Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Faggots" in films

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Just refreshed my memory watching "The Eiger Sanction" last night on ITV.

There are some interesting parallels to other films in it, notably the Sergio Leone westerns made in the mid-late 1960's. Eastwood of course starred in the "Man With No Name" trilogy, ending with "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly".

During the last film both Eastwood ("The Good") and Eli Wallach ("The Ugly") in turn abandon each other in the Mojave Desert - actually filmed in Almeria in Spain - having got the drop. Both say, when the other protests that they are miles away from water in the searing heat "I think a man like you could make it". Both duly do.

In "The Eiger Sanction" Eastwood drives Miles (the extreme camp character) out to the classic landscape with the tower stacks (which he has been seen practicing climbing on earlier) after shooting his butch bodyguard, which reduces Miles to screaming rage. When Clint (as Hemlock) orders Miles out of the jeep he virtually collapses in panic, and screams after Hemlock that he will die. He is later reported by Clint's henchman as having been found dead later "deader than a ..."(the parallel escapes my memory). Miles is even abandoned by the dog "Faggot" which jumps onto Hemlock's jeep as it drives off.
This classic backdrop was earlier used memorably by Leone in 1968 in "Once Upon a Time in the West" where a tavern run by the villains is set up in the middle of nowhere.

I had forgotten how ambivalent the whole "Eiger Sanction" is, it pokes savage fun at what is obviously the CIA. This at a time when the CIA were under attack for supporting president Nixon's dark deeds in the White House. The "Miles" character was played by an actor called Jack Cassidy, who shortly afterwards died in a rather tragic manner.

Jack Cassidy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eastwood himself at the start of the film plays a rather camp Swiss pizza delivery boy in order to ID his first "Sanction" in Zurich. He later climbs up a drainpipe to get access to the flat, and generally is shown doing some very energetic climbing. Did this all get covered by stuntmen - some of it is very realistic.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Faggots, chips and pea fritters from the chip shop in Bridport Dorset, Wonderful

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Jack Cassidy was the father of the 1970's "teen dream" David Cassidy who starred in "The Partridge Family".

As far as I know partridges have never been used in meat faggots.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here