Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fabian Hürzeler **SINGED 15/06/2024**

Would Fabian Hurzeler be a good replacement for RDZ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Do we know if there are any SP players of the right standard that FH may try to bring with him in the trf window. ( Assuming FH signs on of course)
Marcel Hartel is leaving the club at the expiry of his contract, 28 and scored 21 goals last season. Bit too old for us really.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
No. Our transfer targets are identified as fitting our playing style. Regardless of whether they’re senior or prospect.

There absolutely have been exceptions, such as Dahoud, and they’ve been dogshit, which is why you’re not going to see that happen frequently in the future.

It is the head coach’s job to play the best team they can with the squad that Brighton provides them with.

The head coach can say that they absolutely don’t want somebody, and the club would I’m sure listen to them, but the club can’t afford to place too much weight on head coaches input when it comes to recruitment, a head coach is usually there for 2-3 seasons, while players sign for 4-5 years and cost more.

The club have to be convinced of the players skills and values, the head coach can give their input, but they really aren’t the deciding factor in transfers, it would be a crazy way to run a football club.
This is just one example, there are also examples of players we've signed who the manager has not been interested in, then we've sold at a loss. Its not a perfect art.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
In that you wouldn't sign him or we don't tend to sign 28 year olds? Because 36 goal involvements in 37 appearances across all competitions is impressive, even in a second division.
I don't think he fits what the club wants, wouldn't rule it out though.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Will he bring coach beard with him?

IMG_0193.jpeg

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Yes, it's always tougher when the opposition know what to expect, but Hurzeler is more pragmatic than De Zerbi and will alter things if results are not going his way. A St.Pauli fan has said on here that in some games they looked poor first half, then Hurzeler tweaked a few things and they were transformed in the second half.
He knew that division and his squad well when he took over, and that will have made it easier than it will be coming here, but he has the tools.
It's one thing doing that against opponents from the second tier in Germany, but it remains to be seen if he can do it against some of the best coaches in the world in the PL.

I'm excited, but like everyone, have no idea how FH will adapt.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
It was Trossard, yes. However, we’re not going back to Potter days, let alone Hughton, whoever coaches us in the future will play a variation on our current football. I have huge respect for Hughton, he did us proud, but I can understand players feeling that as a manager he was of the older generation. He wasn’t always the quickest to give younger players a chance.
Oh yeah, totally agree we're not going back. I never subscribed to the idea of Potter being RDZ's replacement. Hughton was the right man at the right time to do what he did. Potter was the right man at the right time to take the foundation Hughton laid and move us onwards. RDZ was the right man to take what Potter did and elevate it yet again. Going back to Potter (or Hughton) would be wrong. Hurzeler (assuming we get him) will be a risk, but a risk worth taking. A hungry young manager to go with our hungry young squad could be a very exciting season ahead.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Again, this is true of kids - such as Barco whom you cited as an example of a signing that had nothing to do with our manager - but less so of experienced players, of whom we have too few, so it's a valid concern.
No, it's the same for a lot of them too, especially foreign players. As I say, you will get the odd case where the manager/head coach is important and a factor, usually for players who are viewing going into coaching/management themselves, but the majority of the time, it isn't.

Trust me, this is an area I know a lot about!

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
Don't wear a club shirt, but as I sit with 3 mates, had considered getting one each with, Gassed, Battered, Wanked Off, Stabbed on the back, no one wanted to walk about with wanked off on their back though.
Maybe put "just" in front of it

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It's one thing doing that against opponents from the second tier in Germany, but it remains to be seen if he can do it against some of the best coaches in the world in the PL.

I'm excited, but like everyone, have no idea how FH will adapt.
Well, we don't know how he will adapt, but we know he is adaptable.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Oh my giddy aunt YES!
Bye Bye Paul. Thanks and all that but……
View attachment 183962
Got to be one of the hottest older actresses/celebrities for a very long time. Beautiful, sexy, entertaining, intelligent, talented, full of personality, funny and who knows what other compliments she is deserving of? Sigh…………

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
There’s a table way back in this thread somewhere of the league ranked by wage spend. They had something like the 18th highest budget, and won the league.
That's the one I posted I think (from somewhere noddy like footystats.com or suchlike). I've since seen other sources show a slightly different table - more like 7th highest budget IIRC.

The point that his team has significantly over-performed relative to its budget still stands though.

He's a coach and a builder rather than a buyer.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Can I ask, does anyone know the correct pronunciation of his name... Is it 'Faybian' ?.. and what about the surname?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
No. Our transfer targets are identified as fitting our playing style. Regardless of whether they’re senior or prospect.

There absolutely have been exceptions, such as Dahoud, and they’ve been dogshit, which is why you’re not going to see that happen frequently in the future.

It is the head coach’s job to play the best team they can with the squad that Brighton provides them with.

The head coach can say that they absolutely don’t want somebody, and the club would I’m sure listen to them, but the club can’t afford to place too much weight on head coaches input when it comes to recruitment, a head coach is usually there for 2-3 seasons, while players sign for 4-5 years and cost more.

The club have to be convinced of the players skills and values, the head coach can give their input, but they really aren’t the deciding factor in transfers, it would be a crazy way to run a football club.
I don’t think we need a manager installed to identify players / administrate behind the scenes however from the incoming players point of view, knowing who you are working with, their style, the likelihood of featuring in the first eleven has to be significantly important in deciding to join us or someone else

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here