Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Facundo Buonanotte **On Loan To Leicester 10/08/24**

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He’s ok but he’s still developing. Not that quick and not that strong (yet). And would have gone on loan last season but for Enciso’s injury.

The buy back is a little odd in that context but the loan makes sense (and the buy back will if we get in better while making a nice kerching on FB).

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think there is an emotional bond with Facu and us fans that is making this potential loan difficult to stomach. Especially on Groß-leaving-day. I think we might be missing the big picture.

Him scoring against Palace and Chelsea was amazing and we love him for it. We also love him for his potential because we see glimpses of a brilliant dribble, an amazing shot or some inspired one touch passing.

But he is 19. He plays like Mac Allister in the 20/21 season. He is not currently a top ten EPL player. Should we be handing out squad positions to players who might be brilliant one day or who are good enough now?

I have absolutely no doubt that Tony and Paul will want us to push for a top six place again. Is Buonanotte currently the man to drive that ambition? No. Will he be in the future? There is a good chance but he needs a lot of minutes in my opinion. He won’t get them here this season, hence the loan.

Best of luck to him. I genuinely hope he returns stronger, faster, more composed and ready for top level performances in the Premier League.

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
Sorry if this is bleedin‘ obvious but…

if they could meet the price of the OTB are we then required to sell him? Or could we refuse and bring him home? I’m guessing the former…

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

if they could meet the price of the OTB are we then required to sell him? Or could we refuse and bring him home? I’m guessing the former…
You guess right. Also OTB in this case meaning option to buy, OTB could also mean obligation to buy.

In short if they match the option price, we have to accept. It’s then up to the player to decide - he doesn’t have to go.

Edit: further information.

Why do selling clubs offer a set price? See what happened with Undav, it protects the value of their player if he has an excellent season and increases his value due to his loan performances. If he flops, it doesn’t prevent the loaning club from making a lower offer if they feel the player is still worth keeping.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

Yup we'd be required to accept the bid. Thats the entire purpose of it, otherwise they could have just asked £14m?" at the end of the season and we'd have said yes/no.

He would however need to agree to the deal himself. If he has a super mega season in Eredivisie, big teams in Europe would be get interested, and he might think "nah I might turn down this Feyenoord offer and move to... Atletico Madrid". And then the clause with Feyenoord of course won't matter - we could ask for £50m from Atletico, if we want.

So we're probably relatively protected here. If he has a "good, not great" season in Feyenoord I guess they could buy him, but if he is a flop or top, he's unlikely to move there permanently.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Best of luck to him. I genuinely hope he returns stronger, faster, more composed and ready for top level performances in the Premier League.
If there is an option to buy, then you could easily see a situation, he has a couple of years in the Eredivisie, then is snapped up by a rival of ours for big money.

Now that would be frustrating

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yup we'd be required to accept the bid. Thats the entire purpose of it, otherwise they could have just asked £14m?" at the end of the season and we'd have said yes/no.

He would however need to agree to the deal himself. If he has a super mega season in Eredivisie, big teams in Europe would be get interested, and he might think "nah I might turn down this Feyenoord offer and move to... Atletico Madrid". And then the clause with Feyenoord of course won't matter - we could ask for £50m from Atletico, if we want.

So we're probably relatively protected here. If he has a "good, not great" season in Feyenoord I guess they could buy him, but if he is a flop or top, he's unlikely to move there permanently.
I think the move happens if he does not kick on this season and stays at his current level. It would then need a big gamble from the Dutch to pay the sort of money required in the hope they can significantly increase his value and sell him off at a later date (with ourselves obviously getting a big percentage sell on).

Unlikely as you state.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
It seems like we’re remodelling the squad in line with how we think Fab is going to play. A deep DM/3rd CB (Weiffer/Baleba), and then 2 athletic box to box midfielders, with 2 wide attackers (got loads of those…) and a striker. Not easy to see how Buonanotte (or indeed Gilmour) fit into that. I’m broadly ok with this - we all said we lacked pace and athleticism last season. The concern is that we’re massively lacking in quality/experience in the box to box midfield position and need 1, possibly 2 signings there. Still need a RB too.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

Hmmm

Couldn't feyernoord activate the clause and then sell him for triple straight away ?! Maybe there's something in the contract preventing that.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
It seems like we’re remodelling the squad in line with how we think Fab is going to play. A deep DM/3rd CB (Weiffer/Baleba), and then 2 athletic box to box midfielders, with 2 wide attackers (got loads of those…) and a striker. Not easy to see how Buonanotte (or indeed Gilmour) fit into that. I’m broadly ok with this - we all said we lacked pace and athleticism last season. The concern is that we’re massively lacking in quality/experience in the box to box midfield position and need 1, possibly 2 signings there. Still need a RB too.
I think you're right.

It's a tricky balance because if fab fails then we are stuck with a lopsided squad for the next manager !

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I agree with all this but think that we only need one athletic box to box midfielder playing alongside a genuine attacking midfielder.

We need that KDH signing still. I think Ferdi Kaıdioğlu could play both centre midfield roles (box to box and CAM) as well as the right back or right wing back role.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
He’s ok but he’s still developing. Not that quick and not that strong (yet). And would have gone on loan last season but for Enciso’s injury.

The buy back is a little odd in that context but the loan makes sense (and the buy back will if we get in better while making a nice kerching on FB).
Agreed. He is entirely 'potential' at this point. And frankly potential that is not quite as easy to spot as some of the youngsters we've had. Very sporadic and wouldn't have been in the team much last season with a fully fit squad.

If his position is a 10, and we have encsio and Pedro available and we've recruited well to the winger positions he's some way off getting games. The only option is to jam him into midfield and hope he magically turns into Macallister because he also happens to be from Argentina.

I sometimes think people WANT to believe a youngster with a big rep from argentina has shown absolutely loads of certainty that hes going to be great because its a good story and fits our narrative of finding gems. But he really hasnt. Hes been broadly ok for a kid with a few good moments.

My prediction is that he'll do 'alright' in an easier league and we'll be in the same position again next summer.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
A buy option between 15-20m is nothing, if he develops how we expect.

Yes it's Feyenoord's record but if he's that good they could buy him at 15 and flip him at 30 no problem at all and then we're out of pocket. Although having said that maybe that accounts for the value they've given him by developing him for a year.

I doubt that Feyenoord will have agreed to the Stuttgart style structure, if nothing else because they're watching Stuttgart now struggling to get their player and won't want a repeat.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Evening Nobby...you must not speculate or assume on this Forum otherwise Couldn't be Hyypia and the likes will come down on you like a ton of bricks. It's only hard facts they want. How dare the likes of you and me have an opinion or dare to speculate!!! I got lambasted last night calling the Undav POSSIBLE transfer saga weird. I would like to see Gilmour stay but would be excited if we could get Gruda or a Ferdi deal done. Would of loved to have had Gallagher or McTominay but except that's not the Brighton way. Anyway I mustn't ramble on otherwise I will upset the NSC Patron Hyypia yet again!
Very flattered to be mentioned in despatches and to have got under your skin!

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Probably been covered, but i'd hope the club will have an immediate buy back option like they do with Undav.
Yeah that's how i'm seeing it. FH's system doesn't have an advanced 10. Also wondering where Enciso fits into it. Rotation with Mitoma perhaps?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Hmmm

Couldn't feyernoord activate the clause and then sell him for triple straight away ?! Maybe there's something in the contract preventing that.
Same thing happening with Undav isn’t there? Option to buy which includes a buy back clause just above the amount of the loan to buy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here