a council recycling bin in her front garden but puts paper and cardboard in the park bin.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
Sorry Tom you’re so wrong on this one, extra bins will not help, the amount of litter I see isn’t down to lack of bins imo it’s down to the laziness of the litter droppers. There were oil drums for litter every ten yards or so at Glastonbury festival in the Babylon bit but it didn’t stop people just dropping it and not caring.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I've never dropped any litter. If I can't find a bin, I take it home. The only exception is if I eat an apple in the car, I sometimes throw the core out the window in to the hedgerows to decompose naturally or be eaten by wildlife. Honestly, that's it. I genuinely couldn't drop rubbish or litter and don't understand how it has become the norm. Poor parenting I suppose???

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Can't the council just employ more of their "litter police"? About 5 years ago I got stopped walking up Queens Road on my way back to the station by one of those "environmental officers" after I flicked my roll up fag butt down a drain.

Cost me £80.

Considering I'd already put it out and rolled it into a tiny little ball before I flicked it the punishment seemed somewhat harsh for what is a totally degradable item that weighed less than a couple of grams considering what others get away with..

Never dropped anything on purpose on the streets of B&H since.

Just line the beach front with them watching the public. They only need 1 officer to catch 1 person a day to cover costs and as there is no appeal process it'll be a cash cow for the council like parking.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Sorry not even going to read the link.

There is NO excuse for the litter dropping, I saw a man voluntary picking up litter for 4 hours the other day, along a country road, it had all been dumped from car windows.

Fine them make them spend 4 full days picking up litter.

They won't do it again.

Personally that doesn't go far enough... 3 strikes and you're out - prison followed by involuntary sterilisation - perhaps that might be enough of a deterrent. Drives me nuts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here