Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Faggots" in films

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Intersting story crept into the paopers about Eddie Murphy, who is declining to co-host the Oscars next year bvecause a producer friend of his has been censored and sacked for making a remark about "faggots".

This word has a funny career in US films. Recently I saw "THe Andeson Tapes" made in the late 1960's where Sean Connery has a sidekick who is openly called a "faggot" by several other characters. At points he embraces connery which must have been a bit of an "ooh" moment in the cinemas then.

Leter on in "The Eiger Sanction" Clibnt Eastwood starred against a very "camp" figure with a poodle named... "Faggot".

NMurphy himself in "Beverly Hills cop" camped it up at one point to gain entry to an exclusive club to meet the (English) villain.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The word Faggot has also been used in Murphys stand up to describe homosexuals. Just like we would say poofter they/he says faggot.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Erm... what is this post about?

You mention an 'interesting story' about eddie murphy, is that what it's about?

Is the story that he quit when Brett Ratner was removed from producing the oscars after using offensive language shortly after talking about 'banging olivia munn' and discussing her not being asian enough, and suggesting she was a bit of a whore, when he thought she'd written something about him masturbating his undersized manhood while eating shimp, in a book (she doesn't name the director she saw do this, he claimed it was him, she says it wasn't). He generally had a bad couple of weeks of press, it wasn't just about one word (though I imagine it was a major factor).

You then seem to go off on the history of 'faggot' in movies is it about that? You can also go back to old films and see the n-word. They both still appear in modern movies. Language changes, what were normal conversational words become offensive as their meaning changes, as they develop history and a related prejudice and denigration. But words appearing in movies doesn't make them acceptable for common public conversation.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
TMLS is right....and to carry on the Sean Connery theme he refers obliquely to Mr Wint and Mr Kidd as poofters. When he's trapped in the tunnel in the desert in Diamonds are Forever a mouse starts sniffing the air and Connery says "One of us smells like a poofter's hanky.."

Christ knows why or how I remember these things.

Oh, and Money for Nothing by Dire Straits makes reference to 'faggots', doesn't it?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
TMLS is right....and to carry on the Sean Connery theme he refers obliquely to Mr Wint and Mr Kidd as poofters. When he's trapped in the tunnel in the desert in Diamonds are Forever a mouse starts sniffing the air and Connery says "One of us smells like a poofter's hanky.."

Oh, and Money for Nothing by Dire Straits makes reference to 'faggots', doesn't it?

"The little faggot with the earing and the make-up" - if memory serves.

Has Eddie Murphy ever made a decent film other than trading places (which is rather dated now, apart from Ms Lee Curtis' breasticles)

Jul 20, 2003

quote is in FACT

'tart's handkerchief'

....Sorry old boy

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea

No he doesn't. The line is, in fact, "one of us smells like a tart's handkerchief"

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
The difference in remarks as I see it is about 25 years...

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Is this the same Eddie Murphy who was stopped by the police after he picked up transvestite prostitute in LA?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Is this the same Eddie Murphy who was stopped by the police after he picked up transvestite prostitute in LA?
That's the one! But he's a star....and they're allowed double standards. And a portable soap box...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I should stick to music. I'm on safer ground there. I know rap is littered with homophobic lyrics but one notable use of the word fag is in Eminem's 'Without You' where he calls Moby a 36 year old fag. In return, Moby had subliminal messages about Eminem placed at strategic points in his 'Wait For Me' album. If you listen carefully you can just about make out Moby whispering 'f*** you, Eminem you ****ing wanker. Next time I see you, I'm going to rip your head off, shit down your neck and then use your bloodied carcass as a rubber johnny as I shag your mum up the arse".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here